Help!! Look..tell Me-What Does This Cake Need?!?!?

Decorating By lilmansmum Updated 3 Sep 2008 , 6:31am by HipnotiqGlamour

lilmansmum Posted 29 Aug 2008 , 12:24pm
post #1 of 39

Okay, I can't figure out what else, if anything, this cake needs. I am going to add a couple of those little cups with red buttercream "ketchup" to go with the fries. I was trying to decide if the hotdog needs any more "toppings"....My hubby says no, leave it alone, that would be overkill. He says "step away from the cake." lol What do you think????
LL

38 replies
peg818 Posted 29 Aug 2008 , 12:42pm
post #2 of 39

maybe drizzle some ketchup on the fries? Or as you stated a cup with ketchup and maybe put a fry in that

candee2300 Posted 29 Aug 2008 , 12:49pm
post #3 of 39

It looks great! I wouldn't add a thing

Rexy Posted 29 Aug 2008 , 12:50pm
post #4 of 39

YOu did a great job! I agree to put some ketchup on the board with a few fries in it. Maybe make the fries a less organized, pile some up on one side, messy-like.

luv2cake Posted 29 Aug 2008 , 12:50pm
post #5 of 39

I agree with your husband. I don't think it needs anything else. Looks good to me.

Rebelady Posted 29 Aug 2008 , 12:53pm
post #6 of 39

I think it's great!! I think the only thing that is throwing it off is that the color of the fries sort of blend into the cakeboard. I don't know if that is just how it is photographing or if that is the true color? Maybe you could darken or "crisp" up the fries somehow. I love the idea of the ketchup cups!! I agree with your Hubby, no more toppings. Hope this helps. Beautiful cake. Very Well Done!! thumbs_up.gif

kmoores Posted 29 Aug 2008 , 1:00pm
post #7 of 39

sesame seeds on the bun?

lflowermoon Posted 29 Aug 2008 , 1:00pm
post #8 of 39

It needs some green, to add variety . Use the rose tip to make ruffles that resemble lettuce.

dinas27 Posted 29 Aug 2008 , 1:04pm
post #9 of 39

I think it looks great.. the ketchup will definately add to it.

The only thing that I would maybe add to is the bun, maybe a few sesame seeds sprinkled on top? Or ligher color buttercream on the inside, like a cut bun?

Looks yummy - thats the kind of hot dog I like. icon_lol.gif

anikkim0915 Posted 29 Aug 2008 , 1:07pm
post #10 of 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by lflowermoon

It needs some green, to add variety . Use the rose tip to make ruffles that resemble lettuce.

I agree that is needs something a little more... Maybe some pickle relishicon_smile.gif

kansaslaura Posted 29 Aug 2008 , 1:07pm
post #11 of 39

If it's possible, I'd pick up the fries and put something under them to resemble a little paper basket or plate--maybe a napkin. Something with a contrast of color to make them stand out. It's the white surface that is making it look off, not your cake. I think if you gathered the fries more into a pile on a colored surface it would really make it awesome!

Good job. thumbs_up.gif

missnyc Posted 29 Aug 2008 , 1:11pm
post #12 of 39

Great Cake! I agree with the sesame seed idea or maybe use a cocktail stick/toothpick to make indentations in the bun for texture. Would also maybe add a little colour to the fries. icon_smile.gif

2sdae Posted 29 Aug 2008 , 1:13pm
post #13 of 39

maybe some green relish on hot dog,maybe seeds on buns, blob of ketchup next to fries maybe on some, sugar sprinkles around fries simulating salt....or a packet of ketchup in fondant even instead of or in addition to the ketchup on the fries.

debster Posted 29 Aug 2008 , 1:22pm
post #14 of 39

I agree it needs some green either pickles or relish and it's the board. Excellent job BTW, Tell us how did you shape the bun and hot dog?

KASCARLETT Posted 29 Aug 2008 , 1:23pm
post #15 of 39

I agree with the green pickle relish. Just a little though. And a little ketchup on the fries or just the little cup with a few fries sticking in it.

liapsim Posted 29 Aug 2008 , 1:24pm
post #16 of 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by lflowermoon

No don't do lettuce if you choose this idea....do relish!

sweetcakes Posted 29 Aug 2008 , 1:26pm
post #17 of 39

i agree it is a great cake and this is certainly a case where an airbrush would help you out. i think i would suggest that the mustard and ketchup drizzled on the hotdog be a little more free flowing, so it looks like it ran and look thicker.

lflowermoon Posted 29 Aug 2008 , 1:33pm
post #18 of 39

sesame seeds, and definately some green!

sweetisome Posted 29 Aug 2008 , 1:33pm
post #19 of 39

I think that the sesame seeds would be a great addition, it will help break up the bun a bit, also a big pickle spear for some green (or relish on the dog) is a good idea. But mostly your idea of ketchup is great! But for sure you need to maybe pile up the fries into a ....well a pile, and let them look less "arranged", someone suggested maybe into a basket or on a paper. "Crisping" them too would be a nice touch. All in all though, GREAT CAKE! Whoever gets this one is in for a treat!

