What To Use For Fondant That Taste Good?

Decorating By cakes4ck Updated 24 Sep 2008 , 3:13am by jjandhope

cakes4ck Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakes4ck Posted 1 Sep 2008 , 4:59am
post #1 of 35

My dh and I were just looking at all the great cakes on here. We noticed that many of the best are fondant. He said to me "they look great, but you can't eat them because they taste like crap." So, my question is for all of you fondant users, what do you use? I love the look too, but hate the taste. I have done fondant accents which are fun. I even tried making the mmf, but we didn't like it either so it went in the trash. Do you put bc under your fondant and just let the guest peel it off? Or is there anything else that will give you the clean sharp lines that taste any good?
Thanks

34 replies
raquel1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
raquel1 Posted 1 Sep 2008 , 5:19am
post #2 of 35

I love LaWanda's white chocolate fondant, it's like Michele Foster's fondant (which I hear is really good too) but you add 6 oz good white choc. and instead of milk use flavored coffee creamer (white chocolate hazelnut) It is great to work with and I haven't had anybody peel it off!

disp4so Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
disp4so Posted 1 Sep 2008 , 5:37am
post #3 of 35

I use Satin Ice and it tastes very good, like sweet marshmellows. I usually torte my cakes for 4 layers and fill with 2 layers of buttercream and 1 layer of thier choice filling.

I also use a crumb coat under the fondant. If they decide to peel it off, they will still have 2 layers of buttercream in the filling.

I have also tasted Fondix and it is just as good.

best of luck..

Sherri icon_smile.gif

gabbycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gabbycakes Posted 1 Sep 2008 , 5:53am
post #4 of 35

I am new to the whole fondant thing, but for my very first batch of MMF I added Wilton clear butter flavoring and also peppermint extract. It tastes AWESOME!! You could add all kinds of flavorings or the Lorann oils.

I have also used Satinice, and it had a kind of bland, vanilla flavor. Nothing exciting, but not offensive, either.

Limpy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Limpy Posted 1 Sep 2008 , 11:10am
post #5 of 35

The Toba Garrett fondant is amazing. Also to flavour fondant, I use the concentrated Loranne oils used for candy etc. Comes in great flavours such as bubblegum,watermelon,strawberry etc.

debster Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
debster Posted 1 Sep 2008 , 11:50am
post #6 of 35

Other than looks I'm not a fan of eating fondant on cake no matter how good it tastes, for some reason my mind says buttercream. As far as making your own I agree with the Lorann oils, other than that I agree with the Satin Ice, it taste good no chemical after taste. Also Jennifer Dontz has a great dvd on making her own chocolate fondant it's yummy too.

PinkZiab Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PinkZiab Posted 1 Sep 2008 , 2:20pm
post #7 of 35

Satin Ice. I love it. Pleasant vanilla flavor. Everyone I have encountered who "hates fondant" has been pleasantly surprised and has devoured the Satin Ice covered cakes. I recently did a birthday cake for a family member that was bordered in balls of fondant, and as the cake was being cut the kids were stealing the balls off of the cake board to eat--going nuts for them--by the time the whole cake was served, every ball was gone and they were looking for more! lol

newmansmom2004 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
newmansmom2004 Posted 1 Sep 2008 , 2:33pm
post #8 of 35

There are definitely fondants out there that actually taste good. My favorite is Choco-Pan - made from chocolate. They have white, ivory, coffee, chocolate, dark chocolate, carmel flavors. Be sure to use it in cooler weather, tho, because since it is made from chocolate it gets soft.

One of my other favorites is homemade marshmallow fondant - especially the chocolate. Tastes like tootsie rolls.

I've tried Satin Ice and don't particularly care for the flavor or the way it covers. I found that it tore much easier than other brands.

