Cupcake Cake Topping

Baking By becki247 Updated 1 Sep 2008 , 4:33am by becki247

becki247 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
becki247 Posted 1 Sep 2008 , 2:49am
post #1 of 6

hi all!
i am attempting my first cupcake cake tomorrow..it will actually only be the third cake i've EVER made.
when icing the top to make it "stick" together as a cake, do you put a layer of fondant on top of the icing? or is it usually a semi-thick layer of icing that holds it all together?

thanks in advance!

5 replies
jibbies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jibbies Posted 1 Sep 2008 , 2:59am
post #2 of 6

Welcome to CC becki
I've never made a cupcake cake but here's a bump.

Jibbies

justgale Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
justgale Posted 1 Sep 2008 , 3:04am
post #3 of 6

to get the cupcakes to sick I usually put a little dab of iceing on the bottom of each cupcake to kind of gule it to the board. If I want it to look like a regular cake then I ice it with a semi think layer of iceing. HTH
Sherri

KitchenKat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KitchenKat Posted 1 Sep 2008 , 3:11am
post #4 of 6

To keep the cupcakes stable on the base, I put a dab of frosting on the bottoms of each cupcake. Kinda like gluing it to the board with the frosting. Then just ice the tops with your usual frosting. HTH.

lilmansmum Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lilmansmum Posted 1 Sep 2008 , 3:17am
post #5 of 6

I've done LOTS of cupcake cakes. I also put a dab of icing on the bottom of the cupcakes that are around the outside edges of the cupcake cake. Then I put my icing into a large pastry bag. I cut off the tip of the bag (I make the opening about an inch or so, maybe a little smaller), and then I squeeze out my icing onto the top of the cupcakes. I then gently spread it out with my spatula. It is a very thick layer of buttercream. HTH.

becki247 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
becki247 Posted 1 Sep 2008 , 4:33am
post #6 of 6

thank you soo much ladies! that helps quite a bit!
they are in the oven now...mmmm...smells yummy hh

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%