Is Your Competition On Cake Central

Business By jillmakescakes Updated 2 Sep 2008 , 3:06pm by snarkybaker

jillmakescakes Posted 31 Aug 2008 , 4:41pm
post #1 of 14

Ok, so this may be a weird question, but do any of you know if your "competition" is on cake central and if so, how do you feel about that?

13 replies
weirkd Posted 31 Aug 2008 , 4:51pm
post #2 of 14

Yes, I know there are a few of them on hear. But this site isnt for competing but to share with each other. So it doesnt bother me. I also dont give out every detail of what I do, because I want to have a clientel!!

indydebi Posted 31 Aug 2008 , 6:08pm
post #3 of 14

Yes, I do know that a couple are on here. I'm not sure how active all of them are, though.

CC'er Myesha is my "competition", I guess ...... her shop is just minutes from mine and she is who I send folks to when I'm overbooked for a date. So I dont' really consider her competition ... she's more of a partner! Last May, I was too booked to do one of my Governor's Receptions ... I called Myesha and she did a wonderful job for them!! (Which also made me look good because I referre them to someone who did a great job!). If one of us is out of something, we can call the other and borrow what we need, in an emergency.

I have similar relationships with a couple of caterers, too.

In my area, I dont' really consider anyone "competition" because there is more than enough business to go around. I've found it to be a very sharing community.

I hope every cake decorator in my county is on here .... what great resources for all of us to have, and to have access to so much experience and expertise!!

costumeczar Posted 31 Aug 2008 , 11:45pm
post #4 of 14

I have a bunch of people from my area on here, which is one reason that I don't post any personal info or photos. I like to be incognito and be able to post more specific things if someone asks a question. I've pm'ed a few people and actually given out my name to one (you know who you are!) I think that I'd be more worried about a customer getting on here and seeing some of the stuff that gets posted in the business forum when we get going on clients every now and then!

SugaredUp Posted 1 Sep 2008 , 12:11am
post #5 of 14

It wouldn't bother me about the competition so much, but I know that someone figured out who I was and it wasn't a good situation so I had to change my CC name. Otherwise, I wouldn't care at all. I think we can all learn from each other.

SugarFrosted Posted 1 Sep 2008 , 12:34am
post #6 of 14

I know there is a member here who lives in my area, but on the other side of the river. It's unlikely we are in competition with each other. I am unsure if she even sells her cakes. It'd be fun to have a cake-decorating buddy, tho. Other than that member, there is another (also on the other side of the river) who has been a member here since 2004, but has only posted 4 times, the last in May 2007. She has a cake supply business and I think she only posts when some question about her business comes up.

FromScratch Posted 1 Sep 2008 , 1:46am
post #7 of 14

I guess I do too.. though I don't consider them competition.. I am pals with a couple of them.. icon_biggrin.gif

MichelleM77 Posted 1 Sep 2008 , 4:06pm
post #8 of 14

There are a few girls on here that are near me, but I don't consider them competition either. We chat off of CC and refer to each other. We all do different things too (different styles of decorating).

korkyo Posted 2 Sep 2008 , 12:20pm
post #9 of 14

I know a few that are also in business. Some are in my same town, (hi Sam) and others are in KC in general. I like to think that there is enough business that will keep us all busy.

Competition just keeps you on your toes. icon_lol.gif Life goes along much smoother if we all help each other out. It's nice to kow there is someone that can cover you in a fix.

Mac Posted 2 Sep 2008 , 12:39pm
post #10 of 14

Yes, there are a few on here. And I agree with Indydebi--we don't view each other as competition. We refer clients to each other. Customers appreciate the fact that you will refer if you can't take an order. But it has to be someone that you trust and KNOW will do a good job.

momtobtb Posted 2 Sep 2008 , 12:40pm
post #11 of 14

I think there are a few from my area here. I don't consider them competition at all. In fact, I even referred several people to this person's way when I just couldn't do the orders.

kmoores Posted 2 Sep 2008 , 12:44pm
post #12 of 14

Honestly, I have no idea if she is on here. I haven't seen any of her work. I do suggest her if I can't do it tho. She does good work.

tracycakes Posted 2 Sep 2008 , 2:50pm
post #13 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by SugarFrosted

I know there is a member here who lives in my area, but on the other side of the river. It's unlikely we are in competition with each other. I am unsure if she even sells her cakes. It'd be fun to have a cake-decorating buddy, tho. Other than that member, there is another (also on the other side of the river) who has been a member here since 2004, but has only posted 4 times, the last in May 2007. She has a cake supply business and I think she only posts when some question about her business comes up.

Sugar, are you talking about me? icon_biggrin.gif Yep, I'm on the other side of the river but I don't really sell cakes. Okay, recently, I've sold 2 to friends and I'm making a shower cake for my mom. Mom's don't count. icon_lol.gif

There aren't too many bakeries here where you can get good cakes - look good and taste good. I agree that it would be fun to have a cake buddy. I met a lady at the grocery store while waiting in line (forever). They had moved here recently and she was looking for a good place to get a cake and I mentioned a few to her. It would be good to be able to know a good place to refer people to. Sugar, maybe we need to talk. thumbs_up.gif

snarkybaker Posted 2 Sep 2008 , 3:06pm
post #14 of 14

There are a lot of home bakers within 30 miles of me on CC. Most of them aren't really competition. People who are inquiring with us aren't usually shopping at home bakers as well. Usually, they will look at the other two high end bakeries in the area. Honestly I have enough wedding business with the two hotels and two private clubs on my street to keep me busy. I very seldom travel any further than Durham ( 8 miles) with a cake.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%