How Much Would You Charge For This Request?!

Decorating By sweetneice Updated 30 Aug 2008 , 5:25am by armywifebryan

sweetneice Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetneice Posted 29 Aug 2008 , 2:30pm
post #1 of 9

Hey guys! I just received a request for a nascar shaped cake with a woman on top in her wedding dress and a guy beside the car with a jack in his hand for a shower cake. I know I'm going to have to use fondant/gumpaste and it's for 25 people, and I was thinking of charging around $150. Is that unreasonable or should it be more. My DH says, that's alot of work and you should charge at least $225! I like the idea but I don't want to be unreasonably high. Maybe I'm being shy on the cost, but he's right, it is alot of work. What would you charge? Help! icon_confused.gif

8 replies
armywifebryan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
armywifebryan Posted 29 Aug 2008 , 3:37pm
post #2 of 9

Well, serving wise I would charge $90, but yeah that is a lot of work. I agree it should be more then that. I can't see myself getting more then $100 around here for something like that. I have had experience is doing some vehicles so it wouldn't take me too ong to get the job done, but it would still be a lot of work. Not sure what you could get in your area. Good luck. Keep us posted!

Teresa

iamlis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
iamlis Posted 29 Aug 2008 , 4:00pm
post #3 of 9

You know at some point, people's design HAS to dictate the price. That is A LOT of work, and time and ingredients. You have to discuss pricing first before making the cake, and I would probably try to put the customer into this stratosphere by saying, "I can make you this custom cake starting around $150.00" So they at least know the price range..Does that make sence?? Honestly, they can't go to Costco or any old place to get a ckae like that, and will HAVE To pay to get it icon_smile.gif

FromScratch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FromScratch Posted 29 Aug 2008 , 4:06pm
post #4 of 9

I won't touch a carved cake like that for less than $250. The #of servings they require doesn't really factor in in a carved cake like this either. Making a teeny car that would feed 25 people wouldn't be easy or pleasing to look at (or work on). Not to mention the figures.. I'd charge $300-$400 for all of that work.

sweetcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetcakes Posted 29 Aug 2008 , 4:07pm
post #5 of 9

sounds like youd be making the bride and groom too, cause where are they going to get those in the right pose anyway. if thats the case then you need to price higher, making people in fondant are tricky and time consuming, not to mention frustrating getting them right!

sweetneice Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetneice Posted 29 Aug 2008 , 5:36pm
post #6 of 9

Thanks you guys! I'm looking at telling her it starts at $175, with adding fondant people for and addtional $55. Not mention the delivery charge of $40. It's custom so, you have to pay custom price. I need to quit being a scaredy cat and price accordingly, but I just hate losing a sale. But then again If I'm not getting anything out of it, I've worked hard for nothing anyway.

grossoutqueen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
grossoutqueen Posted 29 Aug 2008 , 6:24pm
post #7 of 9

I was thinking the same thing. If you lose a sale that is one thing...If you put your time and supplies into a cake and you don't make enough money for it, that is when you are really out of something.

iamlis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
iamlis Posted 29 Aug 2008 , 6:29pm
post #8 of 9

Oh don't feel bad, it takes finding your customer base...then you can choose your customers!

armywifebryan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
armywifebryan Posted 30 Aug 2008 , 5:25am
post #9 of 9

Yeah, I guess I need to get over the scaredy cat syndrome too! I just know around here, I probably won't get that many orders for the custom cakes that I LOVE to do!! It always helps to hear what other people would charge though. It makes me realize I am WAY underpricing myself and need to step it up a bit! Thanks guys!!!

Teresa

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%