Where To Order Cake Dummies With Decent Shipping Charges?

Decorating By debster Updated 1 Sep 2008 , 1:31am by OhMyGanache

debster Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
debster Posted 31 Aug 2008 , 6:13pm
post #1 of 7

Does anyone know where to get some cake dummies that the shipping is reasonable? I went to order 100.00 of dummies at Dallas and they wanted 57.00 dollars to ship, does that seem high to you all? Thanks

6 replies
indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 31 Aug 2008 , 6:27pm
post #2 of 7

I don't know where you are, but as a previous warehouse manager, I am somewhat versed in shipping charges.

Shipping rates are based on the space it takes up in the truck OR the weight of the item, whichever gets the trucking company more. HEre's why....

A truck line bases it's income on assuming 40,000 lbs of freight to fill a truck. If you ship a truckload of styrofoam, obviously it's not going to weight 40,000 lbs, so the trucking company has lost money. Because you took up space in their truck with lightweight material, they were unable to collect the money for the heavy item that would have taken up the same amount of space.

So if you ship styrofoam or wicker, you will pay more for the space it takes up, rather than the weight of it.

When I worked for a casket company, I always paid the space-rate and not the weight-rate because I was basically shipping boxes of air.

debster Posted 31 Aug 2008 , 7:25pm
post #3 of 7

So with that being said indydebi there is no place to get shipping that doesn't cost half of what the styrofoam does? Thanks for the reply. Do you use them and if so where do you purchase yours, I wonder why the craft stores don't sell these???

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 31 Aug 2008 , 9:12pm
post #4 of 7

I order them from Dallas F, also. I get about $100 worth of stuff and shipping is $25-$30. It's been awhile since I ordered, so I'm sure the cost of gas has effected that number since my last order.

Some cake supply shops carry the dummies, but by the time THEY add S&H, the cost per dummy is pretty up there.

I found that the more I ordered from Dallas F., the better the shipping per piece turned out to be.

It's just the cost of doing business.

littlecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
littlecake Posted 31 Aug 2008 , 10:09pm
post #5 of 7

their stuff is so much cheaper than anywhere else...it justifies the shipping cost.

they are like 1/3 the price of decopac.

debster Posted 31 Aug 2008 , 11:26pm
post #6 of 7

Guess I gotta bite the bullet, thought maybe there was someplace cheaper. icon_cry.gif

OhMyGanache Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
OhMyGanache Posted 1 Sep 2008 , 1:31am
post #7 of 7

They are so cheap... I just double the price of what it says and figure that's about what I'll pay for shipping. I wish they would just raise their prices and advertise "FREE SHIPPING!" - maybe then it wouldn't hurt so much. We'd be paying the same amount, they wouldn't lose money and we'd all think we were getting such a deal! LOL!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%