Water Cube Cake

Decorating By loopyma Updated 6 Sep 2008 , 12:32am by emccle

loopyma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
loopyma Posted 29 Aug 2008 , 10:01pm
post #1 of 6

My son is turning 10 and is enamoured with Michael Phelps. We are doing an Olympic theme for his birthday party and I want to make a cake that looks similar to The Water Cube. I am convinced that someone has already baked a 100 of these, but I can't seem to find them! I would love some ideas and help to achieve this...can't afford an Ace of Cake cake. icon_surprised.gif

I have two weeks, tops to accomplish! Help!

5 replies
woodthi32 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
woodthi32 Posted 29 Aug 2008 , 10:12pm
post #2 of 6

hmmmmmmmmmmmmm, I need a pic!

grama_j Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
grama_j Posted 29 Aug 2008 , 10:16pm
post #3 of 6

I just put "water Cube" in Google, and I'm thinking it wouldn't be that hard to do...... do you have the cobblestone impression mat ? that could make your "bubble" look......

Melody25 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Melody25 Posted 29 Aug 2008 , 10:20pm
post #4 of 6

I would do a square cake and then frost it in that neon- teal blue. Then do a search for different angles of the building. There's a ton of different pictures if you do a yahoo search. Heres the link to the texture of the building
http://www.flickr.com/photos/ludongping/2269500086/

You could pipe it in a darker blue.

Here's a scale model of the building you can see the details on the top and side

http://www.flickr.com/photos/pollyche/2462095734/

ETA: Yes! The cobblestone impression mat would work wonderfully!

loopyma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
loopyma Posted 6 Sep 2008 , 12:21am
post #5 of 6

Thank you so much "grama_j" and "Melody 25" - the ideas are very helpful. The impression mat will do the trick! I had everything thrown at me from marshmallows to small cupcakes. This will make things so much easier! I will let you two know how the cake turns out!

Thanks again!

emccle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%