Swiss Dots... Mat Or Freehand???

Decorating By knel Updated 30 Aug 2008 , 2:31pm by indydebi

knel Posted 30 Aug 2008 , 2:03am
post #1 of 12

I'm wanting to do Swiss dot on a top tier cake and was wondering if there is a mat or is it a freehand deco??? I could probably do it freehand, but how far inbetween each 3-dot bunch do you space, and about how much space between each row?

Thanks!

11 replies
TooMuchCake Posted 30 Aug 2008 , 3:10am
post #2 of 12

I have a mat to help me with mine. I have done it freehand before, and I start out nice and even, but as I go along, I get more and more wonky. The mat keeps me on track.

Deanna

kakeladi Posted 30 Aug 2008 , 3:20am
post #3 of 12

I've done it both waysicon_smile.gif It depends on how much of a perfectionist you are - reallyicon_smile.gif

momtobtb Posted 30 Aug 2008 , 3:38am
post #4 of 12

I've been looking for a swiss dot mat. Where's a good place to get one?

Thanks!

all4cake Posted 30 Aug 2008 , 3:54am
post #5 of 12

http://www.earlenescakes.com/dotimprintmats.html

She demonstrates the various ways to use the single dot mat. I truly never thought of using it for quite a few things she shows...basket weave guide marks for one

xstitcher Posted 30 Aug 2008 , 4:09am
post #6 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by all4cake

http://www.earlenescakes.com/dotimprintmats.html

She demonstrates the various ways to use the single dot mat. I truly never thought of using it for quite a few things she shows...basket weave guide marks for one

Thanks so much for sharing that, that's a lot of uses! I think I'll have to order some of these for myself! icon_smile.gif

sparklynne Posted 30 Aug 2008 , 5:06am
post #7 of 12

ok I am cheap! icon_redface.gif to be honest I didn't know that they even made such a thing lol and my area is so small that I didn't have one readily available when I needed one and no time to order it. So here is what I did lol... I got a really nice sized sheet of styrofoam that normally I would use to dry my gumpaste roses on.. I took a ruler and measured out the spacing I wanted for my dots. I inserted a toothpick at these point until I had a fairly large space covered on the styrofoam, I then touched the pick side to the cake all the way around it, keeping the entry points lined up when I moved it to make new markings. It worked fantastic!! Made quick work of my 3 tier wedding cake project. icon_smile.gif

xstitcher Posted 30 Aug 2008 , 5:09am
post #8 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by sparklynne

ok I am cheap!

I was LMAO!! I'm sure we're all like that at times!!!

P.S. That's some great thinking, now you've got my wheels a turnin'!! icon_biggrin.gif

sparklynne Posted 30 Aug 2008 , 5:21am
post #9 of 12

Thanks icon_lol.gif Lmao.. I grew up on a farm and if we didn't have it my mom taught us how to make it or problem solve it. So when in doubt I will see things I would love to have on my wish list but really can't see spending the money on myself for and I will problem solve the heck right out of it until I can make me something comparable or even better for next to nothing! icon_lol.gif I am glad that I made someone else laugh about it. A little ingenuity goes a long ways sometimes! I have leaf veiners and you name it all home made and they get the job done icon_biggrin.gif

xstitcher Posted 30 Aug 2008 , 5:34am
post #10 of 12

You know Lynne, I'm the same as was my mom! My DH thinks I'm nuts, he's all for having free time and the easy route! Me, I take forever ordering things on-line because of all the comparison shopping I do! I think my eyes are bleeding trying to find the best homeschooling supplies this week icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif ! As for spending $$ on myself, almost unheard of, it's usually my DH that buys the stuff for me! I can spend $$ on him, my kids and the rest of my family but when it comes to me.....

P.S. I'd love to hear about your homemade veiner!

knel Posted 30 Aug 2008 , 1:59pm
post #11 of 12

Hey, thanks for the tips. I'm a little "OCD" when it comes to cakin'... I love the styrofoam/toothpick idea. Thinkin' I'll give that a try! Hope you all have a great weekend!

indydebi Posted 30 Aug 2008 , 2:31pm
post #12 of 12

There's a mat for this? icon_confused.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%