Help Help Help...sliding Cake Board

Decorating By hallfamily727 Updated 29 Aug 2008 , 9:52pm by hallfamily727

hallfamily727 Posted 29 Aug 2008 , 6:15pm
post #1 of 17

Oh, plz help! I make a 11x14 sheet cake due tonight for an Iowa Rock-n-Roll Hall of Fame inductee. I have it on the cake board, but made a second board (for presentation) covered in paper with music notes all over it. I then covered that board with food-safe shrink wrap stuff. The cake board that the actual cake is on is the Wilton cardboard ones. I put a blob of buttercream on the presentation board before laying the cake on it, but it's still sliding a bit. This cake has to travel a good 4 hours tomorrow morning. HELP!

What do I do???

16 replies
Bettycrockermommy Posted 29 Aug 2008 , 6:23pm
post #2 of 17

I would secure the board to the presentation board with royal icing. It dries as hard as a rock.

HTH,
Vicki

smbegg Posted 29 Aug 2008 , 6:31pm
post #3 of 17

I use the rubber in slip mats for kitchen. They work great!

Stepahanie

MacsMom Posted 29 Aug 2008 , 6:36pm
post #4 of 17

Ditto on the rubber mats - I use them all the time for transporting cakes icon_smile.gif

Hey! I think this marks my 1000th post icon_biggrin.gif !

StephW Posted 29 Aug 2008 , 6:38pm
post #5 of 17

If I understand correctly, you have two boards that need to stick together. I would use alot of heavy duty double-sided tape between the two.

snowqueen93 Posted 29 Aug 2008 , 6:38pm
post #6 of 17

Agreed 100% Use non stick/non slip matting. I go through so much of that stuff. I put it between the cake board and the cake box and then between the cake box and the floor of the cargo area of the SUV.

Mike1394 Posted 29 Aug 2008 , 6:50pm
post #7 of 17

psssst a dot of corn syrup

Mike

DesignsByMandie Posted 29 Aug 2008 , 6:57pm
post #8 of 17

I agree with the non slip shelf liner...I buy it by the role at the dollar store...It is like 5ft by 1ft and its a buck!!!! I also use it under the board on the turntable while I am decorating and like snowqueen93 I use it in the van when transporting as well as in every box that someone picks up...It is the BEST....Good Luck...HTH icon_smile.gif

amoos Posted 29 Aug 2008 , 7:06pm
post #9 of 17

Guess I'm the "redneck" of the buch. I use DUCT TAPE!

If you can't duct it......well, you know the rest icon_smile.gif

hallfamily727 Posted 29 Aug 2008 , 7:07pm
post #10 of 17

Thank you thank you thank you!!

marccrand Posted 29 Aug 2008 , 7:13pm
post #11 of 17

I always use shelf liner for transportation. I would probably cut it down so you can't see it and put it between the two boards for presentation as well. Unless you need them stuck together.

As cake decorators we use icing as glue, but remember that buttercream is made of BUTTER and SHORTENING! It will never hold together 2 boards without sliding. Especially once it's covered in shrinkwrap, foil, contact paper or other non-breathable material.

You could use RI or something. But since it won't come in contact with the cake you can use just about anything, edible or not.

marccrand Posted 29 Aug 2008 , 7:19pm
post #12 of 17

I grew up in Sioux City and make annual trips there and to Des Moines. Where are you?

indydebi Posted 29 Aug 2008 , 9:01pm
post #13 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by amoos

Me, too, darlin'!!

After cutting a wedding cake, I was removing the cardboard from the cake stand and a guy standing there was laughing because the cardboard was duct taped down!

I told him my two hard-fast philosophies in life: "If you can't duct tape it, it ain't worth fixin' .... and if chicken soup don't cure ya, then you're just gonna die!"

SharonK1973 Posted 29 Aug 2008 , 9:07pm
post #14 of 17

I use tape too. Never had a problem with a sliding cake with the tape. Duct tape, packaging tape, two sided tape, any tape that will stick!

jules1719 Posted 29 Aug 2008 , 9:16pm
post #15 of 17

I realize this may not help you now, but get yourself some Sure-Stik floral adhesive or similar. The stuff is invaluable for sticking two non-food surfaces together.

It's like a green putty. It's the best.

hallfamily727 Posted 29 Aug 2008 , 9:48pm
post #16 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by marccrand

I grew up in Sioux City and make annual trips there and to Des Moines. Where are you?

LOL! I AM in Sioux City! How cool is that? Most ppl have no idea where that is located.

hallfamily727 Posted 29 Aug 2008 , 9:52pm
post #17 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by amoos

Hey, I've used it, too....I just couldn't find it today! I think the hubby stole it to use @ work today...darn him!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%