Ganache On Cake-Refrigerate??

Decorating By gandelmom Updated 1 Sep 2008 , 5:06pm by gandelmom

gandelmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gandelmom Posted 31 Aug 2008 , 8:14pm
post #1 of 10

Wondering if you can refrigerate a cake once it has the shiny ganache on it? Will it still stay shiny?
Thanks!

9 replies
nicegurl222 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nicegurl222 Posted 31 Aug 2008 , 8:34pm
post #2 of 10

i think it would be ok to refrigerate ur ganache covered cake. but u may want t put like a cover over it. ill look into it and get back to you

gandelmom Posted 1 Sep 2008 , 1:33am
post #3 of 10

Can anyone help? I don't want to ruin the cake once it's done-
Thanks-

nicegurl222 Posted 1 Sep 2008 , 1:42am
post #4 of 10

ok so i looked it up and an article i read said to refrigerate it but put a cake dome on top of. i got it from a martha stewart website( a chocolate ganache covered cake like urs)
it was in a recipe.

http://www.marthastewart.com/devils-food-cake-with-chocolate-ganache-by-martha?rsc=also_try
hope it helps.

hammer1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hammer1 Posted 1 Sep 2008 , 1:44am
post #5 of 10

I refrigerate and even freeze and it stays shines and yummy.

gandelmom Posted 1 Sep 2008 , 1:45am
post #6 of 10

Thank you so much!!!
That was so sweet of you to look it up for me!
That'll help a lot-

nicegurl222 Posted 1 Sep 2008 , 1:58am
post #7 of 10

no problem enjoy ur cake

mommyle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mommyle Posted 1 Sep 2008 , 2:08am
post #8 of 10

put a tablespoon of butter in your ganache and apparently it won't dull. It will always stay shiny. Haven't tried it yet, though.

rits Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rits Posted 1 Sep 2008 , 4:30pm
post #9 of 10

Hi there,

I do a lot of work with ganache, so thought I'd help you out. Although you CAN refrigerate ganache (covered, as the Martha St reference said above), it DOES dull the surface. I have tried every possible method - in a box, under a dome, etc., and there is no way to stop the dulling (is that a word?) It may be slight, but if you're picky like me, you'll see it.

What you can do - & I've had good success with this - is "revive" your ganache with a mini-blow torch. You know the kind you use to brown the top of creme brulee...after you take the cake out of the fridge, let it warm to room temp, then carefully (don't get too close or the choc. will melt/bubble) sweep the blow torch back & forth until the entire surface is re-warmed.

I did this on a cake I took to a party recently, and a friend who is a big-time kinda famous chocolatier said "wow, you must have just poured that ganache!" HEE!!! icon_smile.gif

Good luck!

gandelmom Posted 1 Sep 2008 , 5:06pm
post #10 of 10

Thanks for your idea. I used a blow torch at a bakery I used to work at but don't have one at home. Maybe I'll buy one. If not, I definitely will NOT refrigerate the cake with ganache because I do not want it to dull at all.
I'll pour the ganache in the morning and assemble the cake in the afternoon.
It's a wine bottle in a box cake and the fondant is going over the "bottle".

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%