Wasc Substitutions

Baking By brandi412 Updated 17 Feb 2013 , 7:25am by cmaine

raquel1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
raquel1 Posted 20 Sep 2008 , 5:18pm
post #31 of 87
Quote:
Originally Posted by toodlesjupiter

Raquel- This sounds so good. I have a 6 quart mixer. Do you think it will fit in that or should I half it? Thanks for your help!

This makes the max for a KA Accolade (5qt) so you are more than good! I can't wait to get a 6 qt KA, maybe for my b-day (I'm already dropping hints to dh icon_biggrin.gif )

cookiekisses Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cookiekisses Posted 21 Sep 2008 , 2:47am
post #32 of 87

Does the cookie in the middle have to be from a mix? If it's made from scratch, how thick should the layer be? Sounds yummy, can't wait to try it!

raquel1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
raquel1 Posted 21 Sep 2008 , 3:48pm
post #33 of 87

The cookie in the middle doesn't have to be from a mix. I would just try to make it any crunchy cookie so it won't just sogg up, and the thickness is just regular cookie thickness whatever that is...The mix just works great with no guesswork and I like that icon_smile.gif

alvarezmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
alvarezmom Posted 22 Sep 2008 , 1:33pm
post #34 of 87

Thanks raquel1. And the combo ideas sounds so delish! I cant wait to try the chocolate and peanut butter recipe out!

toodlesjupiter Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
toodlesjupiter Posted 22 Sep 2008 , 3:13pm
post #35 of 87

Thanks Raquel! Can't wait to try this. I already have a cake in the freezer for my next one so it might not be for a bit, but I will try it! Thank you again.

smc_paralegal Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
smc_paralegal Posted 24 Sep 2008 , 6:02pm
post #36 of 87

Raquel1 I cannot wait to try your cookie idea.

blue123 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
blue123 Posted 27 Sep 2008 , 5:23am
post #37 of 87

Did I miss somewhere as to how long I need to bake the cookie for and at what temperature ? Does it need to be slightly browned ? Thanks for the help. I want to try this tomorrow.

MacsMom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MacsMom Posted 27 Sep 2008 , 5:55am
post #38 of 87

Okay. Now I'm intrigued to try the butter cake. Have you had any experience using it for carved 3D cakes?

Ever since I discovered the WAC recipe I haven't looked back. It's been perfect for carving--moist yet dense enough to withstand the knife.

I use flavored yogurts and flavored creamers in mine, adding one pkg of pudding.

I am going to try the butter cake's chocolate version tomorrow, but it's for a carved cake, so I'm hoping it holds up well!

Oh, and thank you tons for the cookie in the middle idea!

mcdonald Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mcdonald Posted 27 Sep 2008 , 8:04pm
post #39 of 87

wow wow wow!! What a great thread!! Love the new idea about the cookie and the recipes sound wonderful... Going to have to try both this week!!

sugarinspired Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarinspired Posted 27 Sep 2008 , 8:29pm
post #40 of 87

wow thanks

iramirez94 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
iramirez94 Posted 27 Sep 2008 , 9:23pm
post #41 of 87

the chocolate receipe sounds delicioud. I can't wait to try it..

Do you know how many extra larges eggs i would use. My mother gave me 4 doz extra large eggs.

Isabel

dmhart Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dmhart Posted 27 Sep 2008 , 9:56pm
post #42 of 87

raquel1 on the chocolate cake recipe is it AP Flour or SR flour? Your idea for the cookie middle sounds wonderful, I am going to try it on my husband's coworkers. They have always been my offical taste testers, they say they love this part of their job icon_wink.gif . Thanks for sharing your recipes and ideas!! thumbs_up.gif

janicecold Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
janicecold Posted 27 Sep 2008 , 10:58pm
post #43 of 87

I have been making the WASC cake and everyone loves it. Raquel1, I was wondering if you could post or email me the Butter cake recipe that you use?? I would so appreciate it. My email address is janicecold@ hotmail.com. Thanks!!

blue123 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
blue123 Posted 27 Sep 2008 , 11:10pm
post #44 of 87
Quote:
Originally Posted by janicecold

I have been making the WASC cake and everyone loves it. Raquel1, I was wondering if you could post or email me the Butter cake recipe that you use?? I would so appreciate it. My email address is janicecold@ hotmail.com. Thanks!!

