Any Recommendations For Cake Purchases From A Trip 2 England

Decorating By xstitcher Updated 30 Aug 2008 , 4:52pm by xstitcher

xstitcher Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
xstitcher Posted 30 Aug 2008 , 3:37am
post #1 of 7

that we can't perhaps get here? My Dad's heading out to London and Birmingham next week for a wedding and I'm hoping that if he has time he could pick me up something but I don't know what! Do you all recommend anything that would be great to have from there that we can't get easily from here?

TIA icon_smile.gif

6 replies
sweetcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetcakes Posted 30 Aug 2008 , 5:07am
post #2 of 7

with the exchange rate and the 17.5% tax ontop of everything youd probably be better off getting the British stuff from global sugar art or another US vendor. you could take a look at a UK cake supply website to see what there is and how much. one is called almondart not sure of their url though.

AceBaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AceBaker Posted 30 Aug 2008 , 1:06pm
post #3 of 7

If you mean actual cakes themselves instead of tools, ask your dad to wander into a Marks and Spencer's, or if he makes it to Harrod's, to see if they have their Christmas things out yet. If they do, (and they might, they get them out pretty early over there) get him to bring you back a Christmas pudding. If not, Marks and Spencer's usually has some tiny and nice fondent covered fruit cake things.

But that's only if you mean cakes. icon_smile.gif

xstitcher Posted 30 Aug 2008 , 3:13pm
post #4 of 7

Thanks to both of you for your replies!

I haven't heard the name Marks and Spencers since I was a teenager! We used to have those in Ontario when I was younger. I loved getting their cakes and cookies!!! Brings back soooo many memories!!! icon_smile.gif

CakeWhizz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeWhizz Posted 30 Aug 2008 , 3:45pm
post #5 of 7

To be honest you guys in the US have a lot of great products I am soo jealous! However, Almond Art is a good online store but a bit pricey. Try www.cakecraftshop.co.uk instead. I will recommend you get the SugarFlair paste colours as they have been rated as the best by the great Colette Peters! I will also suggest that you look up stuff by Lindy Smith at http://www.lindyscakes.co.uk/
Hope this helps. Have your dad enjoys the wedding and is not too disappointed with our weathericon_smile.gif

CakeWhizz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeWhizz Posted 30 Aug 2008 , 3:47pm
post #6 of 7

PS While Harrods does pretty good Xmas puddings, lowly Tesco's tends to come out tops each year.

xstitcher Posted 30 Aug 2008 , 4:52pm
post #7 of 7

Thanks for the info CakeWhizz!

I'll take a look at the websites when I get back in later today! As for the weather, I think it's always been raining/wet when we've been there in the past. I just thought that was a part of going there icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif . No seriously, you guys have some of the best countryside around! I love going there, haven't been in ages but one of these days!!!!

Thanks again to everyone!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%