Fbct Problem Fix Asap

Decorating By weberm05 Updated 29 Aug 2008 , 8:08pm by marccrand

weberm05 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
weberm05 Posted 29 Aug 2008 , 2:01pm
post #1 of 5

I did FBCT before and didn't have problems. It's been well over a year and just did another one today. I'm doing a cake for a local fair....I did a cow, horse, pumpkins, and a ferris wheel.....and everyone got messed up when I tried to pull the wax paper off of it. Half the icing stuck to the wax paper and everything else. It was frozen for about 20 hours.

Does anyone know what happened. I have a very short amount of time to fix it. Did I not make the transfers thick enough maybe?????

Any input would be appreciated.

Thanks

Molly

4 replies
tamrick Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tamrick Posted 29 Aug 2008 , 2:16pm
post #2 of 5

Did you use all butter in your buttercream? I use to use half butter and half shortening, till the same thing happened to me, then I switched to all butter. Not sure if that helps any, but it will give you a bump!

weberm05 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
weberm05 Posted 29 Aug 2008 , 2:27pm
post #3 of 5

I use all crisco....the funny thing is it worked twice before and I didn't have a problem. I figured it was a while since i did one..maybe I forgot something icon_sad.gif

abslu Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
abslu Posted 29 Aug 2008 , 6:24pm
post #4 of 5

That's happened to me before, and I do believe it was because the transfer was thin. I froze it for almost 24 hours but it still had issues. I use Buttercream Dream for my transfers (half butter half crisco) and sometimes I coat the waxed paper with crisco before starting my transfer. But I do put an extra layer of buttercream on the back of my transfer just to make sure it won't break to easily. Good luck, I hope you can fix your transfer. Sounds like alot of detail!

marccrand Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
marccrand Posted 29 Aug 2008 , 8:08pm
post #5 of 5

I've always used 50% butter 50% shortening, don't think I would attempt all shortening if freezing is an integral part of the process. But if it's worked before...

The thickness is a tough call. The thicker the better as far as I'm concerned and it's much easier to handle. But then you have a big blob on your cake you have to try to hide!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%