Swiss Dots... Mat Or Freehand???

Decorating By knel Updated 30 Aug 2008 , 2:31pm by indydebi

knel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
knel Posted 30 Aug 2008 , 2:03am
post #1 of 12

I'm wanting to do Swiss dot on a top tier cake and was wondering if there is a mat or is it a freehand deco??? I could probably do it freehand, but how far inbetween each 3-dot bunch do you space, and about how much space between each row?

Thanks!

11 replies
TooMuchCake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TooMuchCake Posted 30 Aug 2008 , 3:10am
post #2 of 12

I have a mat to help me with mine. I have done it freehand before, and I start out nice and even, but as I go along, I get more and more wonky. The mat keeps me on track.

Deanna

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 30 Aug 2008 , 3:20am
post #3 of 12

I've done it both waysicon_smile.gif It depends on how much of a perfectionist you are - reallyicon_smile.gif

momtobtb Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
momtobtb Posted 30 Aug 2008 , 3:38am
post #4 of 12

I've been looking for a swiss dot mat. Where's a good place to get one?

Thanks!

all4cake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
all4cake Posted 30 Aug 2008 , 3:54am
post #5 of 12

http://www.earlenescakes.com/dotimprintmats.html

She demonstrates the various ways to use the single dot mat. I truly never thought of using it for quite a few things she shows...basket weave guide marks for one

xstitcher Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
xstitcher Posted 30 Aug 2008 , 4:09am
post #6 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by all4cake

http://www.earlenescakes.com/dotimprintmats.html

She demonstrates the various ways to use the single dot mat. I truly never thought of using it for quite a few things she shows...basket weave guide marks for one

Thanks so much for sharing that, that's a lot of uses! I think I'll have to order some of these for myself! icon_smile.gif

sparklynne Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sparklynne Posted 30 Aug 2008 , 5:06am
post #7 of 12

ok I am cheap! icon_redface.gif to be honest I didn't know that they even made such a thing lol and my area is so small that I didn't have one readily available when I needed one and no time to order it. So here is what I did lol... I got a really nice sized sheet of styrofoam that normally I would use to dry my gumpaste roses on.. I took a ruler and measured out the spacing I wanted for my dots. I inserted a toothpick at these point until I had a fairly large space covered on the styrofoam, I then touched the pick side to the cake all the way around it, keeping the entry points lined up when I moved it to make new markings. It worked fantastic!! Made quick work of my 3 tier wedding cake project. icon_smile.gif

xstitcher Posted 30 Aug 2008 , 5:09am
post #8 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by sparklynne

ok I am cheap!

I was LMAO!! I'm sure we're all like that at times!!!

P.S. That's some great thinking, now you've got my wheels a turnin'!! icon_biggrin.gif

sparklynne Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sparklynne Posted 30 Aug 2008 , 5:21am
post #9 of 12

Thanks icon_lol.gif Lmao.. I grew up on a farm and if we didn't have it my mom taught us how to make it or problem solve it. So when in doubt I will see things I would love to have on my wish list but really can't see spending the money on myself for and I will problem solve the heck right out of it until I can make me something comparable or even better for next to nothing! icon_lol.gif I am glad that I made someone else laugh about it. A little ingenuity goes a long ways sometimes! I have leaf veiners and you name it all home made and they get the job done icon_biggrin.gif

xstitcher Posted 30 Aug 2008 , 5:34am
post #10 of 12

You know Lynne, I'm the same as was my mom! My DH thinks I'm nuts, he's all for having free time and the easy route! Me, I take forever ordering things on-line because of all the comparison shopping I do! I think my eyes are bleeding trying to find the best homeschooling supplies this week icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif ! As for spending $$ on myself, almost unheard of, it's usually my DH that buys the stuff for me! I can spend $$ on him, my kids and the rest of my family but when it comes to me.....

P.S. I'd love to hear about your homemade veiner!

knel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
knel Posted 30 Aug 2008 , 1:59pm
post #11 of 12

Hey, thanks for the tips. I'm a little "OCD" when it comes to cakin'... I love the styrofoam/toothpick idea. Thinkin' I'll give that a try! Hope you all have a great weekend!

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 30 Aug 2008 , 2:31pm
post #12 of 12

There's a mat for this? icon_confused.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%