Sheet Cake Disaster- Need Help!

Decorating By Ecope Updated 31 Aug 2008 , 6:55am by Cake_Princess

Ecope Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ecope Posted 30 Aug 2008 , 9:12pm
post #1 of 15

So I posted on the forum a few days ago asking for help on my first sheet cake. Everyone had such awesome ideas, which I'm incredibly grateful for.
I know some people choose to not torte their sheet cakes and just make a single layer without filling. However, the hubby asked for a cake with filling, and rather than torting the cake, I made 2 sheet cakes to layer on top of each other. It was fairy easy for me to move the first cake on to the board, however, when it came to moving the top to cover the filling) that's when problems happened. The cake totally slid off, and now has cracks! I got it on top by kinda pushing it... Can anyone tell me how I can maybe prevent this from happening again, or perhaps how you move a cake? This is the first time i've ever done a cake bigger than the 8 in. in class. I'm soo frustrated!!
Thanks everyone!

14 replies
hamie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hamie Posted 30 Aug 2008 , 9:20pm
post #2 of 15

I put the cake on a cookie sheet, I can then just slide it right off onto the bottom layer.

Hamie

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 30 Aug 2008 , 9:27pm
post #3 of 15

So yeah like on a cookie sheet or a cardboard and slide one edge off onto the bottom layer and line it up and quickly pull out the cookie sheet.

Don't dawdle doing it--line it up well and do it with confidence. No worries.

angelcakes5 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
angelcakes5 Posted 30 Aug 2008 , 9:28pm
post #4 of 15

I agree with Hamie thats how I do it. Instead of a cookie sheet you can also use a large cake board.

PattyT Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PattyT Posted 30 Aug 2008 , 9:36pm
post #5 of 15

I agree with all the rest. I use the flat cookie sheets withOUT all four sides - just the little angle on one or two sides.

Like you, I bake the cakes in thinner sheets (10 x 15 jelly roll pan) then stack up and fill the layers as needed. Most times I cut them into other shapes but have done a couple full size.

k8memphis is right - confidence is key!

gabbenmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gabbenmom Posted 30 Aug 2008 , 9:43pm
post #6 of 15

When I use a cake board, I cover it with waxed paper or foil first. It helps slide the cake on and off a little bit better. Otherwise, ditto on what everyone else said!!!
You will get it! If it isn't perfect, you can always trim the edges.

hammer1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hammer1 Posted 30 Aug 2008 , 9:43pm
post #7 of 15

first were your cakes level or domed?
You can also freeze the layers slightly.
the cardboard is the way to go and don't rush, sometimes having a helper also helps.
good luck.

hammer1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hammer1 Posted 30 Aug 2008 , 9:44pm
post #8 of 15

the cardboard is the way to go and don't rush, sometimes having a helper also helps.
good luck.

martmarg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
martmarg Posted 30 Aug 2008 , 9:48pm
post #9 of 15

ditto what everyone else said. , but I use one of those bendable, flexible plastic cutting boards. They usually come 2 in a pack . Walmart has them, but I bought mine at the Dollar tree store. They slide off really easy.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 30 Aug 2008 , 10:00pm
post #10 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by hammer1

good luck.

Ditto on what hammer1 said. Level cakes, slightly frozen, using cardboard.

I can't tell you the YEARS I spent actually FLIPPING big sheets and 16" rounds onto the bottom layer before a dear friend said, "look, debi ... stop doing it the hard way ....!" icon_redface.gif (However ... I DID get pretty good at flippin' those big things! icon_biggrin.gif )

Bossy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bossy Posted 30 Aug 2008 , 10:02pm
post #11 of 15

All great ideas! I also use the flexible palstic cutting boards. They work great for drying and moving gumpaste/fondant also.

plbennett_8 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
plbennett_8 Posted 31 Aug 2008 , 5:40am
post #12 of 15

Spray the cookie sheet with a little Pam to make it slide easier... Good idea on chilling it too. icon_smile.gif

Ecope Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ecope Posted 31 Aug 2008 , 6:16am
post #13 of 15

Thanks everyone for all your advice! I know that I wasn't very confident moving the top layer. My first sheet cake is definitely proving a challenge. I've had such a hard time with this that I've been frustrated with it all day!!
I definitely hope it gets better after this.

mandm78 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mandm78 Posted 31 Aug 2008 , 6:41am
post #14 of 15

I discovered using round pizza cooking pans by accident. I was making 14" pizzas at my church kitchen a while back and they use the actual pizza sheet pans with alot of holes all around to cook them. It provides air to circulate under the dough and brown the crust and there is no lip. I happened to also be making a small wedding cake in the other oven and thought why not use these to not only cool the cakes on since they have holes for circulation, but use it to slide in between the cakes when I torte them. Worked like a charm!!! They're sturdy, large and all I need to do is give a quick spray. And they're pretty inexpensive. Use them on all sizes/shapes of cakes and they slide right off. I bought mine at a restaurant supply shop. I think i've seen them at Sam's too.

Cake_Princess Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cake_Princess Posted 31 Aug 2008 , 6:55am
post #15 of 15

Also sometimes if our cake is a bit sticky it helps to sprinkle the cake board with icing sugar so it slides off easier.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%