Colour Scheme Help!

Decorating By tiamariad Updated 30 Aug 2008 , 4:35pm by Kitagrl

tiamariad Posted 30 Aug 2008 , 3:00pm
post #1 of 8

Ok, I've practically decided on the design of Bailey's Birthday cake (I've changed my mind a dozen times but we've settled on little einsteins as I couldn't think of a way to make a Power Ranger 3d cake)

Anyway I've got my design infront of me but the colour scheme eludes me. Here the description of the cake I will try and post a pic if I can later.

The cake is a three tier wonky cake, however the top tier will be cut in so it's narrow at the bottom but it will not have a slanted top as I'm going to make a 'Rocket' ship to sit on top. The top tier I thought I would cover in sky blue fondant and have white clouds to appear as if rocket is flying through the sky. The middle tier I was going to have diamonds as I think they look lovely and musical notes where the diamonds meet in the middle but I do not have a clue for colours at all for this tier. The bottom tier I don't have a design or colour scheme for. I was thinking of doing figures of the einstein characters aswell to sit on some of the tiers. I don't want the colours to be too bright but not dull either, Just had an idea to do the bottom tier like rockets bedroom but don't know how much hard work that will be. I'm just going to check the disney website now.

Please can you help, any suggestionswould be truly appreciated

Thanks
Nikkei

7 replies
mommy_of_3_DDs Posted 30 Aug 2008 , 3:06pm
post #2 of 8

I can't help with colors, but the cake sounds fantastic!

Kitagrl Posted 30 Aug 2008 , 3:13pm
post #3 of 8

What if you did the bottom tier with grasses and flowers, kind of wonky/sticking out/whatever...then the middle tier with the characters kind of like this cake:

http://images.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://bp2.blogger.com/_zPOvpKvWtG4/SC6mSwdfMxI/AAAAAAAAA10/CN4OFK-fKl0/s400/Little%2BEinsteins%2B001.jpg&imgrefurl=http://layersoflove.blogspot.com/2008/05/little-einsteins-rocket-cake.html&h=400&w=319&sz=24&hl=en&start=18&um=1&usg=__bOEsQvjoxm9Ag0myZdegAC5qHLQ=&tbnid=QAUfu3ByX8FxDM:&tbnh=124&tbnw=99&prev=/images%3Fq%3Dlittle%2Beinsteins%26um%3D1%26hl%3Den%26rls%3Dcom.microsoft:en-US%26sa%3DN

Only the background maybe being stripes or diamonds like you said, maybe in reds/yellows/blues like rocket....and musical notes as well....and then the top tier light blue with clouds.

I'd make the bottom tier with the grasses rather simple, only a few flowers and mostly grasses, a few shades of green maybe with a very pale green fondant background......

The middle tier would be busy with characters and notes...

The top tier would again be simple with light blue and a few clouds...

And then your rocket/cloud topper.

nickshalfpint Posted 30 Aug 2008 , 3:20pm
post #4 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitagrl

What if you did the bottom tier with grasses and flowers, kind of wonky/sticking out/whatever...then the middle tier with the characters kind of like this cake:

http://images.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://bp2.blogger.com/_zPOvpKvWtG4/SC6mSwdfMxI/AAAAAAAAA10/CN4OFK-fKl0/s400/Little%2BEinsteins%2B001.jpg&imgrefurl=http://layersoflove.blogspot.com/2008/05/little-einsteins-rocket-cake.html&h=400&w=319&sz=24&hl=en&start=18&um=1&usg=__bOEsQvjoxm9Ag0myZdegAC5qHLQ=&tbnid=QAUfu3ByX8FxDM:&tbnh=124&tbnw=99&prev=/images%3Fq%3Dlittle%2Beinsteins%26um%3D1%26hl%3Den%26rls%3Dcom.microsoft:en-US%26sa%3DN

Only the background maybe being stripes or diamonds like you said, maybe in reds/yellows/blues like rocket....and musical notes as well....and then the top tier light blue with clouds.

I'd make the bottom tier with the grasses rather simple, only a few flowers and mostly grasses, a few shades of green maybe with a very pale green fondant background......

The middle tier would be busy with characters and notes...

The top tier would again be simple with light blue and a few clouds...

And then your rocket/cloud topper.

I was thinking the same thing. Maybe do a red on the second tier. Can't wait to see the pic!

tiamariad Posted 30 Aug 2008 , 4:05pm
post #5 of 8

Kitagrl that sounds like a great idea, I'm just a bit worried as I was thinking of the bottom tier as a 14 inch cake and being atleast 5 inches high at the biggest point. Do you think if I added a large trees some big bushes and a white picket fence like the one in the show it would be too busy? I'm gonna go and take a picture of the drawing so you can see what I mean. Thanks for your great ideas and speedy response I'd be going insane otherwise![/quote]

Kitagrl Posted 30 Aug 2008 , 4:12pm
post #6 of 8

I'm actually picturing a tiered cake that is not completely "wonky"...all angled like your top tier but flat...so 4" tiers, narrower at the bottom...

Then the bottom tier really pale green, with dark green jungle grasses coming up from the base at varying heights, some as tall as the tier itself...very few pink and blue or ? flowers scattered around.

Middle tier red and yellow diamonds with characters around the middle tier.

Top tier pale blue with clouds...then rocket on top.

I was even thinking you could make music notes on wires and stick them out of the entire cake either sporadically or even in a spiral pattern.... that way you can just do diamonds and characters in the center tier.

Of course its your cake, its just what I have pictured in mind.

tiamariad Posted 30 Aug 2008 , 4:30pm
post #7 of 8

Loving the musical notes idea, I tried to do something like that with hearts but the hearts were too heavy I guess the musical notes wouldn't be so heavy.

I hope this works heres the picture i have so far, I need to amend some of it to put the musical notes and look at the grass again

here we go...
[/img]
LL

Kitagrl Posted 30 Aug 2008 , 4:35pm
post #8 of 8

Cute!

Its just MHO that the bottom tier should be ONLY pale green with the grasses/fence/whatever...and you should save the blue and clouds for the top tier. You don't want sky both on the bottom and the top I don't think.

And feel free to make the grasses longer and more whimsey... I have a couple tiered cakes in my photos that I did "jungley" and the grasses spanned the height of the cake in some cases... try to keep each tier with its own theme.

Cute idea, they'll love the cake I know!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%