I Have Officially Retired From Buttercream

Business By Carolynlovescake Updated 3 Sep 2008 , 8:50pm by nanahaley

Carolynlovescake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Carolynlovescake Posted 31 Aug 2008 , 2:24am
post #1 of 29

I don't know if it was the firmness of the outside of the cake, the chocolate frosting or the lack of trans fat or all of it combined but This frosting won't stick at all.

I'm done.

It's happened with all 5 of the last buttercream cakes I've done, 5 different flavors.

I just did my last wedding cake before closing up shop and he wanted all buttercream and I refused because I was afraid this exact thing would happen.

She wasn't happy with fondant but after explaining it to her and her fiance and both sets of parents and telling her it was now additional time and effort to get it to stick let alone look presentable I was concerned with doing 4 tiers of buttercream on a wedding cake.

She asked me if I was making up the whole transfat thing months ago when she was signing her contract and I told her to research it. I'm sure it was threads on here that made her realize I wasn't making it up.

She opted for a 6 inch fondant cake for pictures and cupcakes for guests with buttercream swirls which I am willing to do.

So I officially retire from buttercream cakes... buttercream on cupcakes no problem but cakes forget it. icon_lol.gif

28 replies
Parable Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Parable Posted 31 Aug 2008 , 2:37am
post #2 of 29

Have you tried using store brand shortening with transfat. It works great for me.

FromScratch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FromScratch Posted 31 Aug 2008 , 2:40am
post #3 of 29

Have you thought of switching to a meringue based buttercream? I use SMBC and have never had an issue with it not sticking to a cake.. or maybe try high ratio shortening??

That stinks about your troubles.

BlakesCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlakesCakes Posted 31 Aug 2008 , 3:16am
post #4 of 29

I'm sorry to hear of your frustrations.

I use 3/4 hi ratio 1/4 butter in warm weather and usually half/half in cooler weather. I haven't had any problems with my icing, knock wood. I'm sure it's the hi ratio that makes the difference. The whole purpose of the "hi ratio" is so that the liquids in the icing (and that includes fats) will stabilize in the suspension/emulsion.

If you can get some hi ratio, I'd suggest that you give it a try.

HTH
Rae

Mac Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mac Posted 31 Aug 2008 , 3:49am
post #5 of 29

I have finally figured out a recipe/technique that seems to have fixed my problem with oil pooling at the base of cakes, shiny cakes and frosting pulling away from cake.

I use Indydebi recipe for buttercream
Kroger brand of shortening (even had problems with WM brand)
whole milk ONLY
sift powdered sugar

Don't know if any of these "Cured" the problem but appears to (for now).

holoien003 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
holoien003 Posted 31 Aug 2008 , 5:25am
post #6 of 29

I was actually wondering about milk in buttercreams as I was grocery shopping tonight. I've only ever used skim milk with my crusting buttercreams because that's all I drink (allergic to milk fat), I keep forgetting that there's more than one type of milk. Maybe using 2% or whole milk will help? What about cream or even whipping cream?

It sucks to hear the issues your having with buttercream! Hopefully you'll find something that will work. Good Luck!

Mac Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mac Posted 31 Aug 2008 , 12:29pm
post #7 of 29

If I have heavy cream, I use it and it makes it more creamier and I don't think I have to use as much powdered sugar to get a thickened frosting.

Yeah, we drink 1% milk and that was pretty much all I bought...I knew the cream did pretty good so I thought "hey, I bet whole milk would do OK."

littlecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
littlecake Posted 31 Aug 2008 , 2:40pm
post #8 of 29

i use the store brand too with no problems, you just have to read the back and make sure theres still trans fat in it.

momtobtb Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
momtobtb Posted 31 Aug 2008 , 3:21pm
post #9 of 29

I use WM store brand with no problem with SugarShack's recipe.

dahir Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dahir Posted 31 Aug 2008 , 3:36pm
post #10 of 29

I have not seen a walmart brand of shortning. Are you talking about the white and green box they have that is labled LARD or is there something else I haven't seen.

Thanks,
Tracy

Ladybug6509 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ladybug6509 Posted 31 Aug 2008 , 3:39pm
post #11 of 29

I've never had a problem with the 0 trans fat crisco. I normally use 3/4 crisco to 1/4 butter along with vanilla flavor and powdered sugar. I use whole milk for the liquid and it always turns out perfectly. Nice and easy to ice with, crusts beautifully and smooths wonderfully with a foam roller. And every one loves how it tastes.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 31 Aug 2008 , 5:59pm
post #12 of 29

I've never had a zero-trans-fat problem. I've used all kinds of milk ... skim, 1%, 2%, whole .... with no noticeable difference.

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 31 Aug 2008 , 6:08pm
post #13 of 29

A number of the bakeries in my area were complaining loudly about icing sliding off cakes with the 0 transfat shortenings when our city council was considering outlawing it. I specifically buy shortenings with trans fats because they simply perform better.

