I Love Fondarific!!!

Decorating By MacsMom Updated 30 Aug 2008 , 10:29pm by FromScratch

MacsMom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MacsMom Posted 29 Aug 2008 , 11:00pm
post #1 of 27

I just opened my 5 lb bucket of BLACK Fondarific.

At first I was intimidated by the huge coating of shortening in the bag, but I took the whole out of the bag, rubbed off excess shorteneing, popped it in the micro for 30 secs and it was SOOO easy to knead!

It's soft but not sticky and it tastes so much better than any other pre-packaged fondant I've tried.

I couldn't stand black SI because it was so crumbly, dried so fast, and dried with matte finish that made it look dull. Sweet Inspirations black was way too soft and sticky.

I haven't let Fondarific dry yet, but I love the ease with which it is to work with so much that I can deal with it if it's also too matte.

JACKIE, HEATH... get some in the store! icon_biggrin.gif

26 replies
sportsmom005 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sportsmom005 Posted 29 Aug 2008 , 11:20pm
post #2 of 27

I got my sample pack but haven't really played yet. I had my son try all the different flavors that came in it when it arrived. The only other fondant he's tried was Wilton (yuck!) and he HATED that. He liked Fondarific's buttercream flavor best.

Happy to hear it tastes good and is easy to work with!

Chrisy

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 30 Aug 2008 , 3:19am
post #3 of 27

I've never found SatinIce to be crumbly.

nattyk Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nattyk Posted 30 Aug 2008 , 3:27am
post #4 of 27

cmyoung5 what do you get in the sample pack?

sportsmom005 Posted 30 Aug 2008 , 12:51pm
post #5 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by nattyk

cmyoung5 what do you get in the sample pack?

It had 5 different flavors: buttercream, vanilla, chocolate, grape, and lemon. I keep meaning to make some sugar cookies to try them out on, but my oven is acting up icon_sad.gif , so it'll have to wait until I get it fixed.

SHogg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SHogg Posted 30 Aug 2008 , 1:22pm
post #6 of 27

I've never heard of Fondarific. Where do you get it? I'd love to try it!

JP Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JP Posted 30 Aug 2008 , 1:23pm
post #7 of 27

I did a quick search to find out where to buy Fondariffic, but I couldn't find a supplier. Can anyone suggest where I can get some?

Claricakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Claricakes Posted 30 Aug 2008 , 1:39pm
post #8 of 27

You can go to www.fonderific.com and order away.
I have tried the buttercreme and cherry (RED) it is AWESOME!!!! They are brilliant and I think fondant would be great for cupcakes and cookies. Maybe small cakes since they come in small amounts.
Just my opinion. ; )

Claricakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Claricakes Posted 30 Aug 2008 , 1:41pm
post #9 of 27

Sorry I misspelled : (
www.fondarific.com

jibbies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jibbies Posted 30 Aug 2008 , 1:44pm
post #10 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by Claricakes

You can go to www.fonderific.com and order away.
I have tried the buttercreme and cherry (RED) it is AWESOME!!!! They are brilliant and I think fondant would be great for cupcakes and cookies. Maybe small cakes since they come in small amounts.
Just my opinion. ; )

I clicked on your link and the site that came up sells countertops. Am I missing something icon_confused.gif

Jibbies

FromScratch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FromScratch Posted 30 Aug 2008 , 1:59pm
post #11 of 27

I think it's a neat concept.. and the flavors are good.. on their own.. but when you pair them with cake they can be odd. You really have to design your cake around the flavor of the fondant. The fruity ones anyway. If you have a chocolate cake.. and you want to cover it in green fondant.. well melon and chocolate don't pair so nicely.. it defeats the purpose of pre-colored fondant IMHO (unless you have a cake that pairs well with melon because if you want it to be a nice neutral covering.. you have to color their vanilla or buttercream fondant. The buttercream fondant was okay, but the colored ones.. no thanks. Too much flavor.. I want a fondant that will blend in with the cake I make.. not stick compete with it.

I have had the same problem with satin ice being crumbly. Not always, but some batches are just not good.

Joanne914 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Joanne914 Posted 30 Aug 2008 , 2:04pm
post #12 of 27

question for those that have tried this: If I want to roll small polka dots of
yellow (lemon) into red background (cherry) will those two fondant "flavors"
taste weird? I did go to the website and I am thinking of ordering the sample pack...but would like your feedback first on "mixing" of the flavors.
Thanks!

jibbies Posted 30 Aug 2008 , 2:07pm
post #13 of 27

Your repost came up after my post. I found it. I'm always looking for new things. Thanks for the link.

Jibbies

TheCakerator Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TheCakerator Posted 30 Aug 2008 , 2:11pm
post #14 of 27

is the sample pack something you order off of their site? I can't seem to find it ..

woodthi32 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
woodthi32 Posted 30 Aug 2008 , 2:16pm
post #15 of 27

It BETTER be good! I don't make enough cakes to buy in bulk, and retail on this stuff is high!
IS IT WORTH IT?
I have only liked the taste of MMF, but found it sticky or easy to tear when it was soft, and I need soft! It became overworked easily and changed texture with color...........I just hate the hard stuff................HATE working with it.
So, Is the worth the cost? Is it that good?