MicahS Posted 29 Aug 2008 , 1:34pm
post #20 of 39

I'm late to the post, but this is what I'd do. . . .

Get colored napkins - the red and white or blue and white picnic checks would be perfect (anything but pure white). If you can remove the cake from the board, I would. Then I'd recover the board in the checkered or colored napkins and cover that with waxed paper. If you cannot, crumple up some of the napkins around the hotdog like it has been wrapped in them (you could use aluminum foil alternately).

Pile the fries around a ketchup cup and make sure some of them have already been "dipped" to add more color. If you haven't been able to recover the cake board, Place them on a crupled up napkin or foil square.

The cake is very well done. Around here they do Chicago style that have this bright bright green relish - adding green might help, But I think it really isn't the cake so much as the cake board. The cake looks very well executed to me. The white board just swallows up the fries and makes the cake look "plain" even though it isn't.

lflowermoon Posted 29 Aug 2008 , 1:35pm
post #21 of 39

The seeds will give a tridimensional look, and the green will make the plate less visually flat

lilmansmum Posted 29 Aug 2008 , 1:40pm
post #22 of 39

WOW! Thanks everyone for the great (and fast) input.

I was thinking of adding some little green pieces to simulate pickles or pickle relish, but my hubby said that wasn't a good idea. lol What does he know? I like the idea of some green though, so I may do that. I like the idea of something else on the bun, like sesame seeds, to kinda break up the look of the bun, but I don't usually see sesame seeds on hotdog buns....so I thought that might be odd looking.

I'll work on rearranging the fry pile once I get my little ketchup cups filled. I think that will help brighten up the look of the board. I think maybe I'll get some red napikins to put the fries on too.

For those of you who asked, I stacked two 13x9 cakes and carved them into the bun shape. The hotdog (weiner...I hate that word...lol) was also a long piece of cake that I wrapped in fondant.

Thanks for all your compliments, tips, and ideas!

Oh and yeah, this is a cake where an airbrush would have been a HUGE help! Now maybe I have a reason to purchase one!

Atomikjen Posted 29 Aug 2008 , 1:48pm
post #23 of 39

could you "brown" some of the fries on the edges? Like a thinned color and dry brush on some "burnt" parts.

pianocat Posted 29 Aug 2008 , 2:09pm
post #24 of 39

The idea of arranging the fries in a pile on a napkin is good, and cripsing them up too. What about a Ketchup packet that's open and some spilling out onto the napkin? The cup would also work of course. Very well done though!

Bettycrockermommy Posted 29 Aug 2008 , 3:14pm
post #25 of 39

I don't have any other suggestions to add to what the PPs have said. I just wanted to say that is an awesome cake.

AmyGonzalez Posted 29 Aug 2008 , 4:08pm
post #26 of 39

It would have been cool if you would have decorated the cake board, maybe with a red/white tablecloth. Definitly agree with most, needs relish, and the fries need to be in a different position.... to one side in a pile and ketchup. Great job on the hot dog! thumbs_up.gif

lilmansmum Posted 29 Aug 2008 , 6:29pm
post #27 of 39

Thanks everyone for all your great ideas. I have "browned" my fries up to make them look more realistic, and I think they look really great now. I also added some green for pickles/relish. I think that helped too. Once I add the ketchup, I will post a pic of the finished product. I think it looks a lot better already!

Tashablueyes Posted 29 Aug 2008 , 9:14pm
post #28 of 39

I immediately thought pickles or relish too, it needs a complimentary color to balance it. Very cute!

lilmansmum Posted 1 Sep 2008 , 11:12pm
post #29 of 39

I finished the cake on Friday, delivered it, and it was a hit!

I took the great advice from everyone and added some green chunks (haha) for pickles/relish.

I also browned up the fries some food coloring, to make them look "cooked." And I put the fries in piles on some napkins. I think all the changes really improved the appearance of the cake.

Next time, I will cover the board in something different. I think that would have helped.

Thanks for all the advice everyone!

You can see the pictures in my photos section. I'll also post a pic here. Here's the link to the one in my photos:

http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1261188
LL

acookieobsession Posted 1 Sep 2008 , 11:33pm
post #30 of 39

Now those fries look completely real! Too bad I am watching my weight....yummy!!

Julia

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%