Rolled Buttercream...

Decorating By tiamariad Updated 1 Sep 2008 , 5:44pm by mommy_of_3_DDs

tiamariad Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiamariad Posted 31 Aug 2008 , 11:41am
post #1 of 12

Can anyone tell me where to find a great recipe for Rolled Buttercream as everyone I've spoken to says this tastes alot better than sugarpaste. Just a few questions about it aswell

1: Can you make a white rolled buttercream?

2: What is like to work with- does it tear easy, can you use it like sugarpaste for decoration?

3: Does it set hard?

4: Once the cake has been iced how should it be stored to be at it's best for the special day?

Thanks

11 replies
leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 31 Aug 2008 , 11:54am
post #2 of 12

IMO, rolled buttercream is the nastiest product ever conceived. It tears readily and feels and tastes like greasy fondant. Good luck. I used it once - once and I will never touch that stuff again.

jennabell441 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jennabell441 Posted 31 Aug 2008 , 12:01pm
post #3 of 12

I agree with leahs. It is very hard to work with and I found that it is greasy and chewy when it sets. I just like to try different things...this is one that I won't try again.

HTH
Jen

ssunshine564 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ssunshine564 Posted 31 Aug 2008 , 12:01pm
post #4 of 12

I agree with leahs, it does taste awful and it is hard to work with.

tiamariad Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiamariad Posted 31 Aug 2008 , 12:10pm
post #5 of 12

Well that wasn't the response I was expecting hehe, I guess the other options are MMF or Sugarpaste, I've made MMF before but can you add flavouring to it and if so what flavours would you recommend. Also can I colour the fondant while it's at the melted marshmallow stage? sorry just one more question can you mix this in a mixer using the dough hook as last time i did it by hand and it was hard work!!!! Thanks

chicapastel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chicapastel Posted 31 Aug 2008 , 12:28pm
post #6 of 12

Well, i work with rolled buttercream only for my cookies and i love them. i prefer it rather than royal icing for its flavour and the way you are able to easily work with it. i've never used the rolled buttercream with cakes because the weather is too hot where i live so it isn't suitable. Nevertheless, i do recommend the rolled buttercream for whoever who can use it; it´s a little softer and more prone to tearing than traditional fondant, making it more difficult to work with but it tastes a whole lot better!

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 31 Aug 2008 , 1:35pm
post #7 of 12

Fondant works great for cookies too! (SatinIce)

BlakesCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlakesCakes Posted 31 Aug 2008 , 9:15pm
post #8 of 12

I don't use it often, but it does come in handy for odd shapes. I doubt that I'd opt to cover an entire cake with it--it's tooth-achingly sweet.

I make my regular shortening + PS buttercream and then add in some light corn syrup (about 1/2 cup to 7 cups of BC) and enough PS to get a pie crust dough consistency. I roll it out between parchment, put it in the fridge or freezer to firm up a bit, take it out & let it sit on the counter for a minute or so, drape it over the item to be covered, and smooth it with my hands.

It's self-healing, so any tears are very easily repaired with the warmth of your hand. I buff it with my hands dipped in CS, PS, or a combo of the two. It'll crust over that way and doesn't look "greasy".

HTH
Rae

Staceface81 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Staceface81 Posted 31 Aug 2008 , 9:47pm
post #9 of 12

About MMF, yes I color mine when it's in the melted stage. It makes things much easier. You can also add your flavoring at that time. I haven't used flavoring as of yet, because I like the taste of marshmallows. icon_smile.gif
I haven't tried the dough hook either. I like to knead it myself so I know the right consistency.

kellertur Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kellertur Posted 1 Sep 2008 , 2:54am
post #10 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Staceface81

About MMF, yes I color mine when it's in the melted stage.

If you are adding color this way, do you have to then cook separate batches if using multiple colors on one cake? I've only added color "after" it's cooled, because of using more than one color... thanks.

Staceface81 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Staceface81 Posted 1 Sep 2008 , 4:57pm
post #11 of 12

If I need more than one color, I"ll pour the melted marshmallows into separate bowls and then add the colors. I've done that several times. It's just easier to melt them all together and then separate.

mommy_of_3_DDs Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mommy_of_3_DDs Posted 1 Sep 2008 , 5:44pm
post #12 of 12

For the MMF add some clear butter flavor! It tastes like buttercream icing... but really the flavors are endless!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%