Gustav Is Making Me Nervous

Lounge By Luby Updated 8 Sep 2008 , 11:35pm by tcturtleshell

Luby Posted 30 Aug 2008 , 1:16am
post #1 of 90

I've been watching the projected path and it looks like the eye will pass right over my house - LOL!

I'm usually not one to worry too much about bad weather, but this one is making me nervous. Maybe, I'm just getting older and you worry more the older you get. My DH is out of town so I'll either be staying with friends or my sister-in-law - not sure which one just yet.

Please say a prayer for everyone in Gustav's path.

89 replies
foxymomma521 Posted 30 Aug 2008 , 1:30am
post #2 of 90

I will pray for you... You know, I can't imagine what it must be like to worry about something like that. The worst we get here is a couple snowstorms a year, and as much as they suck, they can be kinda fun too. I'm sorry you have to deal with those worries, and I will pray that all turns out well...

Kim_in_CajunCountry Posted 30 Aug 2008 , 3:41am
post #3 of 90

We're about 20 miles east and slightly south of Luby. See the image I created below. We're going to ride it out. The only real concern I have is the possibility of tornadoes.

Oh, and if/when the power fails, my two girls will be bored in no time. They refuse to believe that there is not one documented case of a child actually dying from boredom! Since I've never modeled gumpaste or fondant, I bought a case of PlayDoh and we'll try some of the techniques in my books. Hopefully, that will keep them occupied during daylight hours.

But once the sun goes down and we can't see our hands in front of our faces and the temperature in the house rises above 80 degrees with humidity at 100%...well, it's not going to be fun.

Let's all hope that Gustav disintegrates before he gets here.

Curtsmin24 Posted 30 Aug 2008 , 4:26am
post #4 of 90

I definitly can understand your nervousness. I am originally from Rhode Island and never really experienced a hurricane scare until I moved to Florida. I have flashlights and batteries everywhere in my apartment just in case. I was in the military so the mentality of being prepared kicks in fairly quickly. It's just me and hubby so we are somewhat ready for anything, hopefully. I bought board games and one of those camp lanterns so that if we lose power we will have something to do. I keep my laptop and my archos charged ( it's an mp3 and video player) We have tons of movies and songs downloaded just in case. We lost power once and we were okay. I even bought those water cleaning pills too.

Since my mom lives in a trailer and they are the first to get evacuated we have two air matresses in our spare bedroom and a couple of boxes of perishables on hand also. We also keep scraps of fabric and other craft items to keep ourselves occupied. I went to bj's wholsale today and bought two cases of spaghetti and water. My hubby told me that we didn't need spaghetti but I say when your hungry you will eat anything, especially if it's familiar. I convinced my mom to buy mre's, too. They are military ready to eat meals. They aren't the best but they sure are good in times of crisis. They are a little pricey but you can heat them up with these little pouches that they have with like 1/3 cup of water and trust me they taste just as good as a steak dinner when you can't have one. Search online they have some with everything from breakfast, lunch, and dinner. Most of them were made for wartime so they last a very long time. The ones we had to eat in the military were from WWII, but I liked them.

Hopefully, all goes well and I gave you some ideas. If not i'm sorry, but I really do know what you are going through. Try to stay calm ( easier said then done) so that if disaster does strike you can handle it. The worse thing to do is panic. Good luck, and stay strong. I hope everything turns out well.

Meemawfish Posted 30 Aug 2008 , 1:01pm
post #5 of 90

I will most certainly pray for you and your family and pray for the people in the projected path. Maybe if we all pray Gustav will die away before to much damage is done. God Bless you. icon_biggrin.gif

Kim_in_CajunCountry Posted 30 Aug 2008 , 2:00pm
post #6 of 90
Originally Posted by Curtsmin24

I went to bj's wholsale today and bought two cases of spaghetti and water. My hubby told me that we didn't need spaghetti but I say when your hungry you will eat anything, especially if it's familiar.

