2009 Wilton Yearbook

Decorating By Homemade-Goodies Updated 31 Aug 2008 , 4:20am by osorio

Homemade-Goodies Posted 30 Aug 2008 , 5:00pm
post #1 of 19

The new yearbook has arrived in Holland, got my copy this week! It didn't seem to have many BIG ideas, but I liked some of the small ones...

I liked the idea of the candy melts being used for toppers, using the molds. Of course, the odds of mine ever looking so nice would be slim! haha

And I've seen others do this here on CC, but I like using decorated cookies for accent on some cakes. Maybe a Valentine's Day cake with heart cookies around.

I don't really enjoy using the shaped pans, but did anyone else find these interesting to try? Did anyone else found something they wanted to now try, after seeing it in the magazine?

18 replies
foxymomma521 Posted 30 Aug 2008 , 5:08pm
post #2 of 19

I have to say, I was kind of disappointed with this yearbook. It didn't give many new ideas, and the ones it had require you to buy molds to complete the cake.

amysue99 Posted 30 Aug 2008 , 5:21pm
post #3 of 19

Doesn't that always seem the way with Wilton. Most of the yearbooks after 1980 seem to require their shaped pans, which I don't use. They're a great selling tool for Wilton, but I rarely use any idea from the yearbook. I do, however, like their new giant cupcake pans. Anyone tried those yet?

LetThereBeCake07 Posted 30 Aug 2008 , 5:23pm
post #4 of 19

yeah, its okay. I also dont use shaped pans, do everything by hand cutting the shapes. I still like to look at the books for ideas, you never know...one you didnt like at first may reach out and grab ya at another time.

jibbies Posted 30 Aug 2008 , 5:24pm
post #5 of 19

Actually this year I was a little disappointed in the yearbook. I thought the wedding cake section was filled with glorified birthday cakes. I did like the section on 3D desserts though. If I had to give an overall opinion I would say cutsey, childish.
Thanks to CC I see cakes in a whole new way!

Jibbies

KathysCC Posted 30 Aug 2008 , 5:40pm
post #6 of 19

I have to agree, this is the most disappointing Wilton Yearbook ever. I thought for a moment that I am spoiled to the far superior work that I see here on CC but there are tons of gorgeous cakes in all the previous Wilton books that I still absolutely love. I own over 30 years worth of yearbooks and I get most of my decorating ideas from them.

I think the problem is that Wilton is trying overly hard to put cakes in their yearbook that require you to purchase their newest products. I realize their yearbook has always been a marketing tool for them but this latest edition seemed to use too many already made, already shaped tools and pans and items that many of us have gotten away from after finding Cake Central.

I still love Wilton, and there are a few cute things in the new book but I think they could do better. All IMHO of course.

tonedna Posted 30 Aug 2008 , 5:52pm
post #7 of 19

Yup..totally disapointed..not a bit..a lot!

buttercup212215 Posted 30 Aug 2008 , 6:07pm
post #8 of 19

I agee the new wilton is noting special this year. Actually this is th first year i have not bought it since 1995.

Gingoodies Posted 30 Aug 2008 , 9:03pm
post #9 of 19

In the past year or so, Wilton was bought out by a big conglomerate. I have noticed a decidedly downward trend in a lot of their products. The past two yearbooks (2008/2009) have been a disappointment. Some new products are a total waste (castle kit icon_confused.gif ) They are branching out into so MANY new areas (measuring cups, spatulas, etc.) where they probably should have stuck to cake decorating. I will say that some of the new products are very cute, some new baby things, new packaging options, new stands. On the whole, I wish they had a little healthy competition. JMHO.

SugarFrosted Posted 30 Aug 2008 , 10:35pm
post #10 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gingoodies

In the past year or so, Wilton was bought out by a big conglomerate. I have noticed a decidedly downward trend in a lot of their products. The past two yearbooks (2008/2009) have been a disappointment. Some new products are a total waste (castle kit icon_confused.gif ) They are branching out into so MANY new areas (measuring cups, spatulas, etc.) where they probably should have stuck to cake decorating. I will say that some of the new products are very cute, some new baby things, new packaging options, new stands. On the whole, I wish they had a little healthy competition. JMHO.

