My He!! Wedding Week (Long)

Decorating By ljhow623 Updated 31 Aug 2008 , 1:42pm by leah_s

ljhow623 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ljhow623 Posted 30 Aug 2008 , 11:24pm
post #1 of 4

oh my! I've had a long week and hopefully everything went well. I had a wedding cake due today and what went wrong did!. It was a 3 tier square cake off set with butterflies and sunflowers as decorations. I started baking last sunday. 12" chocolate cake for the bottom tier. Perfect. Baked fine cooled, wrapped and put in freezer. Monday - cool day decided to bake the middle tier - strawberry cake. Baked 2 cakes and they both fell! Crap. Cooled, wrapped and put in freezer for cake balls. Tuesday - try again. Wouldn't you know both cakes fell again! Dobble crap! Now I'm getting aggrivated. Cooled, wrapped and into the freezer for more cake balls. Wednesday - one more time - HEY! they baked perfet, wrapped, cooled and into the freezer for Friday. Thursday Bake the top tier - Amaretto. Baked perfect.

Friday comes I'm all set to put everything together. No problem. Yeah right!!!!! Everything that could go wrong did. Torting and filling and crumb coating went fine. I applied the final layer of frosting. Okay could have been better but I was happy with the results. Everything was smooth and square. No problem at this point. I decide to stack the first two layers and put them in the freezer over night. Big mistake. I but the second layer down and it didn't line up right. Now I had to lift it and repossition it - messed up all the frosting!!!!!!. So try to smooth out the frosting and fix all the lumps and bumps - HELP!!!! Well I was tired and was getting very frustrated at this point so shove it all in the freezer for today.

Pull it out of the freezer this morning - let it set for three hours to defrost. Now condensation is all over it. I'm getting more aggrivated as the minutes go by. The fondants stripes on the bottom of each layer is bleeding. Crap no time left. Had to apply the butterflies and pack up what needs to be for the delivery.

Get to the venue - put the sunflowers on and I notice some of the butterflies are starting to calapse - not to mentions the condensation from the fondant is seeping everywhere. Well The groom signed off on the cake. I told them that there was some condensation and that will disapate but overall I was very disappointed in the results.

The top side - I rocked on the sunflowers - gumpaste all hand made, petal by petal!

Here's the results - comments and advice appreciated please!!!!!

http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1260338

3 replies
ac2steachk Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ac2steachk Posted 31 Aug 2008 , 7:02am
post #2 of 4

I'm sorry you had a tough week. I'm not an expert, but I don't think the cake needed to be in the freezer. With the condensation issues people have with fondant, I think the fridge is plenty--if the cake needs to be chilled.

The sunflowers look great! I can see some shine on a few of the butterflies...continued condensation, maybe? They look good also.

Chin up...it all turned out in the end. Now get some rest and on to the next cake! icon_smile.gif

jess85 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jess85 Posted 31 Aug 2008 , 12:35pm
post #3 of 4

sorry you had troubles but fondant should go in neither the fridge nor freezer. I'm sure they could have lasted out of the fridge overnight?

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 31 Aug 2008 , 1:42pm
post #4 of 4

Really, there is absolutely no reason to put a cake in and out of the freezer that many times. changing the temp on fondant - which results in condensatino is a bad thing with fondant. And really we need to talk about SPS - you can slide your tier into place and never touch the icing.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%