Second Job Vegan Wedding Cake.

Decorating By quilting2011 Updated 4 Sep 2008 , 6:40pm by sadiepix

quilting2011 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
quilting2011 Posted 31 Aug 2008 , 6:33pm
post #1 of 12

I work NY Univeristy as an accountant. Taking the subway home I met a yoga teacher who started signing to me in ASL- She signed she was getting married and looking for someone to maker her a vegan wedding cake with no frosting. I told her I just made a wedding cake for a Hare Krishna wedding. She asked more questions. I told her my friend is a pastry chef and we bake the cake at commercial kitchen. She is welcome to drop by friend's bakery in NY.

Well, I got a job making my second vegan wedding cake! There is a market for vegan wedding cakes that are made from scratch. No artificial dyes, chemicals etc.

Well, are there any cc members out there that bake only organic vegan cakes made from scratch for wedding without using frosting? I decorate the cakes with fresh flowers or simple topper.

There seems to be couples that prefer wedding cakes without any artificial dyes, sugar, chemicals and prefer organic ingredients.

11 replies
sadiepix Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sadiepix Posted 31 Aug 2008 , 7:39pm
post #2 of 12

I have not done a vegan wedding cake, but I have done several for friends' birthdays.

I have found that the citrus flavors were a big hit, with chocolate a close second.

I have done a vegan icing, but I have also just brushed the cake with a simple syrup of organic cane sugar/raw sugar and water (or booze added for some) and then while still tacky sprinkled the whole cake with large sugar crystals (organic also) to make it sparkle without using icing.

I actually really like some of the vegan cakes I have made, especially the margarita. Yum. Saves some calories too, even if a person is not vegan. My hips are happier anyway! icon_biggrin.gif

I know there is a growing demand for things like this, vegan/organic/local etc. so it is good some of you pros can provide that for folks.

Be sure to post a pic if you can once it is done!

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 1 Sep 2008 , 6:07am
post #3 of 12

I've only done one vegan cake and it was a dozen cupcakes for one person attending a conference I was catering. I was suprised to find how simple the recipe was, how well it baked up and really, how good it tasted (of COURSE we sampled one!). One of my first scratch cakes, too.

I can only contribute to this conversation by saying if someone was in a community with a pretty high demand for vegan, based on my one time making them, it's not difficult and you could really carve out a niche for yourself.

sarahpierce Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sarahpierce Posted 1 Sep 2008 , 11:30am
post #4 of 12

Our close friends are vegan. I made them a cake flavored with espresso. They loved it. I also made a espresso buttercream with all shortening and soy milk. I didn't use organic though. But the cake was really good. It was basically extra oil instead of eggs.

snowshoe1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
snowshoe1 Posted 2 Sep 2008 , 2:16pm
post #5 of 12

I have a fantastic vegan book for desserts:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/1570671370/?tag=cakecentral-20

I started with this book as several people in the family are gluten intolerant and one is allergic to eggs. All the recipes I've tried this far turned out terrific! They have a nice vanilla cake recipe.

acookieobsession Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
acookieobsession Posted 2 Sep 2008 , 11:22pm
post #6 of 12

Why did they not want frosting? Just curious. Vegan cupcakes takes over the world is a great book and it has a great frosting recipe. I love the vegan baked things I have made so far. Sorry, but no cakes yet.

I sell organic cupcakes to the local grocer here.

Make sure you price the cake high enough to cover the cost because honestly organic ingredients are through the roof! An organic cupcake is about triple my conventional cupcakes. Or course if they reallly don't want frosting you are lucky b/c organic 10x is crazy expensive.

tattooedlucy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tattooedlucy Posted 3 Sep 2008 , 8:12pm
post #7 of 12

Dang Vegan Troublemakers...
I am actually Vegan, and it is kinda hard sometimes..
the best resource for baking:
"How it All Vegan" You can buy it, and the other books from the same girls on amazon.
You can use Psylliam husk or apple sauce as an egg replacer. Psylliam husk has always treated me well...
It is really just a binder, so it's pretty effective.

quilting2011 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
quilting2011 Posted 4 Sep 2008 , 1:01am
post #8 of 12

I believe this yoga couple does not like frosting because they do not like sweets. They are health nuts no dairy, no meat-or anything with artifical chemicals. I guess thats why they do not like frosting.

for sweets they prefer fruits. they will not eat sugar.

It is a strict diet but this couple is very healthy. I am not a vegan but I have been cutting out Junk food -even sugar and feel so much better.

artlover Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
artlover Posted 4 Sep 2008 , 1:24am
post #9 of 12

can you please share your cake recipe which you made for Hare Krishna wedding .

acookieobsession Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
acookieobsession Posted 4 Sep 2008 , 1:37am
post #10 of 12

Look up recipes for cakes made with agave nectar. That is a "better" natural sweetner. You could use xylitol (sp). but it is SUPER expensive.

The book I mention before...has an agave cupcake that is pretty good.

Julia

gateauxdamour Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gateauxdamour Posted 4 Sep 2008 , 2:04pm
post #11 of 12

Because of my son's allergies, the sweets we make for him are organic and often vegan. I've also made one tier of a wedding cake vegan. That being said, comments from the previous posters match many of my experiences.

I've also found that ground flax seed is a good egg replacement. The instructions on my brand are 1 Tablespoon flax seed and 3 Tablespoons of water = 1 egg. I've used this many times and it works like a charm!

sadiepix Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sadiepix Posted 4 Sep 2008 , 6:40pm
post #12 of 12

Yeah, I agree about the flax seed. That is what I tend to use as the egg replacer, and then applesauce/pumpkin/psyllium etc for the oil/butter step if those things are needed.

Agave nectar is fun to bake with! I was not familiar with it at all until last year as a mass market sweetener, so it has been neat to try out and experiment with.

It is good for homemade ice cream too. I learned that when I did a vegetarian ice cream cake. Yummy stuff.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%