Samples?

Decorating By Chefperl Updated 2 Sep 2008 , 2:32am by Rocketgirl899

Chefperl Posted 1 Sep 2008 , 12:33pm
post #1 of 14

I need some advice.
I am making cupcakes, cookies, and centerpieces for a Bat Mitzvah for a previous customer.
The centerpieces are a big bucket of candy popcorn with 3 cookies made to look like an admission ticket with some balloons coming out of that.
I made a sample when I was making other cookies, but they got ruined. I gave her an idea and now she wants to see a "perfect sample"
i am only charging $30 per centerpiece and i am feeling like a sample of three cookies is crazy.
Is this a reasonable request? Do i just shut up and do it?
(there will be 6 centerpieces all together.)

13 replies
indydebi Posted 1 Sep 2008 , 12:49pm
post #2 of 14

sounds like she's placing an order, to me.

lu9129 Posted 1 Sep 2008 , 12:59pm
post #3 of 14

That is too cheap.

Is this order a done deal or is she still deciding on you?

If she wants a "perfect sample" I'd charge her. You gave her an idea on what you are doing. Tell her you always (and stress always) strive for perfection for your orders.

How big and how much are you charging for your
cupcakes?

Just laugh at her and say "Oh you wanted perfection on those baskets, that will be 50 per basket then" (Just joking).

In all seriousness now. I would have to charge more for the baskets. I would not make her a "perfect sample" if you gave her an idea what you are doing. And if you quoted her 30 dollars then there is not much you can do about that.

I personally would hope this order wouldn't come through. She is going to be a PITA.

HTH
LU

Rocketgirl899 Posted 1 Sep 2008 , 1:08pm
post #4 of 14

If she wants to see a full centerpeice before the party, you should charge her the $30 you charge her for the other basket. If she just wants to see the cookie, I would charge her the cost of 3 cookies (which I hope you charge at least 3 bux for)

I think she is being a pain. If she has seen your work before she should know what to expect.

If it was a questoin of flavor I would say do it.

Chefperl Posted 1 Sep 2008 , 1:20pm
post #5 of 14

She already placed an order and i got the deposit.
She is being a PITA anyway.
I did make her cupcakes for her last bat Mitzvah and she loved them, and I also make her brownies all the time. so she knows my stuff tastes good.
She is providing the buckets i am "filling" them with popcorn, (i am adding tissue paper to the bottom of the bowl b/c the buckets are too big- she knows).
I charged her $4.5 a cookie.
I will be honest, cookies are not my strength.
I think she wants to see them, b/c i made cookies for someone last night and they were OK not the best, and she was at the party.
i don't want to offer cookies anymore as in my neighborhood people don;t want to pay a lot for them and they are time consuming.
So I should call her and tell her I can do a sample but it will be $20 (the cost of the cookies and my cost popcorn) that will at least cover my material.
On the other hand, the total for her order is $697? am i being cheap? or is this a ligit request?

-K8memphis Posted 1 Sep 2008 , 1:25pm
post #6 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chefperl

I need some advice.
I am making cupcakes, cookies, and centerpieces for a Bat Mitzvah for a previous customer.
The centerpieces are a big bucket of candy popcorn with 3 cookies made to look like an admission ticket with some balloons coming out of that.
I made a sample when I was making other cookies, but they got ruined. I gave her an idea and now she wants to see a "perfect sample"
i am only charging $30 per centerpiece and i am feeling like a sample of three cookies is crazy.
Is this a reasonable request? Do i just shut up and do it?
(there will be 6 centerpieces all together.)

You have a coupla issues colliding here.

I could be wrong but I am going to assume she knows her first sample got ruined which is what is prompting this rather demanding request for a "perfect sample".

So next time never let on to something getting ruined because it shakes folks' confidence.

So you need to somehow restore her confidence in you--if a nice sample will do and you want the order I guess you should go ahead and make it.

But still yet I would make it smaller, make it nice and comforting but not perfect. Or make it full sized and charge her the $30 as was already mentioned. In other words grant her request to restore her trust in you but retain control--don't let chickie get too pushy. Kwim?

Jocmom Posted 1 Sep 2008 , 1:53pm
post #7 of 14

She sounds like one of my coworkers. A very nice guy, but whenever I make a presentation he needs a chart of some sort to help him visualize the data. For example, if there was a 50% increase in new loan volume and a 45% decrease in delinquencies in the past 6 months, I need a graph to show him what that looks like on paper. She may just be having a hard time picturing the finished product.

Also, I have to agree with the previous post - if she knows that the original one got ruined, she may be doubting your ability to create 6 perfect centerpieces for her event.

Rocketgirl899 Posted 1 Sep 2008 , 3:36pm
post #8 of 14

I guess another question... if she isn't happy with the final product, would you be willing to refund some money?

I didn't know the total was nearly $700. I wouldn't tell her "$20 will cover the cost of materials." Your time is materials and worth a lot.

I would do a mock up and take it as a learning experience. Perhaps in the future advise the client that mock ups will cost the same. (maybe minus cost of supplies you can use again)

AS for cookies. I think they are the devil! They take way to long and everytime I take suggustions or make something I don't enjoy I have problems which make me hate them more.

julzs71 Posted 1 Sep 2008 , 4:53pm
post #9 of 14

If you haven't given her a good cookie display I would do another one. You may learn how to get them just right this time. 700 is a good chunk of money. If I were paying for that I would want awesome cookies not O.K. cookies.

-K8memphis Posted 1 Sep 2008 , 6:25pm
post #10 of 14

$700? It's a $180 order isn't it??

Jasmine33 Posted 1 Sep 2008 , 7:42pm
post #11 of 14

Maybe her cookie displays are $180.00 but she is ordering cake as well. Thus the $697.00??

Chefperl Posted 1 Sep 2008 , 9:14pm
post #12 of 14

so this is what is happening.
i am making her cupcakes, cookies, centerpieces and an art project (sandy candy). that is the total of almost 700.
I only agreed to make her one cookie in the first place.
My family was here and it got ruined, (the icing smudged) so i brouhgt her a sample of the popcorn and the bucket and the cookie.
She said it was fine, signed the contract and gave me a deposit. then this morning she sent me an email that said she wanted to see the entire thing to make her feel better.
So I emailed her back and told her that i can do it for her for $30 or if it is the cookie she is worried about I can make her a cookie dummy.
I am waiting to hear back from her.
She wants to see everything by Thursday, i just don't have time this week to add on cookies that need to be "perfect". I am only one person how many things can i do at once.
Well I am waiting to hear back form her.
I am nervous though as she knows a lot of people.

Jasmine33 Posted 1 Sep 2008 , 9:21pm
post #13 of 14

Well I hope you get this sorted!

Rocketgirl899 Posted 2 Sep 2008 , 2:32am
post #14 of 14

Best of Luck.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%