I bought six pounds of elbow macaroni! It's one of DH's favorite "light" meals, so I figured it was good hurricane food. icon_biggrin.gif

suzylynn58 Posted 30 Aug 2008 , 6:51pm
post #7 of 90

I'm in SW Louisiana and nervous too. we are considering staying and riding it out, but now its a Cat 4 already! They are telling us that it will not be like last time when we came back a day after Rita. If we leave, we won't be able to come back till they tell us. I work at the hospital and have a letter that would let me back in once the hospital is ready to re-open. but that worries me.

we really didn't have a plan because I hoped it wouldn't come here, so will be staying with extended family in North LA.

I did go and get non-perishables just in case we decide to brave it.

Be safe and hopefully this will no be too bad.

charlieinMO Posted 30 Aug 2008 , 7:29pm
post #8 of 90

Will be thinking and praying for all of you!! I saw the headline on yahoo that it was headed that way and I was just so sad for everyone. Will pray that it just dies out before it hits land!! Hang in there and you all be safe!

moreCakePlz Posted 31 Aug 2008 , 12:50am
post #9 of 90

If you are anywhere near water, load your car with as much stuff as you can and RUN.

Here are some of my before and after Katrina picturesâ¦

Note: Before we evacuated I put my plants in the dining room to keep them âsafeâ. Ha Ha Ha

VannaD Posted 31 Aug 2008 , 12:57am
post #10 of 90

morecakeplz your photos made my heart sink, i cant imagine living in NO and never knowing what was going to happen. We are right outside of Baton Rouge, we'll get a bunch of rain and wind and of course our power will go out, but nothing like that. We have some family thats in the area thats going to stay with us, we're just going to hunker down and "ride it out", good like to all of you and Gods Speed, ill be thinking of yall!

Kim_in_CajunCountry Posted 31 Aug 2008 , 1:32am
post #11 of 90

moreCakePlz: my heart goes out to all of you who lived through Katrina and suffered its effects. If you are still living in the NO area, I'm praying that you are spared. Many of my friends and coworkers suffered the devestating effects of Rita and are still rebuilding. Unfortunately, they are also at risk for more of the same.

We're about 25 miles southeast from Lafayette; 18 miles north of New Iberia, in North St. Martin Parish. We're hunkering down and riding it out. I drove into town earlier and found WalMart closed and boarded up. We spent the entire day storing all loose items that were outdoors. I just finished packing all of our family photos and important documents in Ziploc bags and plastic tubs so that they can be placed in the car or the attic quickly should the need arise. I'll be up late trying to finish doing all the laundry and filling as many containers as possible with water.

Hopefully, it's all for nothing and the only thing I'll have to complain about is putting everything back where it belongs.

Be safe and keep in touch.

To all of you in the projected path, I'll be checking in on this thread as long as we have power. Please keep us updated on your situations, as well.

If I take any interesting photos, you'll find them here.

Kim_in_CajunCountry Posted 31 Aug 2008 , 1:55am
post #12 of 90

Luby, I'm wondering if you've made it to your destination. If you're reading this, please let us know you're OK.

suzylynn58 Posted 31 Aug 2008 , 2:46am
post #13 of 90

We have just about decided we are leaving. Our mandatory evacuation will be implemented at noon sunday. Even tho it is a pain to pack up, the thought of no emergency or medical services makes me very nervous. I guess being in the medical profession does that to me.

I've got all my pics in rubbermaid containers, am going to clean out freezer and fridge, and we've already got everything out of the yard. Other than that will pray for protection over our propery.

Hopefully we can stay in touch as long as we have power.

CakeDiva73 Posted 31 Aug 2008 , 2:50am
post #14 of 90

Just wanted to say I am thinking of you all and you are in my prayers.

