Sticky Fondant

Decorating By becki247 Updated 31 Aug 2008 , 4:52pm by alanahodgson

becki247 Posted 31 Aug 2008 , 1:55pm
post #1 of 6

i made my first cake ever last week. the first day i was working with the fondant it was all good, but then when i went back the second day, it was really sticky and soft. it sticks to my counter when i roll it out. i had to colour it when i was using it, as i only had it in white and needed other colours, could that have been the problem? because i was playing with it too much to blend the colour in?
i need to do another cake tomorrow, and i dont want to run into the same problem.
any ideas why its so soft? or why its sticking to my darn counter? or what to do about it?
thanks guys!

5 replies
Kiddiekakes Posted 31 Aug 2008 , 2:17pm
post #2 of 6

Add more icing sugar and keep kneading!!

weirkd Posted 31 Aug 2008 , 2:21pm
post #3 of 6

Also grease your surface with a littl shortning.

debster Posted 31 Aug 2008 , 2:24pm
post #4 of 6

Yep what kiddiecakes said just keep adding in the sugar also put some underneath the fondant as your working lift up a side and sprinkle some more if it sticks then left the other side and reapply the sugar. Just a little at a time if you get too much the fondant will look like elephant skin, but if it's sticking that means it's too wet. Moisture and fondant aren't friends I know from two days ago doing a cake in fondant in the humidity. thumbsdown.gif

becki247 Posted 31 Aug 2008 , 2:40pm
post #5 of 6

thanks so much guys!! i'll try the icing sugar tonight!!

alanahodgson Posted 31 Aug 2008 , 4:52pm
post #6 of 6

If the icing sugar doesn't work out, try cornstarch.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%