I Am At A Loss... First Contest, No Theme.

Decorating By CharmingConfections Updated 31 Aug 2008 , 7:46pm by justgale

CharmingConfections Posted 29 Aug 2008 , 7:36pm
post #1 of 7

I'm entering my first cake contest at the state fair this next week. There is no theme, it just says "create a beatifully decorated cake". How am I supposed to decide what to make? I've never been to a contest so maybe some of you have ideas of what people do for these. I don't want to be like way off base. Thanks!

6 replies
mixinvixen Posted 29 Aug 2008 , 7:53pm
post #2 of 7

how can you be off base when no "base" has been set?

this is your chance to shine...open the little flaps, step out of the box, and show the world who you really are! what do you love? what have you seen on here/internet that really inspires you? whats your favorite thing to do cakewise, and in general? what is your style..ie traditional, bridal, french, girly, island, stringwork, fondant, strictly buttercreme, fondant figures, gelatin, roses, etc.

seriously, the sky is the limit here...go for it!!!!!!!

starla

kakeladi Posted 29 Aug 2008 , 8:37pm
post #3 of 7

Oh I definately agree w/mixinvixen icon_smile.gif
Scan thru the pix in the galleries and find one that really inspires you. Don't do some way off beyond you abilities thing, but a really beautiful idea that you can do **really!** well.
Yes, stretch yourself some, but don't make it too hard eithericon_smile.gif

msauer Posted 29 Aug 2008 , 11:50pm
post #4 of 7

I agree with everyone else about doing something you like and are comfortable with. Don't forget...you can always re-do something you've already done...maybe even a little better. For instance, I love your pink and brown wedding cake...and so do 77 other decorators on this site. That is a pretty big compliment. Remember, what you think is old hat is still rather new to the tons of people who don't lay on cake central all day (ahem...ME!) and see incredible works of art on a daily basis. I'm not at all saying that particular cake needs any work- its gorgeous...but I am sure you (like so many of us) are your own worst critic and could find something you could do better next time. (Am I making sense without being offensive?)

-Michelle

ps- good luck and let us know what you end up doing...I'd love to see it!

CharmingConfections Posted 30 Aug 2008 , 7:14pm
post #5 of 7

Thanks guys! I was so stressed about it, I forgot to look at it as a great oppurtunity! For once... I can do whatever I want - no input from anyone icon_smile.gif I think I am liking the sound of that !

Price Posted 30 Aug 2008 , 7:44pm
post #6 of 7

why not try something with your State's theme? what is your state flower, flag, what is your State best known for? I would think that would work great for a fair.

justgale Posted 31 Aug 2008 , 7:46pm
post #7 of 7

Personaly I love your Elmo cake. It looks very impressive and not your average person can come close to pulling off a cake like that. When I think of Washington I think of apples and strawberries. Maybe you could do something along the fair theme. A display of quilts, produce, and other things that are shown at the fair. Or the midway, diffrent rides and games that everyone always spends their money on. There is always the great fair food too. Footlong hot dogs, corn on the cob, funnel cakes, cotton candy that kind of thing. Maybe a tier cake with some of the diffrent elements on each layer. Just kicking out some ideas here. Good luck with whatever you decide.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%