Luby Posted 31 Aug 2008 , 2:50am
post #15 of 90

Hey Kim,

Well, I've only changed my mind about 10 times in regards to going to Toledo Bend. My office manager called this afternoon and said the big boss told her to call everyone and tell us that we didn't need to worry about work on Tuesday or Wednesday. If we evacuated then to get back when we could so that really made up my mind. That and the fact that DH decided to stay at Toledo Bend and my friends (whose house I was going to stay at) decided to head to Monroe which meant I would have been at their house all by myself during the storm. At first I considered staying by myself, but then I chickened out icon_lol.gif

It's about 9:45 pm Saturday night and I'm waiting for my niece, her husband, their two kids and my brother to meet me and then we will head out to Toledo Bend. My friend who left for Monroe got on I-49 about 7:00 and at 9:30 they still had not made it to Alexandria. I'm hoping the later we leave the less traffic we will encounter. I'm estimating we should arrive around 2 or 3 in the am.

My thoughts will be with you and your family and all of those who decided to stay. They did say on channel 3 earlier tonight that it would be down to a category 1 when it passed over Lafayette. I hope they are right. I won't have a computer so it will be a few days before I can check in with you guys.

Stay safe and I'll see you after Gustav!

Kim_in_CajunCountry Posted 31 Aug 2008 , 3:04am
post #16 of 90

Thanks for checking in. Glad you've decided to head up to the lake. It's sure to be a much longer trip than usual, but probably the safest thing to do.

Have a safe trip. We'll chat when you return.

Cakepro Posted 31 Aug 2008 , 3:12am
post #17 of 90

My thoughts and prayers are with everyone.

I'm in Houston and I'm nervous too. I sure don't want to have to evacuate - with three teenagers, three huge blue & gold macaws, one sun conure, and two lovebirds in our Suburban.

If Gustav wasn't bad enough, we've got Hannah out there and some other little systems in the Atlantic.

Everyone that prays, please do so!!

Kim_in_CajunCountry Posted 31 Aug 2008 , 3:16am
post #18 of 90

Yes, having Hannah in the picture as well, is quite unnerving. We have family in the Houston/Friendswood area so some of my southwest Louisiana relatives have headed there. Hopefully, Gustav won't follow them there!

Be safe.

Cakepro Posted 31 Aug 2008 , 3:18am
post #19 of 90

I live about 10 minutes from Friendswood. icon_smile.gif

DebBTX Posted 31 Aug 2008 , 3:37am
post #20 of 90

Those of you in southern Louisiana that are thinking about riding out a Cat 4-5 are really worrying me.
My husband and I took a trailer of supplies to Biloxi and Gulfport, MS a few days after Katrina and couldn't believe all the devastation. We had lived there in earlier years, so we still have friends there. Because we knew the towns, we knew exactly what was crushed, washed away, ect. The storm surge was terrible, and left so much ruined. We saw a few bed mattresses stuck 25-30 feet up in trees.
Biloxi said that they had removed enough debris to fill a football field end to end, and 140 stories tall. That is something to think about.

Please be careful. Things can be replaced.

May God protect each one of you along all the many miles and different states of the Gulf Coast.

-Debbie B.

Kim_in_CajunCountry Posted 31 Aug 2008 , 3:42am
post #21 of 90

Thanks for your concern, Debbie. And believe me, if we lived in a coastal parish we'd be long gone. But we feel that we're far enough inland that we should be safe. We'll still get heavy winds and rain, and no doubt we probably lose power, but the storm should be substantially weaker by the time it reaches us.

Hopefully I won't eat my words.

Will keep you updated.

DebBTX Posted 31 Aug 2008 , 4:07am
post #22 of 90

We have a friend, who during Katrina lived over 1 hour north of Gulfport, MS. When we were finally able to check on them, they had made it through the storm okay.
When I asked her how their house did, she said, "Well, the house was doing fine until the tornado hit it. They were inside with 6 kids, pets, extended family, and neighbors. None of them were hurt, but it made an impression on them.

Be safe.
-Debbie B.

ceshell Posted 31 Aug 2008 , 6:15am
post #23 of 90

(((hugs))) to all of our CCers in the path of Gustav, I am so worried about you all and I hope he blows past you all with minimal damage. [group hug!]