I suspect that adding butter, whole milk or even cream is adding enough fat into the "mix" that the bc works.

tonedna Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tonedna Posted 31 Aug 2008 , 6:28pm
post #14 of 29

How stiff is your icing? Is your cake cold? Do you do a crumbcoat?

momtobtb Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
momtobtb Posted 31 Aug 2008 , 9:09pm
post #15 of 29

Tracy,

At WM I get the blue can that says just vegetable shortening on the front. They usually keep it right next to the Crisco.

littlecake Posted 31 Aug 2008 , 10:02pm
post #16 of 29

be careful of the wal mart brand...it was okay here for awhile, then one day i bought some...opened it...it looked different, real runny, i read the back, it was trans fat free too...

jules1719 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jules1719 Posted 31 Aug 2008 , 10:12pm
post #17 of 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkalman

Have you thought of switching to a meringue based buttercream? I use SMBC and have never had an issue with it not sticking to a cake.. or maybe try high ratio shortening??

That stinks about your troubles.

I delivered a cake not too long ago and the other wedding taking place at the same venue had a problem with their cake. The 10x based buttercream separated from the cake. I think you just need to switch to a meringue based frosting. They taste better anyway.

SugaredUp Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SugaredUp Posted 1 Sep 2008 , 12:14am
post #18 of 29

Butter cream tends to get a bad rap. It's not too bad if you find a good recipe. I love the high ratio shortening, would never go back!

littlecake Posted 1 Sep 2008 , 1:27am
post #19 of 29

mine is half butter....it tastes good, i don't know if i decorate as well with a meringue based frosting.

i do a lot of flowers and drawings.

jibbies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jibbies Posted 1 Sep 2008 , 1:40am
post #20 of 29

I'm sorry that so many of you are having problems with your buttercream.
I haven't had any of the aforementioned problems. maybe it's the recipe I use. You are welcome to try it.
Jibbies White Velvet Buttercream
1 stick salted butter
1 and 1/2 cups Crisco
mix on low, add 4 tablespoons heavy whipping cream and 2 teaspoons clear vanilla
Add 2 pounds (I weigh mine) powdered sugar, mix on low until all is incorporated you may or may nor need to add more hwc. Scrape bowl and mix on 5 (KA) for 2 minutes.

Jibbies

Trixyinaz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Trixyinaz Posted 1 Sep 2008 , 12:53pm
post #21 of 29

I have not had any issues either. I've used Crisco, Spartan and Kroger brands - I believe all 0 Trans Fat. I just used Sweetex for my latest cake (and honestly, I couldn't tell a difference). I've used off brand PS too and only use skim milk....never once has my BC slid off my cakes or have pools of grease/oil collected at the bottom of my cakes. I use the Buttercream Dream Recipe with real butter and love it! Sorry you are having so much difficulty....don't give up.

moxey2000 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
moxey2000 Posted 1 Sep 2008 , 1:14pm
post #22 of 29

The only problem I've had with zero trans-fat Crisco is that it just doesn't mix smoothly and my buttercream had a weird consistency thumbsdown.gif . I recently switched to Indydebi's recipe and I'm happy to report ZERO issues thumbs_up.gif ! I love the consistency and the flavor. Also it smooths better than any icing I've had made. I'm a believer and a convert. Thanks Indydebi thumbs_up.gificon_biggrin.gificon_lol.gif !!

buttercup212215 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
buttercup212215 Posted 1 Sep 2008 , 1:14pm
post #23 of 29

I too have been having trouble with my butter cream and could not figure out why. So i bought a high ratio shortening and it seems to be working for me. fondant looks beautiful on cakes but it seems noone wants to pay for the time it takes to create the cake and they do not like the taste of it.

NikNicole Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
NikNicole Posted 3 Sep 2008 , 7:58pm
post #24 of 29

I add 2 Tablespoons of cornstarch to help with the humidity! Haven't had a problem yet, and I live in south Alabama

GenGen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GenGen Posted 3 Sep 2008 , 8:14pm
post #25 of 29

i guess i'm going to have to start adding cornstarch or meringue powder or *sigh* invest in shipping on hiratio.. i have too much problems with the new crisco's , thosewho don't are lucky lol.. i never thought i would have this problem but it found me.. tried making some roses the other day andit just "melted" right on the nail.. or rather collapsed.. *rolls eyes*

up where i live i don't have the shopping options to just go to another store and "find" shortening With transfat icon_sad.gif

cuteums Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cuteums Posted 3 Sep 2008 , 8:25pm
post #26 of 29

I love SugarShack's recipe. I use the store brand with trans fat in it. I have yet to try the hi ratio shortening. I use part unsalted margarine in mine too. Whatever store brand you get make sure it has the trans fat in it. When I first started decorating i was about to give up because my roses would melt and my cakes looked terrible. That was when i found out about the trans fat problem. No more problems since.

I'm not a fan of Indydebi's frosting. I made it and it was way too sweet and very crunchy. No one liked it when I made it. It crusted too well.

Wendoger Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Wendoger Posted 3 Sep 2008 , 8:37pm
post #27 of 29

I use sweetex and I love it....in my opinion, it makes a big difference in how my buttercreams turn out.

GenGen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GenGen Posted 3 Sep 2008 , 8:43pm
post #28 of 29

i wish i could get sweetex up here... i have yet to find any transfat shortenings up here.. strange their slow to get everything else.. but were sure darn quick to switch that one over...

nanahaley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nanahaley Posted 3 Sep 2008 , 8:50pm
post #29 of 29

I also had problems with Crisco after using it for many years with rave reviews. I finally gave up on Crisco after many disappointing results and ordered hi ratio. I absolutely love it and I think it is creamier and better tasting than before.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%