Any One Else Suffer With Insomnia?

Lounge By hallfamily727 Updated 3 Sep 2008 , 8:28pm by Pookie59

hallfamily727 Posted 1 Sep 2008 , 11:03am
post #1 of 14

I'm on day 4 with very, very little to no sleep. I have 3 kids that need me to function normally, so I don't feel comfortable taking some drug to knock me out for the night...esp b/c my 2 yr old sometimes wakes up during the night. I'm too tired, even though I'm awake, to even accomplish anything, either. Any tips? Suggestions?

13 replies
veejaytx Posted 1 Sep 2008 , 11:13am
post #2 of 14

I'm not sure mine is insomnia, it is more sleep deprivation, and I've been like this for about 20 years. I only sleep 1 1/2 to 2 hours at a time...once in a great while I manage 3 hours and then I'm like I was drugged when I do wake up. Miserable way to live.

Since you have your kids, it really does compound the problem. I sure wish I had some good remedies for you. Have you looked online for help? I'd probably do a google search for suggestions and ideas to help you.

I just sleep whenever I can, but then I don't have anybody here but me to worry about. If you can get the kids to nap, for sure nap along with them.

Just know there are several of us around here that are here all times of the day and night!

michellenj Posted 1 Sep 2008 , 10:38pm
post #3 of 14

My insomnia has gone in cycles throughout my life. A few years ago, I would o for days without sleep, and I felt horrible all the time. Sleeping pills helped somewhat, but it wasn't satisfying like a natural sleep, and it was hard to shake.

I tried melatonin and other herbal stuff that made no difference whatsoever. Eventually, I started sleeping a little bit longer every day. I honestly think it has to do with anxiety and stress in my case.

Sorry I don't have a magic cure! Hope you get some rest soon.

hallfamily727 Posted 1 Sep 2008 , 11:24pm
post #4 of 14

I think mine is anxiety and stress related, too. I just don't know how to make it much better

tchrmom Posted 1 Sep 2008 , 11:39pm
post #5 of 14

Have you asked a health care provider? There are some medicines that may not be as strong as you think. Sonata works for 4 hours at a time rather thant he usual 8-10. It has never left me groggy. I am sure that there are others as well. Hope something helps.

janelwaters Posted 1 Sep 2008 , 11:52pm
post #6 of 14

I have had this problem my whole life, and now that I have a little one, I can't drug up either. My husband works nights so I take care of her during the week and on the weekends she is his to get up with. That is when I take Ambien.

If you are having stress and anxiety (i have that too), talk to your Dr. about some meds for that - you don't have to be on them all the time. Ask about Lexapro - It works for both depression and anxiety, it has made a world of difference for me!

good luck - I hope you get some sleep soon~

indydebi Posted 1 Sep 2008 , 11:58pm
post #7 of 14

I'm also an on-again-off-again insomnia person. The longest I went without sleep was 47 hours ... right after my youngest daughter was born. We're talking newborn stage!! but man, I sure kept the laundry caught up in the middle of the night, when the water rates were at their lowest!!

It's very common for me to sit up until 1 or 2 in the morning .... on CC of course. I've sat up on the computer or watching TV all night ... I was still up when hubby's alarm went off. I just wasn't sleepy.

It comes and goes ...

SugarFrosted Posted 2 Sep 2008 , 12:18am
post #8 of 14

I have had insomnia off and on all my life. The times that my life functioned best were when I was an ER nurse, on the 3-11PM shift...I'd do everything at night after work - grocery shopping, laundry, etc - everything except sleeping. I'd fall asleep about 6AM and sleep till 1PM and be back at work at 2:30PM. My husband works all the time, and when he is home, he is asleep in his recliner. So I was in bed alone most nights anyway, sleeping or not. Ever since my son left for college and I have no one to "answer to" about my hours, I am back to that old schedule and it is working great. I bake at night, decorate cakes at night, watch TV all night. My clients pick their cakes up late in the afternoon, usually the day before their event. It all works and it's all good. I must be an owl. I know I certainly feel owly if I ever have to get up in the morning! icon_wink.gif

tracycakes Posted 2 Sep 2008 , 12:37am
post #9 of 14

All of my life...even as a baby, mom would lay me down, check on me an hour later and I would still be awake, not crying, just awake.

