Spin Off Of The Scroll Border Thread

Decorating By lasvegasmommma Updated 30 Aug 2008 , 12:20pm by kmoores

lasvegasmommma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lasvegasmommma Posted 29 Aug 2008 , 9:05pm
post #1 of 5

So... was looking on that website, and these two really caught my eye. Does anyone have any idea how they did those ruffles? I am assuming it is fondant or gumpaste? So pretty!

Also... I love the border around the top of the heart cake. It looks like a tool used on fondant or something??? Anyone know?
LL
LL

4 replies
kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 29 Aug 2008 , 9:25pm
post #2 of 5

The 'border' on the heart cake is done w/a crimping tool. It's somewhat like a pr of tweezers and you pinch the fondant between the ends.
The ruffle border is just a strip of fondant w/one side ruffled by rolling a toothpick on the edge. In the pic they used two - one blue, and the white one on top of that.

lasvegasmommma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lasvegasmommma Posted 30 Aug 2008 , 1:03am
post #3 of 5

Thank you! Those ruffles are really done just with a toothpick? They look so delicate. And, I HAVE to find that crimping tool!

armywifebryan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
armywifebryan Posted 30 Aug 2008 , 5:12am
post #4 of 5

I have been waiting for a chance to buy a crimping tool. There are sooo many different designs, but I haven't had a use for any yet. I would have to explain to the hubby as to why I bought a tool that I don't really need. If I use it on an actual cake that is one thing, but to go out and buy it just to "play" is a whole other story. lol And yup, just a toothpick. And I can just hear the hubby..."If you can do that with a toothpick then why can't you find something else cheap around the house to do the crimping thing?????" Guess I will just have to butter him up this weekend. lol

Teresa

kmoores Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kmoores Posted 30 Aug 2008 , 12:20pm
post #5 of 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by armywifebryan

I have been waiting for a chance to buy a crimping tool. There are sooo many different designs, but I haven't had a use for any yet. I would have to explain to the hubby as to why I bought a tool that I don't really need. If I use it on an actual cake that is one thing, but to go out and buy it just to "play" is a whole other story. lol And yup, just a toothpick. And I can just hear the hubby..."If you can do that with a toothpick then why can't you find something else cheap around the house to do the crimping thing?????" Guess I will just have to butter him up this weekend. lol

Teresa

Haha! See I buy it and when he asks I tell him I needed it for x cake. No more questions!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%