Help With Boy (9) And Girl (8) Joined Birthday Cake!!

Decorating By jennyped Updated 1 Sep 2008 , 6:43pm by kakeladi

jennyped Posted 1 Sep 2008 , 5:54am
post #1 of 3

Hi there,
I have been asked to do a joined Birthday cake for a 9 year old boy and an 8 year old girl. I thought of doing a stacked cake, but was wondering if anyone had any cool ideas?? I was thinking maybe a blue and pink cake, but was open to any suggestions please!!!

Also if I am going to use fondant, what sort of a cake do I have to use.....is it true that a lighter cake will just collapse? Can I use a mud cake? This is my first time using fondant, so any suggestions will be greatly appreciated as well as any pictures to go with the suggestions.

Thanks so much

2 replies
costumeczar Posted 1 Sep 2008 , 3:15pm
post #2 of 3

I'd do two separate cakes, personally. I have a boy and a girl and they'd be MAD if they had to share a cake, so anything that you can do to divide it up distinctly will probably make them happy.

Maybe you could do an arrangement like a sheet cake with two separate small rounds on top, and one decorated personally for each kid. I'd keep the colors more gender-neutral, because if that 9-yr-old boy has pink anywhere on his birthday cake (even if it's his sister's side) he'll hate it. Green is always good, my 8-yr-old daughter says. (I ran this by her, and you should have seen her expression when I told her the situation, She said "For a minute I thought you were going to suggest that I share a cake with him... I would be SO...MAD!!!)

Do they both have a toy or game that they like? You could decorate it like Pokemon or a Nintendo game if they both like those. Mario is always good. Maybe a Mario-themed cake with the stars and clouds like in the game, then small rounds for each of them to have on their own?

kakeladi Posted 1 Sep 2008 , 6:43pm
post #3 of 3

I agree this might be a time to do two seperate cakes but.......what I have done is put each layer of cake on one board....pushed together. You can use the same colors and basically the same decroations but at least they each have their own cake. Tie the two cakes together w/a small grouping of flowers or decoration.
you do one cake completely, then add the other that you have iced on a cake board the same size as the cake.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%