Difference Between A Kitchen Aid And A Regular Mixer.

Decorating By Hawkette Updated 1 Sep 2008 , 4:38am by Hawkette

Hawkette Posted 31 Aug 2008 , 11:59pm
post #1 of 10

I'm finally leaving the cave world and joining civilized society. My mom is swapping mixers with me, giving me her Kitchen Aid for my 30-year-old Oster. But this new fangled thing is waaaaaay different. Anyone have any tips for a new Kitchen Aid user? She says it mixes different and that there's even something about adding ingredients in a different order, but she doesn't really know. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

9 replies
bevyd Posted 1 Sep 2008 , 12:14am
post #2 of 10

The only thing different and this is according to the booklet that came with my KA is the amount of time that you beat the eggs when you are adding them to your cake batter.The time is much shorter and when I make cookie dough for my XMAS cookies I can make double batches of dough (it has more power than my old Sunbeam mixmaster)I hope this helps.

Cakerer Posted 1 Sep 2008 , 12:18am
post #3 of 10

The only think I do different is add my liquids first...honestly, I didn't read the instructions for my KA mixer. I have a KA and a cooks model...which honestly, I love equally!

psurrette Posted 1 Sep 2008 , 12:39am
post #4 of 10

Make sure you use the paddle and not the whisk for icing. The whisk is only for whipping. When I mix my icing i put the butter and Crisco in first and cream it together, then adding the water mix till incorporated then I add all my sugar at one time mixing while pouring mix for about a minute and then it will be done.

moxey2000 Posted 1 Sep 2008 , 12:46am
post #5 of 10

You can read the manual online, just Google "Kitchen Aid" and then the model you have. The manuals are usually in pdf format so you can save it to your computer and even print it out.

lilahcakes Posted 1 Sep 2008 , 2:15am
post #6 of 10

Mine says the mix time and speed is different than ur average mixer. It says to go slower and less time(but i do think this is refering to directions on packaged mixes. Prof. recipes probably have the correct info on speed and time for a heavy duty mixer.

lilahcakes Posted 1 Sep 2008 , 2:16am
post #7 of 10

Mine says the mix time and speed is different than ur average mixer. It says to go slower and less time(but i do think this is refering to directions on packaged mixes. Prof. recipes probably have the correct info on speed and time for a heavy duty mixer.

Hawkette Posted 1 Sep 2008 , 4:05am
post #8 of 10

I have heard of people who first get a Kitchen Aid after using another brand and end up ruining their batters because they beat things too long. My DS's birthday is in a couple weeks, and I'm really hoping I don't have to put my next post in the cake disasters forum!

So none of you felt things were any different, and you didn't have any trouble switching over? Do you think there really is much difference, or is it all hype?

indydebi Posted 1 Sep 2008 , 4:33am
post #9 of 10

I, too, never read the manual. I've had other stand mixers and I just plug them in and turn them on. I never heard there was a difference in how stuff turned out. icon_confused.gif

Maybe it's because I'm a "until it looks right" cook .... I beat it until it looks right. I never go by recipe instructions on how long to beat something or even how long to bake something ..... it's all a "until it looks right" standard.

Hawkette Posted 1 Sep 2008 , 4:38am
post #10 of 10

Thanks, indydebi, you give me hope. I'm an "until it looks right" baker, too, so maybe I won't notice if I'm beating it 2 minutes instead of 5 now. icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%