Cakeboard Foils/covers

Business By Trixyinaz Updated 7 Sep 2008 , 2:56am by kickasscakes

Trixyinaz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Trixyinaz Posted 1 Sep 2008 , 12:57pm
post #1 of 10

Okay, where ever I go I always look for cool foil to cover my cakeboards. I have only ever seen silver, white or gold....sometimes green or red. Where do you all get such cool looking foil/cakeboard covers? If you don't use foil, what do you use that has all those cool designs. I've heard someone say they use scrapbooking paper, but wouldn't your cake make the paper soggy when you set it on it? Not to mention the ink.

Thanks!

Vicki

9 replies
cakesbyamym Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesbyamym Posted 1 Sep 2008 , 1:16pm
post #2 of 10

I have gotten to where I use shelf paper. Yep, the same kind that you line cabinets and such with. I use a little doille or parchment in between the cake/board. They work beautifully, and they really go a long way. I pretty much stick with just white and ivory. After all, one or the other will go with everything, right? icon_biggrin.gif

vagostino Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vagostino Posted 1 Sep 2008 , 1:23pm
post #3 of 10

I alwas use either plastic tablecloths (the ones that come in a lot of colors that you get at party city etc), i figured since they are tablecloths they are food safe, plus my cake has a cardboard underneath. Also, i use pretty papers (scrapbooking or wrapping) and i cover it with clear contact.

sharlene_marie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sharlene_marie Posted 1 Sep 2008 , 1:29pm
post #4 of 10

I actually go to my local dollar store... You can get a roll of 15 ft of wrapping paper that looks pretty and is waterproof... So if you spill something on it, it just wipes clean... They have pretty colors too like rose, chrome, and blue...

moxey2000 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
moxey2000 Posted 1 Sep 2008 , 1:31pm
post #5 of 10

Do you use a smear of icing to get the cardboard under the cake to stick to the covered board? If not, then what do you use? I've always wondered how a cake that's on a cardboard that's cut the same size as the cake (like for fondant covered cakes) stays onto the cake board without sliding around. On Ace of Cakes they do it all the time, but I've never been able to tell how they get the cake to stay on the board.

MichelleM77 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MichelleM77 Posted 2 Sep 2008 , 2:46am
post #6 of 10

I tape my cake board (the one the size of the cake) to the foil covered one. OTher than that, the weight of the cake holds it on the board (especially fondant covered ones). I've never had one slide.

jibbies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jibbies Posted 2 Sep 2008 , 2:56am
post #7 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trixyinaz

Okay, where ever I go I always look for cool foil to cover my cakeboards. I have only ever seen silver, white or gold....sometimes green or red. Where do you all get such cool looking foil/cakeboard covers? If you don't use foil, what do you use that has all those cool designs. I've heard someone say they use scrapbooking paper, but wouldn't your cake make the paper soggy when you set it on it? Not to mention the ink.

Thanks!

Vicki

I used scrapbook paper that looked like hardwood flooring for this slumber party cake. I covered it with clear contact paper.
http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-photo_1260221.html
I'm always looking for pretty, unique things to cover my boards. I'm really fortunate that we have a cake supply store here and she stocks beautiful foil for covering boards. And don't forget the scrapbook section

Jibbies

kickasscakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kickasscakes Posted 2 Sep 2008 , 2:42pm
post #8 of 10

What is clear contact paper?

jibbies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jibbies Posted 6 Sep 2008 , 12:47pm
post #9 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by snowbuns

What is clear contact paper?

I'm sorry that it took so long to answer, This is my week to work. I only work one week a month. Clear contact paper is actualy shelf liner. Thats the section you will find it in at grocery stores or Wal-Mart. It has an adhesive on one side and wipes off easily. It comes on a roll and you peel off the paper. It usually has marks on the paper that you can see to cut straight lines. You can also purchase it at Michaels or Hobby Lobby. (Coupons icon_wink.gif ).

Jibbies

kickasscakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kickasscakes Posted 7 Sep 2008 , 2:56am
post #10 of 10

thanks I will try that!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%