Moist Yellow Cake

Decorating By wendydou Updated 30 Aug 2008 , 4:08am by Kim_in_CajunCountry

wendydou Posted 29 Aug 2008 , 11:32am
post #1 of 9

I;m having a hard time finding a yellow mix that is moist.. I'd love any help! I even used simple syrup on the last mix and it was still dry. Help!!!

Wendy

8 replies
cakemaker61 Posted 29 Aug 2008 , 10:22pm
post #2 of 9

This is just my opinion, but I think yellow cake mixes and white taste just about the same. If someone wanted yellow cake, then I would use white cake mixes, use the whole eggs (which I do anyway) and ad a drop or two of yellow food coloring and wha-la, you'd have yellow cake. I use Pillsbury most of the time and my cakes always turn out moist. I also bake at 325 instead of 350 which takes a little longer, but then the cakes don't get overbaked in case the middle isn't done.

cohen1 Posted 29 Aug 2008 , 10:42pm
post #3 of 9

I use the duncan hines yellow mix all the time and have never had a problem. Also, once I take out the cake, I flip it out of the pan and then line the bottom, I then put it back in the pan and cover it with foil and let it cool covered. The moisture gets trapped and creates and extremly extra moist cake.

Barbara

angel951747 Posted 29 Aug 2008 , 11:03pm
post #4 of 9

I add a little sour cream to my cake mixes (1/2 cup usually). I read somewhere that mayo (1/4 cup) could be used. I tried it, but didn't like it. I was able to taste it, but no one else could.

SeriousCakes Posted 30 Aug 2008 , 1:23am
post #5 of 9

Are you looking for a scratch recipe? I have one that is soooo yummy!

Malakin Posted 30 Aug 2008 , 1:26am
post #6 of 9

My daughter can tell the difference between a yellow cake and a white blindfolded!!! I use the WASC, leave out the almond, use whole eggs instead, and use butter/vanilla flavoring along with milk instead of water, then simple syrup. Works pretty good for me. My daughter loves it.

jennifer7777 Posted 30 Aug 2008 , 1:32am
post #7 of 9

Betty Crocker mixes are always moist to me. Are you overbaking your cakes at all? Make sure you have an oven thermometer and check your oven temp.

SugarFrosted Posted 30 Aug 2008 , 2:42am
post #8 of 9

How do you handle your cakes when you take them out of the oven? How long do you let them cool in the pan before flipping out onto a rack? Then what do you do? Do they sit on the counter naked/uncovered till they are completely cool? I know a lot of people used to do that, my mother included.
I have a different way. The cake cools for 10 minutes in the pan and then is flipped out onto a papertowel-covered rack. Then I cover the top and sides with plastic wrap. Then I set the pan back over the cake and allow to cool completely, several hours at least. The cake cools slowly this way and the moisture stays inside, but it doesn't get gummy, because of the paper towel on the bottom. I have never had a dry cake of any flavor since I have been using this method.

Everyone does different things. Perhaps others will offer their methods so you have several things to try.

Kim_in_CajunCountry Posted 30 Aug 2008 , 4:08am
post #9 of 9

My DH's favorite cake is yellow cake. He likes it even better now that I use the Pound Cake recipe found on the side of the Duncan Hines Classic Yellow Cake Mix box, which includes adding a box of vanilla pudding to the mix.

His eyes roll back in his head every time!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%