That explains a lot. The new companies they merged with offer kitchen equipment and scrapbooking supplies.

http://www.wilton.com/about/corporate.cfm

I have almost every Wilton yearbook since the 1970s (plus a few from the 1960s) and a majority of the pattern books. They used to be such good sources of ideas. I still like looking at the pictures. However, since I don't use fondant, I am less than enthusiastic about the almost-all fondant cakes in the past few yearbooks. Maybe I am stuck in the past using all buttercream, but my clients just don't want fondant.

Am I the only one?

Gingoodies Posted 30 Aug 2008 , 11:57pm
post #11 of 19

SugarFrosted, I am a BC or whipped cream person too. I have yet to do even 1 fondant cake, and none of my customers have even asked for it.

PattyT Posted 31 Aug 2008 , 12:14am
post #12 of 19

I agree with most about this book. I have no projects pending but have a Michael's Labor Day coupon burning a hole in my pocket. I thought I'd use it to pick up the yearbook to have as inspiration - but nothing special.

I get more ideas here and in general from the internet....their loss I guess.

gscout73 Posted 31 Aug 2008 , 12:26am
post #13 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gingoodies

In the past year or so, Wilton was bought out by a big conglomerate. I have noticed a decidedly downward trend in a lot of their products. The past two yearbooks (2008/2009) have been a disappointment. Some new products are a total waste (castle kit icon_confused.gif ) They are branching out into so MANY new areas (measuring cups, spatulas, etc.) where they probably should have stuck to cake decorating.JMHO.

I, too, have been disappointed with the last 2 books issued. I would rather see more decorating techniques and styles rather than toys. They could have put more money into creating a BETTER TASTING FONDANT!!! icon_cry.gif CAN YOU HEAR ME??? KNOCK KNOCK..... SPEND SOME MONEY ON YOUR FONDANT!!!! icon_mad.gif

Ooops. Sorry everyone. Kinda got carried away... icon_cool.gif

shadowgypsie Posted 31 Aug 2008 , 1:11am
post #14 of 19

I'm Sorry to say that the yearbook is mostly for the beginner cake decorator now. I too collect the old Wilton Yearbooks and have found the newer books to be disappointing.

TexasSugar Posted 31 Aug 2008 , 1:31am
post #15 of 19

I guess I am the odd man out. I liked the yearbook.

Like every year when I first flip through it I think it is okay, but after looking again and seeing different things I like it more. There are several cakes that I think are very pretty and wish I had reasons to use them.

Do I like every cake in there? Nope, but there again I don't like every cake I see in any book. Are there things in there I will never use? Yep, but agian there are things her on CC that I will never use.

Cakepro Posted 31 Aug 2008 , 3:01am
post #16 of 19

I thought it was pretty blah too. Maybe I'm too spoiled by looking at seriously beautiful cakes here and elsewhere. Wilton is so....typically Wilton.

~ Sherri

KathyTW Posted 31 Aug 2008 , 3:23am
post #17 of 19

I too was disappointed, but in a different way than most of the other posts. When I saw the cover and saw the Giant Cupcake I figured that there would be at least a couple of ideas for that pan.....not one....not even the one on the cover (at least that I could find!)

I'm all for a yearbook that has great ideas but I'd also like to have a section on "how to" for some of the techniques. (Thank goodness we have CC for that!!!!)

Cookie4 Posted 31 Aug 2008 , 3:51am
post #18 of 19

Like every cookbook or magazine I buy, there is always something that catches my eye and makes me spend the money. With the Wilton yearbooks I find that I review them over and over many times before placing them on the shelves with other previous yearbooks. There is usually something worth making, even if the whole edition doesn't really stimulate me it's still worth the money.

In the 2009 edition I found the 'Barn Rasing' on page 92 interesting and I think I'll actually make it with fondant animals, not those cupcake feet cups which would probably hit the trash can when used. The barn looks cute and has possibilities.

While I wasn't impressed with the wedding section at all, I did find some interesting things in the Christmas section. In particular, I like the Cookie Gift Box on page 51 which would make a great gift idea and the Snow Globe Greetings cookie on the same page - hum, never thought of covering a peanutbutter cup with colored chocolate melts before.

So, all in all, I think there are a few tidbits in the publication making it a bargain, especially with a 40% off discount coupon.

osorio Posted 31 Aug 2008 , 4:20am
post #19 of 19

I was too very disappointed with this Wilton Yearbook. I agree that we find more great ideas here in CC.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%