Soy Allergy - Cake And Icing Recipe Needed Quick! Help!!!!

Baking By LaylasMommy Updated 3 Sep 2008 , 11:11pm by ceshell

LaylasMommy Posted 1 Sep 2008 , 5:19am
post #1 of 4

I need a cake that is soy free. I would like a vanilla cake, but want to make sure it is safe for child.

I also need an icing recipe that is soy free. This is more concerning than the cake. I want something that holds up and decorates great... without being too sweet.

Please help!!! I have one week!

3 replies
ceshell Posted 1 Sep 2008 , 5:40am
post #2 of 4

Not to be dumb, but aren't most cakes and icings soy-free? At least scratch cakes; if you want to use a mix it could be as simple as reading the box carefully. The WASC is so popular here but I don't know if vanilla cake mix contains soy. Obviously you'd want to stay away from any recipe containing mayonnaise. Is soy hidden anywhere else?

Here's a thread with some great scratch recipes (also many posted on the original thread which it links to). For a sturdy, scratch cake I'd recommend the Sylvia Weinstock cake Icing, well, just depends on what you want. Butter/shortening/powdered sugar? Meringue buttercream? Chocolate? None contain soy that I know of... Sugarshack's icing gets rave reviews (and can be made w/Crisco if you can't get Sweetex), and indydebi's icing is popular (but I do not know if Dream Whip contains soy). Meringue buttercreams are delicious and less sweet, and they only contain butter, sugar and egg (plus vanilla or other desired flavoring). A great thread about SMBC or IMBC

Hope this helps!!

LaylasMommy Posted 3 Sep 2008 , 7:47pm
post #3 of 4

Crisco contains soy, as well as margarine and vegetable oil... it seems to be hidden everywhere. I should have said that I have a cake recipe that is soy-free however icing is my dilemna. I want something to decorate with, fluffy, not too sweet, holds up in warm weather.... but cannot contain crisco.

Thanks for your help though!

ceshell Posted 3 Sep 2008 , 11:11pm
post #4 of 4

No problem! See, there you go w/the hidden ingredients, I did not know crisco contains soy but it seems so obvious now that you mention it. (As for cakes even though you said you now have a recipe, you could stick with any butter cake or also what about pure corn oil (rather than "vegetable oil" )?

I understand your icing dilemma now, if you need fluffy AND holds up in the heat. IMBC/SMBC are silky (perhaps not fluffy) but definitely not too sweet, and IMBC holds up well in warm weather as long as you are not talking about HOT weather. I think the figure I'm used to seeing thrown around is about 80 degrees or so. It might be worth a shot.

You might try to find out the ingredients in Pastry Pride (if available in your area) or Rich's Bettercream or Frostin' Pride. I couldn't figure it out and I don't have a carton on hand, but I noticed Cool Whip does not appear to contain soy (I'm only using it as a comparison since it's a nondairy topping even tho it's not suitable as icing). Who knows though, for stability they may include the soybean oil icon_sad.gif.

Quote by @%username% on %date%