Which Icing Tip?

Decorating By murf Updated 2 Sep 2008 , 9:02am by murf

murf Posted 1 Sep 2008 , 1:56pm
post #1 of 4

Afternoon all,
I have watched a couple of You Tube videos in the last couple of days as I want to start getting more practise at BC iced cakes. In several of them, the decorator seems to be using a large flat icing nozzle/tip as a fast/clean way to put on the BC before starting to smooth with a spatula. I've searched at all my local cake deco shops but no one seems to know what this tip is. Can anyone enlighten me - make and number would be great if you know it then I can look on the Internet.
Thank you

3 replies
armywifebryan Posted 1 Sep 2008 , 2:11pm
post #2 of 4

The one I have is a wilton 789. It is like a giant basket weave tip. It is flat on one side and ridged on the other. Comes in handy every now and then. A lot of times though I don't even use it. You have to have the giant bag to go with it and I find that by the time I fill the big bag, I could have already put my icing on my cake with a spatula. HTH


kakeladi Posted 1 Sep 2008 , 6:17pm
post #3 of 4

This tip is often refered to as the cake icer tip.
It is 2" wide. You will need an 18" bag to hold it.

murf Posted 2 Sep 2008 , 9:02am
post #4 of 4

Thank you both for the replies. I have now ordered one so I'll let you know what I think!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%