Taking Good Cake Photos

Decorating By jjandhope Updated 8 Sep 2008 , 1:15am by TooMuchCake

jjandhope Posted 31 Aug 2008 , 1:31am
post #1 of 7

Everyone's pictures looks so pretty. Looks like they came right off of a menu or a magazine! When I take pics of food, it never looks right even if the food is pretty. Are there tricks with angle, lighting, etc? I have only a basic digital camera with few options. Thanks

6 replies
Cakepro Posted 31 Aug 2008 , 1:43am
post #2 of 7

Here's what a wise web-guy told me:

"Make your food images appear naturally-lit from the sun. Taking images of food is very difficult, as I'm sure you know. Make sure to light food very well while bathing it in red and yellow light (morning) or white and yellow light (noon/afternoon), as if the sun is lighting it from outside coming through a window onto your table. This often means leaving the flash off your camera while you take the picture (too harsh and unnatural) and using tungsten lighting instead (the old-style light-bulbs give a beautiful yellow tint to everything). Even placing a table lamp with an old lightbulb in it near your foods can make your cake images look naturally-lit. Avoid fluorescent lighting while taking pictures of food -- it's way too harsh and makes food look artificial (it adds a blue/green tint to everything). If you use a graphics program (Photoshop is the best) you can modify your images to make it appear more naturally-lit but you have to have at least half-way decent images."

jjandhope Posted 31 Aug 2008 , 2:18am
post #3 of 7

thanks! This info will help a lot. It is the same way humans take the best pictures as well. Guess I should have known. Is there anything you can tell me about background or angle? I appreciate this so much. I want to start taking pictures of things I make...

TooMuchCake Posted 31 Aug 2008 , 2:56am
post #4 of 7

Maybe this tutorial will help you:

jjandhope Posted 7 Sep 2008 , 6:42am
post #5 of 7

Just wanted to tell you all how happy I am with the way my pics are turning out now. The light is absolutely the key! I was already using a backdrop, etc, but the light is the difference between something looking yummy or lookng fake (or old).

Now I just need to work on making my subjects (the cakes, cookies, etc) look good enough to warrant a picture!

Thank you so much. And BTW-Everyone should watch the above tutorial!

xstitcher Posted 8 Sep 2008 , 12:37am
post #6 of 7
Originally Posted by TooMuchCake

Maybe this tutorial will help you:

Thanks for the link Deanna!

TooMuchCake Posted 8 Sep 2008 , 1:15am
post #7 of 7

You're welcome!

Quote by @%username% on %date%