Black Icing Bleed....help!

Decorating By hummingbird59 Updated 30 Aug 2008 , 4:26pm by Kiddiekakes

hummingbird59 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hummingbird59 Posted 30 Aug 2008 , 3:58pm
post #1 of 4

Ok so this is not too bad (hopefully) since it is for family. My problem is they wanted a 50th BD cake. One niece specificly (spelling?) told me ..white icing with black border and black writing and red Happy Birthday. I finished the 11 x 15 and it looked good. This morning I look at it and the black has a slight red bleed around the letters. They should be here anytime to pick it up. Is there anything I can do other than an apology? It is for another niece. Any advice for the future other than no black. icon_sad.gif

3 replies
sandykay Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sandykay Posted 30 Aug 2008 , 4:08pm
post #2 of 4

I don't know how to fix the problem know, but I have learned that if I'm not useing a very large amout of black then I buy the pre-made tubes, like Wilton. As you can tell I've had that happen to me. I once bought like 12 tubes to do a cake it was for a giant sheet cake for my work that had a big black letter "R" as a logo. I decided for get it I'm buying the black made.

jibbies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jibbies Posted 30 Aug 2008 , 4:25pm
post #3 of 4

I did this cake on a Saturday night for a Sunday afternoon pick up.
http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-photo_1260235.html
I didn't put it in the fridge, no bleeding problems. The only time I've ever had a bleeding problem was when someone picked a cake up and didn't serve it until the next day. She put it in the fridge and some of the blue ran onto the white.

Jibbies

Kiddiekakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kiddiekakes Posted 30 Aug 2008 , 4:26pm
post #4 of 4

I find that if I don't make my black fresh everytime I need it..by that I mean not saving the extra icing and letting it sit out etc..The color doesn't bleed.It's only when I keep a container and take it out and in and out that it begins to break down with the butter in my recipe and sort of gets soupy.Time to throw out!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%