She did...it's on the first or second page of this thread. icon_smile.gif

krispy1976 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
krispy1976 Posted 27 Sep 2008 , 11:18pm
post #45 of 87

What kind of flour do you all use in your WASC cakes? Cake flour or reg.?

janicecold Posted 27 Sep 2008 , 11:20pm
post #46 of 87

Oh Duh! Thanks for telliing me. It was on the first page. Long day with the girls and husband is gone plus PMSing all into one. Thanks for telling me where it was!

janicecold Posted 27 Sep 2008 , 11:25pm
post #47 of 87

Krispy1976, when I make my WASC cake I just use regular flour and it has turned out great.

dmhart Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dmhart Posted 27 Sep 2008 , 11:28pm
post #48 of 87
Quote:
Originally Posted by krispy1976

What kind of flour do you all use in your WASC cakes? Cake flour or reg.?

I use AP flour in mine.

RookieDeb Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
RookieDeb Posted 27 Sep 2008 , 11:52pm
post #49 of 87

I got the recipe for WASC from MacsMom recently but haven't had a chance to try it yet...now I'm debating about trying the Butter Cake first. Both sound excellent and I am so excited. I have two cakes coming up soon so I'll just have to try one and then the other icon_smile.gif Thanks everone for all your sharing and ideas! This is the best informational website ever!!!

P.S. what is AP flour?

krispy1976 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
krispy1976 Posted 27 Sep 2008 , 11:59pm
post #50 of 87

When I make mine I use Reg. too, I just wondered if there was any special ones that made it even better....One of my best sellers, everyone always requests for me to add extra *ALMOND*

janicecold Posted 28 Sep 2008 , 12:45am
post #51 of 87

RookieBeb, AP is All Purpose Flour. I always add twice the amount of Almond Extract in my WASC cake since then you can actually taste the Almond flavoring. I LOVE Almond flavoring in my icing also. It is so YUMMY!!

calicopurr Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
calicopurr Posted 28 Sep 2008 , 7:03am
post #52 of 87
Quote:
Originally Posted by raquel1

Hi vstar-pilot: Here is the chocolate version, enjoy!
This recipe was created by navymom and Cassandracakes from the Wilton forum
Delicious large quantity chocolate cake mix
2 Duncan Hines Dark chocolate fudge cake mixes
1 small box chocolate fudge pudding
2 cups flour
6 eggs
2 tsp. baking powder
2 sticks butter or margarine (I use butter)
1 1/2 cups sugar
1 cup oil
4 cups water (or cold coffee)

1/2 recipe
1 Duncan Hines dark chocolate fudge cake mix
1/2 (box small) chocolate fudge pudding
1 cup flour
3 eggs
1 stp. baking powder
1 stick butter
3/4 cup sugar
1/2 cup oil
2 cups water (or cold coffee)

Cream butter/margarine, oil and sugar together. Add eggs, mix until blended. Add cake mix, pudding, flour, and baking powder. Blend on low while drizzling in water in a thin stream. Mix until smooth (doesn't take long), and bake according to directions for your pan size.
Optional: fold in Hershey's special dark chocolate chips.
Notes: make sure not to overbake. It makes 15 1/2 cups batter, the max for a KA Accolade(5 qt) or larger. If you don't have a large KA mix w/a good hand held in a xtra large bowl.

HTH, let me know if you have any questions, this keeps my mind off of the mess around me....Can't wait to be able to go back to my house icon_sad.gif

What size pan do we use to make half a batch of the butter cake recipe and the chocolate version?