DebBTX Posted 31 Aug 2008 , 12:32pm
post #24 of 90

I realize that many of you may lose your electricity for a while, but please let us know as soon as you can, that you are okay.

We will be praying for y'all.

-Debbie B.

Kim_in_CajunCountry Posted 31 Aug 2008 , 2:08pm
post #25 of 90

Doh! I had borrowed a Verizon wireless phone card from work so that I would have internet access on vacation. I should have borrowed it again before leaving Friday so that I would have internet access once the power goes out. Now I'll be stranded with no CC!

I'm definitely getting an iPhone for Christmas so this never happens again!

Suzycakes Posted 31 Aug 2008 , 2:51pm
post #26 of 90

To all of our CC buddies in the past of Gustav -- prayers and love to you and yours for your safety and health. I have been extremely worried about this monster of a storm.

I have very dear friends in Hammond - who rode out Katrina in a warehouse and are planning on doing the same in hopes that the house survives as well this time as last. Although he was boarding the windows this time. I'm not very hurrican savvy - but undoubtedly since they will be on the 'front' side of Gustav where they were on the 'back' side of Katrina - they could have more storm damage and chance of tornados. I tried to get them to come 'home' to me -they are original Missourians - but they want to be able to watch their property from looters (which is a whole other story which totally ticks me off!) --

God's blessings and peace on each of you - check back in with us asap!! We love you all and need you hear on CC!

TheDomesticDiva Posted 31 Aug 2008 , 5:53pm
post #27 of 90

Definately praying for anyone and everyone in the path of this storm!! I hope that anyone who is told to evacuate will actually do so this time, especially since this one is even stronger than Katrina. I just don't understand how people who are told to evacuate just sit and stay, to look after property or whatnot--that's what insurance is for! Just looking back at the devestation of Katrina, all the lives lost there, all because people wouldn't leave, and then the government gets blamed. Well, they're definately trying to cover their butts on this one--they've been making statement after statement begging people to get out. I really hope people are smarter this time. I mean, we can all sit and say I hope it's not that bad--but they are telling us all that it IS going to be that bad, so just be realistic!

And I am praying that anyone riding it out farther inland doesn't get hit too badly. I know it's going to be an insanely scary time for you. An hour inland isnt that far at all, especially if you consider all the terrible things that just happened 3 hours inland in south Georgia just from a little tropical storm.

...I should say, Im not trying to come across as critical in any of this, just SCARED for everyone involved, and can't stress enough that if you are told to get out, then GET OUT. Please post up when you can, or call a friend who can post for you to let someone know how you're doing!!

Cakepro Posted 31 Aug 2008 , 6:43pm
post #28 of 90

You can never really understand that tug of war that happens within yourself until you are actually on the coast and watching a storm churning in the Gulf.

TheDomesticDiva Posted 31 Aug 2008 , 6:56pm
post #29 of 90

I totally understand that it's hard to leave your home behind, since I'm from south Georgia, and we had a vacation home in Panama City Beach Florida, and we ALWAYS got hammered by hurricanes. I have relatives who live on the coast of Texas, and although it's tough to leave your things, you have to remember that they are just things, and thats why you have homeowners insurance. It's not a matter of playing with your family's lives to me. I just really hope people leave this time around!! The state is sending people out on busses, trains and planes, so I don't see any excuse not to get out of New Orleans this time!!

This is so scary that it's happening all over again and things arent even rebuilt from last time!

Curtsmin24 Posted 31 Aug 2008 , 7:00pm
post #30 of 90

Hey all, just here checking up on ya. Iv'e been steadily watching the news and hoping that it disappears or loses strength. I have been checking this post everyday to see how everyone is doing. I'll be lurking around still.

Kim.. I know what you mean about not having cc, but there is a reason for it. Also, how would you keep your computer charged if the power goes out. icon_cry.gif If you have a generator I have got to send you a high five. Just keep safe okay. I'll be checking up on all and praying.

Lots of love, Angela birthday.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%