Honest Opinion/experience With Crisco?

Decorating By kymscakes Updated 1 Sep 2008 , 4:40pm by howsweet

kymscakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kymscakes Posted 1 Sep 2008 , 1:51pm
post #1 of 8

In an effort to improve my cakes, I swithched to hi-ratio shortning a couple of months ago, I bought Alpine. All summer, I have not been able to get any icing to crust. I have been very frustrated. I have posted for advice several times and tried many different icing recipes, all with the same result. I have had to smoothe every cake using a hot spatula, which I am not a fan of. So, a few days ago, I had a small cake to do and had a can of crisco sitting in my kitchen so I decided to just use that. Well, perfect crust. So, now what? Is this normal with hi-ratio shortning? I can't tell a difference with flavor, as I have said a million times, I can't stand icing anyway.
I am really needing advice....
Thanks,
Kym

7 replies
indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 1 Sep 2008 , 2:06pm
post #2 of 8

It sounds like a commercial, but 25 years ago "....I tried a cheaper brand of shortening" and my roses wouldn't hold their shape and fell off of the cake. I've never used anything but crisco ever since, and I've never had any problems. The big hoopla about what a crisis the new zero-trans-fat crisco was to a lot of folks was news to me. I never would have known there was a formula change if I hadn't read about it on here.

Because I've never had any problems or issues, I've never seen a need to change shortenings or try something else.

Cake_Princess Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cake_Princess Posted 1 Sep 2008 , 2:16pm
post #3 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by indydebi

I've never used anything but crisco ever since, and I've never had any problems. The big hoopla about what a crisis the new zero-trans-fat crisco was to a lot of folks was news to me. I never would have known there was a formula change if I hadn't read about it on here.

Because I've never had any problems or issues, I've never seen a need to change shortenings or try something else.

I am with Indydebi on this one, I have yet to have a problem with the transfat free Crisco. If I need to use icing with shortening I use Crisco.

JodieF Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JodieF Posted 1 Sep 2008 , 2:26pm
post #4 of 8

I'm far from professional, but I've never noticed a difference either!

Jodie

newmansmom2004 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
newmansmom2004 Posted 1 Sep 2008 , 2:29pm
post #5 of 8

I don't use Crisco just because it has such a greasy mouth feel that I really don't like. I use Super Quik Blend hi-ratio shortening and get a nice fluffy white icing that can be smoothed very easily using the Viva paper towel method. I won't use anything else.

amoos Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
amoos Posted 1 Sep 2008 , 2:32pm
post #6 of 8

Never tried the Hi Ration b/c I can't get it here. I have tried the store brand shortening b/c it still had transfat but still wasn't as good as crisco to me. I haven't had any problems with it...so until then, I'll stick with crisco.

Rocketgirl899 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rocketgirl899 Posted 1 Sep 2008 , 3:42pm
post #7 of 8

I use CK hi-ratio in central florida.

I have used crisco as well. I do notice the "crusting" gets harder with crisco, but the high ratio seems "fresher" because the crust doesn't get as hard.

Kym, have you tried the viva paper towel method and printer paper finishing touch that Sugar Shack suggests?

Best of luck!

howsweet Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
howsweet Posted 1 Sep 2008 , 4:40pm
post #8 of 8

Once I tried hi-ratio, I never looked back. I only use 1 part shortening to 3 parts butter and I can still tell the difference. Crisco or other regular shortening is too heavy, imho.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%