Has Anyone Ever Made A Mandarin Orange Cake?

Decorating By sparklynne Updated 31 Aug 2008 , 8:21am by sparklynne

sparklynne Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sparklynne Posted 30 Aug 2008 , 5:41am
post #1 of 7

Recently I was speaking with a client whom is pregnant and was ordering her baby shower cake and she has been having cravings for those sweet little oranges and asked me about a cake. I am big into experimenting but was curious wether or not someone has tried this. I am planning on doing my very vanilla cake and infusing orange flavoring lightly into it so that it is not overpowering and folding in a small amount of the little oranges. For a filling I was going to go with a whipped vanilla cream filling infused with the fruit almost to a mousse consistency. Anyone tried this? I am afraid the little oranges may become bitter in the baking process. Just curious. TYIA

6 replies
bakerchick Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bakerchick Posted 30 Aug 2008 , 6:07am
post #2 of 7

Have you ever tried a flourless orange cake? Not sure if you are aware with tha recipe you actually boil 2 large oranges whole (peel and all) until soft right through and put it straight into the wizzer with all the other ingredients.
It's a very simple cake but very orange in falvour and not at all bitter.
let me know if you'd like the recipe. you could just as easily do a half an half ornage/mandarin - just don't forget to get pips out before wizzing! icon_wink.gif

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 30 Aug 2008 , 2:44pm
post #3 of 7

Haven't made it but I would think you could take one of the little cans and blend into 'juice' to use as the liquid (you may need to add some water to have enough), then add another can of the whole oranges folded into the batter.

dabear Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dabear Posted 30 Aug 2008 , 8:55pm
post #4 of 7

here's a couple of recipes. i have made the filling and it is good!
I haven't tried the cake, yet!

Scroll down, she uses the white cake and then adds the oranges. Look for the Orange Cake Recipe!
http://www.earlenescakes.com/recipes.htm

http://www.wrenscottage.com/kitchen/recipes/filling/mandarinorg.php

Good luck!

amoos Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
amoos Posted 30 Aug 2008 , 9:18pm
post #5 of 7

I make mandarin orange cake all the time.....my family LOVES it, esp. in the summer time. We keep it refridgerated because of the icing and it's soooo good nice and cold, really hits the spot.

Mandarin Orange Cake:

1 box butter or white cake mix
4 eggs
1 can mandarin oranges (don't drain the juice)
3/4 cup vegetable oil

Mix all and bake 18 - 20 min @ 325 in 2, 8 or 9in round pans.

Icing:
1 large container cool whip
1 large can curshed pineapple
1 large box instant vanilla pudding

Mix pineapple and pudding then fold in cool whip. Spread on cake.

*I use the icing as a filling and I also stir in mandarin oranges, just break them up a bit. I like to ice the cake with a whipped buttercream, not too sweet though, so that I can still do all the normal decorations.*

A friend of mine HAD to have this cake for her baby shower as well....must be a preggo thing icon_smile.gif

nannie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nannie Posted 30 Aug 2008 , 11:38pm
post #6 of 7

mine is almost the same as amoos's but I also add chopped walnuts

one of my most popular cakes

sparklynne Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sparklynne Posted 31 Aug 2008 , 8:21am
post #7 of 7

Oh wow! You are all amazing!! icon_eek.gif Thank you so much for your recipes and help. I truly appreciate you all taking time from your busy schedules to offer your advice. Can't wait to try all these and the variations! I am super excited! icon_biggrin.gif Thank you all! Wow bakerchick!, I have never heard of that but really interested in trying it. I would love to have the recipe if it is not too much trouble icon_smile.gifYum amoos and nannie Thanks for sharing! Thanks dabear and kakeladi for all your help! icon_biggrin.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%