Also, I saw you mentioned making a half sheet cake.......is that a 13 x9 in. pan or larger? Do I need a larger pan than this? Thank you so much if you can answer because I really want to make one of these by mid-Oct. for a baby shower.

susies1955 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
susies1955 Posted 28 Sep 2008 , 9:26am
post #53 of 87
Quote:
Originally Posted by raquel1

I'm going to pass on the best recipe I have...It came from Cassandrascakes from the Wilton forum. Butter Cake

Raquel1,
Could you give me an appoximate baking time for your Butter Cake? Thanks,
Susie

MacsMom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MacsMom Posted 2 Oct 2008 , 5:32am
post #54 of 87

Just made the chocolate butter cake; AMAZING!!

But not dense enough for carving. I'll try it with added melted chocolate to see if that helps. (I'm ready for more experimenting).

Everyone loves the WASC chocolate version, but I think it is too dense, almost a brownie. Although it was much better when I tried it with cake flour instead of AP flour.

mrh2777 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mrh2777 Posted 7 Oct 2008 , 7:56pm
post #55 of 87

Just tried the peanut butter cookie in the middle of a Chocolate Fudge WASC cake. It was really yummy. This was teh first time I used the chocolate recipe. I think next time I will double the sour cream as one member suggested. It still wasnt as moist as I like. And it crumbled when it was cut, So I may add 5 eggs instead of the 4 that were recommended. This didnt happen when I made a strawberry WASC and folllowed the directions for the white cake version.

Well, We are our worst critics. I wasnt completely satisfied, but that cake was gone faster than any dessert I have seen eaten at the school were I work. So, thanks for all the great tips. icon_smile.gif

megankennedy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
megankennedy Posted 10 Oct 2008 , 6:34pm
post #56 of 87

Wow, Raquel1, that is an amaing idea for the cookie in a cake. Close to genius...this is why I love Cake Central! I would have never thought...
Do you think this would work with a chewy choc. chip cookie recipe? I'd love to use Alton Brown's "The Chewy" in a butter cake with fudge frosting....

jen1977 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jen1977 Posted 19 Oct 2008 , 5:20pm
post #57 of 87

Maybe I'll try this butter recipe next time. I love the taste of butter cake, but sometimes find it too fluffy, especially for cupcakes.

fiddlesticks Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fiddlesticks Posted 19 Oct 2008 , 5:43pm
post #58 of 87

http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&p=6132962#6132962
This thread is also going on about a cookie in a cake !

Win Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Win Posted 19 Oct 2008 , 5:46pm
post #59 of 87

I've used both the butter cake and the chocolate version for a long time. If one takes the time to read the whole Wilton forum (it's reallly long and dates back to about 2006, I think) you learn that it's best to use half margarine half butter (the forum explains the chemistry.) They are HUGE hits every time I make either version. MacsMom, I've carved the chocolate cake many, many times from this recipe --I use the coffee variation version so I wonder if that makes it different? I have found baking times vary based on pans so it's hard to nail down exacts. I never have baked them for less than 50 minutes and most of the time go a full hour, but that is in three inch pans. The butter version has a yummy crusting top that is the best part of the whole cake!

Win Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Win Posted 19 Oct 2008 , 5:47pm
post #60 of 87

I've used both the butter cake and the chocolate version for a long time. If one takes the time to read the whole Wilton forum (it's reallly long and dates back to about 2006, I think) you learn that it's best to use half margarine half butter (the forum explains the chemistry.) They are HUGE hits every time I make either version. MacsMom, I've carved the chocolate cake many, many times from this recipe --I use the coffee variation version so I wonder if that makes it different? I have found baking times vary based on pans so it's hard to nail down exacts. I never have baked them for less than 50 minutes and most of the time go a full hour, but that is in three inch pans. The butter version has a yummy crusting top that is the best part of the whole cake!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%