This became a real issue for me 2 years ago when I had to start getting up at 4:00. I have finally figure out something that works for me...Melatonin. This is what your body normally creates for you to sleep so it's not addictive and no matter how late you take it, it does not make you groggy in the morning.

I take melatonin about 30 minutes before I want to go to sleep. Then I go to bed with a book. In about 20 minutes, I'm sleepy, turn out the light, and I'm asleep. It took me about 3 nights for it to work for me and I take 5 mgs.

Also, make sure you don't have any caffeine after about 3:00 in the afternoon and don't eat late.

It's frustrating, I know. I hope you find something that works for you. thumbs_up.gif

sweetness_221 Posted 2 Sep 2008 , 4:01am
post #10 of 14

I have issues with insomnia myself. Of course because of it, it makes me tired during the day. My DH gives his 2 cents and tells me to go to bed sooner. icon_rolleyes.gif Uhhhh...I would LOVE to go to bed sooner. Now exactly how do I get my body to want to do that? Even when I'm tired I'll lay in bed for at least an hour before I'm even close to falling asleep. I just don't understand how my DH can lay in bed for 5 minutes and fall asleep. I've tried the over the counter stuff and it makes me tired, but I still can't fall asleep with it. My mind just doesn't shut off at night. I'm laying in bed thinking about stuff that I have to get done the next day or stressing over something that needs to get done. UGHHH!!! I just want a good night's sleep without having to take something. Although when I was hospitalized a while back they gave me Ambien to sleep and WOW! That stuff is awesome! Knocked me right out. The only bad thing was it didn't last. I would wake up 3 or 4 hours later and be wide awake. Sorry I couldn't be much help with your situation. But if you figure something out let me know.

KlyKat Posted 2 Sep 2008 , 9:09am
post #11 of 14

I'm right here with ya'll. I've never been an 8 hr a night sleeper, but now I'm hardly a 4 hr a night sleeper no matter what time I go to bed.

I've taken Ambien, Sonota, the past (not regularly) and Ambien worked the best, but lost it's zest after awhile. So now it's up at 1:30am most nights, on here and watching back to back Cold Case.

I've gotten pretty use to it and can function daily like this, but it can't be good for me. I average 60+ hrs a week at work so you would think I'd be tired icon_confused.gif K'ly

tracycakes Posted 3 Sep 2008 , 7:18pm
post #12 of 14

I used to have a boss that really suffered from insomnia too. If you can't get your mind to shut off, try this... starting counting backwards from 100. Count very slow and deliberately and focus on the number. If you find your mind wandering, start over again. What this does is get your mind focused. I have Very Rarely reached 0 and I've used it for over 10 years. She had trained herself and was usually asleep by 80.

koolaidstains Posted 3 Sep 2008 , 7:45pm
post #13 of 14
Originally Posted by tracycakes

I used to have a boss that really suffered from insomnia too. If you can't get your mind to shut off, try this... starting counting backwards from 100. Count very slow and deliberately and focus on the number. If you find your mind wandering, start over again. What this does is get your mind focused. I have Very Rarely reached 0 and I've used it for over 10 years. She had trained herself and was usually asleep by 80.

I'm one of those "can't shut my brain off" kind of people too. Another good thing to try is keeping your eyes open. Lay in bed in the dark, but try to keep your eyes open.

There are lots of things you can do to try to help you sleep. I'm sure you can find lists online. Obviously no caffiend from 3pm on, taking a shower an hour before you want to go to bed (something about body temperature), keeping your room colder, no tv or computer(ACK) before bed, and lots of stuff like that. Basically, I'm just not ready to take all those steps LOL. Instead I suffer and complain. I do try to do some of the things, but it's hard to break some habits.

Pookie59 Posted 3 Sep 2008 , 8:28pm
post #14 of 14

Sounds like you're too young to blame it on menopause, so it must be stress. You can try some of the herbal remedies (Valerian or GNC makes a capsule Natrasleep (I think that's the name) that may help. Also try some B complex vitamins and try to fit some exercise into your schedule.

Quote by @%username% on %date%