Storing Bulk Food Items (Flour, Sugar, Etc.)

Decorating By MichelleM77 Updated 1 Sep 2008 , 7:10pm by 7yyrt

MichelleM77 Posted 31 Aug 2008 , 8:55pm
post #1 of 14

I was just checking out the Ziploc website and noticed that in their FAQ's section, they mention that you can use their Big Bags for storing food items. I'm going to email to see if they mean just boxes of food or if they are safe for direct food contact. This is an option for those of you who want to store big bags of flour and sugar that do not have a self-closing bag. Those bulk food storage containers are expensive! I hope this is a good option. Here is what the website said:

"Can I use Ziploc brand Big Bags to store food?"

"Yes. Ziploc® brand Big Bags can be used to store food, but they should not be used in the microwave or oven."

13 replies
kansaslaura Posted 31 Aug 2008 , 9:10pm
post #2 of 14

I have used them before to store the buns I bake for different functions and caterings. I assumed when they said food, it meant food would be touching the surface. I've used them in the freezer and they work great for that too.

BakingGirl Posted 31 Aug 2008 , 9:18pm
post #3 of 14

Isn't that what Ziplock bags are for? It has never occurred to me that it may not be safe to put food directly in the bags. I use bags all the time for freezing anything from left over cupcakes (without icing), buns and home made waffles. The bags are great for home made stock, pasta sauces and other wet foods. Just pour it in, freeze flat and then you can stack them up, takes up much less space than bulky containers.

Let me know if Ziplock says otherwise please, I might have been inadvertently poisoning my family!

indydebi Posted 31 Aug 2008 , 9:24pm
post #4 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by BakingGirl

It has never occurred to me that it may not be safe to put food directly in the bags.

Amen sista!!! They are a caterer's best friend!! I can transport so much more food in so much smaller containers/space (and when you're loading a van with food and equipment and plates and wedding cake for 200, every inch counts!!!!). Great for transporting leftover foods back to the shop kitchen for proper disposal! (You'd be surprised at how many facilities will not permit you to put food garbage in their dumpster!)

MichelleM77 Posted 31 Aug 2008 , 11:19pm
post #5 of 14

I'm talking about those huge Big Bags that are meant to store clothes, bulky items, sheets, towels, etc. They aren't advertised for use with food. I don't think I could fit one in my freezer or fridge. They are enormous.

Teenequeene Posted 31 Aug 2008 , 11:33pm
post #6 of 14

Thats pretty cool. This is the first time I've heard of them. I would assume they are made from the same stuff the regular ziplock bags are and if they werent safe for direct food content it should say that. You could always call the customer service number and ask them.

MichelleM77 Posted 31 Aug 2008 , 11:51pm
post #7 of 14

I don't know. They aren't totally clear, slight blue color, so I never would have guessed they were safe for food. They aren't marketed for that. They are like the Space Bags.

indydebi Posted 1 Sep 2008 , 3:53am
post #8 of 14

I bought a name-brand gallon size zip-lok style food storage bags that are blueish in color, so that wouldn't be a flag to me.

all4cake Posted 1 Sep 2008 , 4:10am
post #9 of 14

Even if you didn't feel comfortable dumping the bulk contents into them, they seem like they would nice to have to place the original bag into just to protect and seal the product.

I use 5 gallon icing buckets(was able to acquire quite a few while working for a bakery).

SpringFlour Posted 1 Sep 2008 , 4:23am
post #10 of 14

I'm particularly sensitive to smells and flavors, and I've noticed a flavor change when I store food in them at room temp. Sometimes, when my husband makes cookies, he'll put them in Ziploc bags and I won't eat them after a day because they take on a plastic-y flavor. I don't notice this if something is refrigerated, though. I may be a bit odd, but I'd never store flour or sugar in them because of this.

MichelleM77 Posted 1 Sep 2008 , 1:36pm
post #11 of 14

You guys aren't thinking of the right bags I don't think. These are huge, like big enough to stick your comforter in, not a 5 pound bag of flour. Maybe 20 bags of flour. These are not your standard kitchen Ziploc bags.

all4cake Posted 1 Sep 2008 , 4:40pm
post #12 of 14

I was thinking of the big ones...in our Wal~Mart, they're located on the bottom shelf near the other ziploc bags....I thought daaaaaaaaaayuuuuuuuuum! Now, that's a big bag!

1 1/2 5 gallon buckets accomodate a 50 lb bag of sugar

I don't think I would dump that much of any one ingredient into a ziploc bag. I would, however, place it, still in its' original bag, inside of one.

MichelleM77 Posted 1 Sep 2008 , 5:02pm
post #13 of 14

Yep, that's a good idea....to just put that big 25 pound open bag of sugar into a Big Bag.

7yyrt Posted 1 Sep 2008 , 7:10pm
post #14 of 14

I use clean 5 gallon laundry soap buckets to store large opened bags of staple food. They stack nicely and close tightly.
I'd be tripping over the bags all the time... (Not the most graceful person here - LOL)

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%