Joanne914 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Joanne914 Posted 30 Aug 2008 , 2:27pm
post #16 of 27

TheCakerator...go to the "shopping cart" area of the website. The "sample pack" is the last offered item.

ruthberry Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ruthberry Posted 30 Aug 2008 , 2:30pm
post #17 of 27

okay, I just ordered the buttercream and the chocolate based on the posts on this site! I hope it's good.

I've had a lot of problems with satin ice. it tastes good, but it was crumbly. maybe it has something to do with the weather...?

nickshalfpint Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nickshalfpint Posted 30 Aug 2008 , 2:31pm
post #18 of 27

I think lemon and cherry would taste good together, kinda like cherry lemonade. But I've never tried these fondant flavors, so I'm not sure. Hopefully someone who has tried them can help =)

sportsmom005 Posted 30 Aug 2008 , 2:34pm
post #19 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkalman

I think it's a neat concept.. and the flavors are good.. on their own.. but when you pair them with cake they can be odd. You really have to design your cake around the flavor of the fondant. The fruity ones anyway. If you have a chocolate cake.. and you want to cover it in green fondant.. well melon and chocolate don't pair so nicely.. it defeats the purpose of pre-colored fondant IMHO (unless you have a cake that pairs well with melon because if you want it to be a nice neutral covering.. you have to color their vanilla or buttercream fondant. The buttercream fondant was okay, but the colored ones.. no thanks. Too much flavor.. I want a fondant that will blend in with the cake I make.. not stick compete with it.

I have had the same problem with satin ice being crumbly. Not always, but some batches are just not good.

I thought they offered their buttercream and vanilla flavors in a variety of colors, such as red, blue, yellow, green, and black.
Then you wouldn't have to worry about the flavors competing with the flavor of the cake.

But some of the flavors may make interesting combinations. The lemon on a sugar cookie sounds yummy, and I do find myself wondering how the chocolate cherry flavor would taste with chocolate cake.

jibbies Posted 30 Aug 2008 , 2:44pm
post #20 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCakerator

is the sample pack something you order off of their site? I can't seem to find it ..

Click on the shopping cart tab, it will be the last item.

Jibbies

ruthberry Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ruthberry Posted 30 Aug 2008 , 2:45pm
post #21 of 27

ohmy. now I see how it works. you click on the shopping cart first, then you click on the colored dots under the buttercream or vanilla flavors. that's pretty neat. a little unusual, but I figured it out!

I got the white buttercream, the chocolate and the sample pak.

wjmonte Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
wjmonte Posted 30 Aug 2008 , 4:13pm
post #22 of 27

I hope you guys have better luck with it than i did, I found it INCREDIBLY hard to work with. I used the buttercream and dyed it pale pale pink, it was so soft and sicky and tore to pieces when I tried to cover a 9 inch round cake with it. It stuck to my blue mat even with cornstarch or shortening, I tried both.
Also, the flavor was "off" it tastes good by itself but paired with wasc it really wasnt that good. Could be I compared it to my own BC icing and it wasnt. I bought the blue and pink from convention and will ONLY use them for maybe cookies, still havent tried that yet though.

For the price, I dont think its worth it for anything other very small jobs, accents, cookies etc.

As for SI, I have NEVER had a crumby bucket, if anything its soft and I gotta add cornstarch to it. Only time I get crumby pieces is if it dries out. You do need to knead it very well before you use it though.

TheCakerator Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TheCakerator Posted 30 Aug 2008 , 4:29pm
post #23 of 27

thanks you guys!

tonedna Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tonedna Posted 30 Aug 2008 , 4:37pm
post #24 of 27

I did tried the flavors once, but never used it, I never had any issues with Satin Ice, is never crumbled up on me so I never thought of finding a new company.

Is it more expensive than SI?
Edna

Bossy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bossy Posted 30 Aug 2008 , 4:39pm
post #25 of 27

Jesters sells Fondariffic!
http://www.fondantsource.com/fondant.html
I tried the butter cream at ICES and it was delish! Have not worked with it yet.

mellormom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mellormom Posted 30 Aug 2008 , 4:46pm
post #26 of 27

We got samples of it at our last meeting. They were little lady bugs on top of a leaf. By the time our meeting was over the fondant was so soft that the lady bug and leaf almost looked melted. Most people at the meeting were not that overly thrilled about what they tasted. They liked the flavors but thought it would be really hard to pair up with cakes.
JMHO
Jen...

FromScratch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FromScratch Posted 30 Aug 2008 , 10:29pm
post #27 of 27

I only tasted a couple of the flavors.. I do see that you can get it in colors in the non-fruity flavors on their site though. I like making my own.. or I'll use Choco-Pan or Massa if I have to buy it. To me it wasn't spectacular so if I'm going to spend $30 for a 5lb tub of fondant.. it's going to be a good one.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%