I'm Nuts...

Decorating By mommabuda Updated 30 Aug 2008 , 2:28pm by mommabuda

mommabuda Posted 30 Aug 2008 , 2:53am
post #1 of 8

I've decided to enter a cake decorating contest. K, so that's probably not the craziest sounding thing ever but the thing is that it's the day AFTER I'm having my c-section!!! AND we just packed away ALL of my cake stuff and brought it to my parents to store it while we try to sell our house!

So my plan is to do it all on Thursday and then my husband will bring the cake to the contest for me on Saturday while I'm still at the hospital and hopefully I'll win one of the cash prizes!!! I wouldn't do it normally but first prize is $250 and we really need the money considering our savings is almost completely gone and we're starting to get hospital bills already...

Now, onto the theme of the contest... it's for a festival in town called "Sputnikfest". Sputnik was something that the Russians flew up into space back in the 50's & 60's. They sent a total of 10 of these things up in space (one containing a live dog which burned up in re-entry... so sad) but the 4th one actually ended up breaking apart and a 20 lb. piece of it landed on our main street in town creating a 3 inch deep crater. Yeah, whoopie... well, for some reason our town decided to celebrate it this year and they're having this big festivities for it... SOOOOO... the cake is supposed to be "cosmic" and taste good as well... I'll be happy with any of the prizes actually... 2nd place is $150 and 3rd is $100.

Any ideas on what I should do???

7 replies
SugarFrosted Posted 30 Aug 2008 , 3:11am
post #2 of 8

You're right! You ARE nuts! Is this your first baby?

mommabuda Posted 30 Aug 2008 , 12:31pm
post #3 of 8

Nope, this will be number 2. I have a 2 year old boy as well (that probably UPS the crazy factor... lol...) and this one is a girl icon_smile.gif

FromScratch Posted 30 Aug 2008 , 12:57pm
post #4 of 8

Yup.. nuts-o!! icon_wink.gif

Good luck with that. I know that by that point in pregnancy I wouldn't even want to try to make a cake.. so even wanting to makes you more industrious than I was.

foxymomma521 Posted 30 Aug 2008 , 1:25pm
post #5 of 8

Well, if you guys need the $$ I understand why you want to do it... What are you thinking for the cake? Do you have your flavor picked out?

marknelliesmum Posted 30 Aug 2008 , 1:38pm
post #6 of 8

Yea no pregnancy madness there - you are nuts! icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

Personally I have no concrete ideas to suggest and I don't know if you want a sculpted cake or basic shape with modelling paste embellishments but I did a google for sputnik then further googled sputnik stamps ( made in commemoration of each launch) some of these are really cool and may give you some inspiration - it really depends what you fancy doing - since having a baby is not enough to be getting on with icon_eek.gificon_eek.gificon_eek.gif
Good luck with the cake - and God Bless you and your new Baby x

terrig007 Posted 30 Aug 2008 , 2:04pm
post #7 of 8

As one who was "chained" to her bed for 4 days after my c-section due to infection I just want to wish you good luck if you take on this endeavor and congrats on your new bundle of joy.
Did you ever see the movie "October Sky"? It centers around Sputnik's launching and this young man from WV who dreams of going to space. He and his three friends make rockets and actually go to a Science contest in 1958 it is a true story although the movie embellished it and the guy wound up working for NASA on the space shuttle although he never made it into space. You could always do a rocket cake.
As for space dog, he passed away though before the rocket reached space and they had a provision to put the dog down before it descended to earth. I was interested in the space programs and all when I was a kid so I know a lot of useless trivial things about it.

mommabuda Posted 30 Aug 2008 , 2:28pm
post #8 of 8

I'm waiting for an email back from the people putting on the contest to see what they're mainly judging on before I pick flavors and everything... someone had suggested a spinoff of it and doing a "Spud-nik" cake with a Mr. Potato Head dressed in space stuff... lol... could be kinda funny but I'm not sure how judges would take it. I'm tempted to enter because we just had our county fair last week and there were 2 cakes entered into the contest (I opted not to enter this year because of the baby) and the cakes were horrendous. They looked like my 2 year old could've done them. If that's the kind of talent I would be up against, I think something super simple would win as long as it's done neatly and yeah, we could really use the money with hospital bills starting up.

This is my second c-section so I kinda know what to expect but the nerves are still there. I'll wait and see what the contest people say... I also asked if you could enter more than one cake... heck, if I could take all $500 of the prizes away, that would be WELL worth my time!

Quote by @%username% on %date%