JessDesserts Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JessDesserts Posted 1 Sep 2008 , 2:56pm
post #9 of 35

I am so new to this, I feel like im learning a new language. This must be how someone feels in a country where they dont speak the native language!
How do I find the recipe (or is it pre-packaged like Wilton?) for Lawanda, Michelle Foster and Toba Garrett? Im totally lost. i have a million ideas in my head but really dont have a clue how to go about getting them onto a cupcake.....i.e.what medium to use. I am especially interested in making animals as toppers, so if anyone has any additional advice, id love to hear it!
Like whats the best to make them with? fondant? if so, how do I make it stick together without losing flavor? Even though until today, I was under the impression that flavor and fondant didnt go together either.
Sorry for all the questions, but id love any help!!! ty
Jessika

debster Posted 1 Sep 2008 , 3:12pm
post #10 of 35

On the top of this page go to recipes and put fondant in the search part and Tobas and Michelle's recipes will come up or they should. I know I was a newbie about a year ago , but before long you'll be knowing what we know. I did the same thing you did, asked questions. icon_biggrin.gif I'm still asking even after a year. icon_redface.gif

debster Posted 1 Sep 2008 , 3:19pm
post #11 of 35

Jessdesserts .... I just went to recipes then under search typed in clay and there are recipes for fondant clay for making figurines, Hope this helps you.

newmansmom2004 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
newmansmom2004 Posted 1 Sep 2008 , 3:31pm
post #12 of 35

Take an afternoon to visit your local bookstore as well and peruse ALL the cake books you can fit into an afternoon! You'll be amazed at what you can do with cake and cake ingredients. When you find a book or books you like, check them online to find the best price. If you feel they're worth the price, then purchase. I've made so many bad purchases where books are concerned so now I know to go on solid recommendations of others or go through the book myself in the bookstore before purchasing online.

Here's a link to make your own marshmallow fondant (MMF):

http://whatscookingamerica.net/PegW/Fondant.htm

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 1 Sep 2008 , 3:31pm
post #13 of 35

I love SatinIce. It's yummy!

jojo0676 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jojo0676 Posted 1 Sep 2008 , 3:45pm
post #14 of 35

I really like Satin Ice too. It is very good and nice to work with.

Mary Jo

luvbakin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
luvbakin Posted 1 Sep 2008 , 3:47pm
post #15 of 35

Okay, I got a sample of Satin Ice from cake camp and it had a STRONG smell of playdough, and it had a playdough after taste. Did I get a bad batch???

mommy_of_3_DDs Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mommy_of_3_DDs Posted 1 Sep 2008 , 3:58pm
post #16 of 35

I love homemade marshmallow fondant flavored with clear butter flavor... tastes just like buttercream!

debbydd1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
debbydd1 Posted 1 Sep 2008 , 4:09pm
post #17 of 35

HI, try using candy flavoring or candy oils. Just drop the amount you need onto the foudant and knead it it.

cakes4ck Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakes4ck Posted 1 Sep 2008 , 4:16pm
post #18 of 35

Thanks for all the advice. Looks like it again comes down to personal choice. I made the homemade mmf and didn't like it. I guess the big problem I have with fondant and mmf is the texture. It is chewy...yuck! So are there any of these fondant choices that aren't so chewy? I like the smoothness of buttercream and really want to try the meringue versions of that. But, I also like the idea of the white chocolate or chocolate fondant, but then doesn't the cake taste that way? I guess that is where the flavorings come in.

debster Posted 1 Sep 2008 , 4:24pm
post #19 of 35

That's what I said way back in the beginning , no matter how good the taste I don't want a chewy texture on my cake, I'm a buttercream gal. To each his own though. Hope you find something you like at least to sell a good fondant cake when someone wants one.

Solecito Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Solecito Posted 1 Sep 2008 , 4:29pm
post #20 of 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by raquel1

I love LaWanda's white chocolate fondant, it's like Michele Foster's fondant (which I hear is really good too) but you add 6 oz good white choc. and instead of milk use flavored coffee creamer (white chocolate hazelnut) It is great to work with and I haven't had anybody peel it off!

Where can I get this recipe??

Win Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Win Posted 1 Sep 2008 , 4:31pm
post #21 of 35

You can try using rolled buttercream... it's a little more difficult to work with but rolls out like fondant and tastes like buttercream. It's just one of those things that you have to practice with to get right.

debbydd1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
debbydd1 Posted 1 Sep 2008 , 4:33pm
post #22 of 35

Never had any luck with home made fondants. There are good brands of fondant you can buy if you don't mind the price. The brand I use is Pettinice rolled fondant icing. Can't beat the taste.

FromScratch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FromScratch Posted 1 Sep 2008 , 4:36pm
post #23 of 35

All fondants are going to be chewy on some level. If you can roll it really thin.. it kind of blends in with the buttercream, but it's still a little chewy.

