Royal Icing ...need Help

Baking By Pearl70 Updated 1 Sep 2008 , 1:31pm by Joanne914

Pearl70 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Pearl70 Posted 29 Aug 2008 , 10:40pm
post #1 of 13

i am going to attempt royal icing on my cookies, can someone tell me how long the unused can be stored? and what recipe you is good to work with?

12 replies
Pearl70 Posted 29 Aug 2008 , 10:51pm
post #2 of 13

bump

Pearl70 Posted 30 Aug 2008 , 1:10am
post #3 of 13

someone please help me...please..please.......please

Joanne914 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Joanne914 Posted 30 Aug 2008 , 1:46pm
post #4 of 13

Hi Pearl,

I use royal icing all the time, so maybe I can help you. I always use Antonia's recipe here on CC. Just go to the recipe section and you will find it.
It works GREAT every time. As far as how long it will keep....I have saved it, covered in a plastic container on my kitchen counter for a week or more, and it is still good to go! icon_smile.gif Just give it a really good stir before you reuse it, and it still works out great! If you have any problems or questions, feel free to send me a PM and I will be happy to help! I can't wait to see your finished cookies! Happy Baking!

Joanne

Pearl70 Posted 30 Aug 2008 , 3:10pm
post #5 of 13

thank you for the help, i will let you know next week

TracyLH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TracyLH Posted 31 Aug 2008 , 3:24pm
post #6 of 13

I give a big thumbs-up to Antonia74's RI recipe and I couldn't do my cookies without it. Toba Garrett's RI recipe is popular on this site too and kneadacookie gets phenomenal results with it. Here is a link to both:

http://www.cakecentral.com/cak.....Icing.html
http://www.cakecentral.com/cak.....Icing.html

As for storing it, I am only used to Antonia74's recipe and she wrote that it will keep for weeks if well stored (not refrigerated).

Pearl70 Posted 31 Aug 2008 , 7:46pm
post #7 of 13

here are my results, pretty happy with results.
LL

Joanne914 Posted 31 Aug 2008 , 8:34pm
post #8 of 13

Those look GREAT Pearl! icon_smile.gif

deetmar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
deetmar Posted 31 Aug 2008 , 9:01pm
post #9 of 13

I have a problem finding quality meringue powder. The only thing I have found around here is Wilton's. So... I have to use a RI that doesn't have meringue powder in it.

Homemade-Goodies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Homemade-Goodies Posted 31 Aug 2008 , 9:33pm
post #10 of 13

deetmar, you can make RI from pasteurized egg whites, but I don't think you can plan on leftovers lasting as long as with the meringue powder. There are other variations of RI, if you Google for them.

I used Peggy Porschen's RI recipe, without egg whites or meringue powder, only using lemon juice...I wouldn't recommend that. It remained very airy & brittle.

Pearl70...your cookies turned out wonderful! I love mixing the colors for the autumn colors...I'll swipe that idea from you one day. thumbs_up.gif

Pearl70 Posted 31 Aug 2008 , 11:31pm
post #11 of 13

thanks everyone,
here is what i used...
1 lb of powder sugar,
3 tbls. meringue powder
approx. 1 tsp margerine
approx 6 tablespoons water
1 tbls Almond extract
it taste like the almond instead of sugar, dried really nice.

Homemade-Goodies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Homemade-Goodies Posted 1 Sep 2008 , 5:26am
post #12 of 13

Thanks for the recipe Pearl70 - using the margarine intrigues me, I'll have to try that. icon_biggrin.gif

Joanne914 Posted 1 Sep 2008 , 1:31pm
post #13 of 13

I've also put a "plop" of margarine into my RI once in awhile depending on what I'm making. If it's a very detailed cookie, I don't put it in, but if I'm just making basic shapes and filling them in, then I'll go ahead and add some.
The margarine makes the RI "softer" but just a warning...it does take longer to dry completely. It will "look" dry, but is definitely soft on the inside. Just a variation to try once in awhile.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%