MMF is exceptionally chewy.. I make Michele's recipe. It is lovely to work with. It's not as chewy as MMF. It's easy to make as well. I really don't care for coffee creamers.. they taste fake and chemically to me. So if I were to make Lawanda's I would use milk and real vanilla. Lawanda's recipe is the same recipe as Michele's but for the coffee creamer rather than milk and the chocolate.. I'd just add the chocolate to Michele's recipe.

There's no way around fondant being a little chewy though.. but people can just not eat the fondant if they don't want to. There is a full layer of buttercream under the fondant for them to enjoy with their cake. icon_smile.gif

JessDesserts Posted 1 Sep 2008 , 4:40pm
post #24 of 35

thank you (debster & newmansmom2004) all for your responses. I have tons and tons of pages with recipes and hints, etc that I have printed out within a short period of time and I just need to find the time to sort through them and then actually start making/experimenting with them. I am going to try to limit my questions to my current project, so I dont feel even more overwhelmed then I do now! icon_razz.gif
Thank you again.
Jessika

raquel1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
raquel1 Posted 2 Sep 2008 , 2:52am
post #25 of 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by Solecito

Quote:
Originally Posted by raquel1

Where can I get this recipe??

Hi Solectio and Jessdesserts:
I got it a couple of months ago from another thread, but I can't find it in the recipe section... Here it goes, Enjoy!

LaWanda white chocolate fondant

1/2 cup Heavy cream or liquid coffee creamer (I use White Chocolate/ Macadamia Nut)
3 pkg. unflavored gelatin
1 c white corn syrup
3 Tbsp real butter
3 Tbsp glycerin
2 t clear vanilla
6 oz white chocolate, chopped
3 1/2 - 4 lb. powered Sugar. (I sift mine)

Mix cream with gelatin, allow to firm up 3-5 min. Set on double boiler with simmering water stirring until melted. Add corn syrup, white chocolate, butter, glycerin and vanilla. Cook over simmering water until butter is almost melted. Remove from heat & let cool till luke warm.

In large mixer bowl place about 2 lbs of the PS. Pour liquid through strainer until partially mixed. Attach to mixer using dough hook, mix on low until sugar is well mixed then start adding about 1 cup of PS at a time until the fondant wraps around the dough hook. Place fondant on smooth surface dusted with PS & knead until smooth. Wrap fondant in greased plastic wrap, wrap again & place in plastic bag or air-tight container. Let it rest over night.

This makes a whiter, more flavorful fondant than MMF.

JessDesserts Posted 2 Sep 2008 , 3:17am
post #26 of 35

tyvm for posting the recipe. I went to the recipe section and when I didnt see it, I was embarrassed to ask again about it. I already feel like a PITA.
Thanks again, I cant wait to make it!

sjmoral Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sjmoral Posted 2 Sep 2008 , 5:21am
post #27 of 35

I don't think you got a bad batch. I've only used Satin Ice once and my daughter inmediately said that it smells like playdough. She did eat it and liked it, even by itself. And someone preferred that over my yummy cream cheese icing because it was less sweet icon_confused.gif
Sheila

Solecito Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Solecito Posted 2 Sep 2008 , 5:24am
post #28 of 35

Thank you so much Raquel, I'll try it this week for a wedding cake I'm doing on Friday.

luvbakin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
luvbakin Posted 2 Sep 2008 , 5:19pm
post #29 of 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by sjmoral

I don't think you got a bad batch. I've only used Satin Ice once and my daughter inmediately said that it smells like playdough. She did eat it and liked it, even by itself. And someone preferred that over my yummy cream cheese icing because it was less sweet icon_confused.gif
Sheila

Thank you. I was beginning to think I was crazy. I DOES smell like playdough!

FromScratch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FromScratch Posted 2 Sep 2008 , 5:28pm
post #30 of 35

I don't think you got a bad batch either.. I think it smells like artificial vanilla flavored play-doh too. I think some people are more sensitive to it than others. I didn't like it at all, and I have worked with it for other people and sometimes it works fine and sometimes it dries out so quickly and cracks all over the place. I am used to working with what I make so maybe I just don't do it right, but even if I coudl work with it consistently.. I don't like the taste or smell.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%