Luster Dust

Decorating By Tab1212 Updated 29 Aug 2008 , 8:52pm by deliciously_decadent

Tab1212 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tab1212 Posted 29 Aug 2008 , 11:09am
post #1 of 4

hi, can anyone tell me how i should paint luster dust onto my royal icing tiara? Should I do it whilst last coating is still wet? I've read about painting it mixed with vodka? I don't know where to start with it!!

3 replies
foxymomma521 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
foxymomma521 Posted 29 Aug 2008 , 11:28am
post #2 of 4

Mix it with vodka or lemon extract (or any clear extract). The alcohol makes it shinier and more vibrant. Wait till your tiara is dry and paint on icon_smile.gif

Hollysuann Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Hollysuann Posted 29 Aug 2008 , 7:22pm
post #3 of 4

Speaking from experience...DON"T paint it on too thick. I couldn't get an even color, so I kept going back over one spot and it ended up melting the royal icing and the tiara broke! I had to make a whole new one. icon_sad.gif I have made 7 tiaras and broke 6 of them!! icon_mad.gif

deliciously_decadent Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
deliciously_decadent Posted 29 Aug 2008 , 8:52pm
post #4 of 4

you should use rose essence (or decorators alcohol) its extremely high in alcohol level and as such evaporates very quickly.

Quote:
Quote:

Speaking from experience...DON"T paint it on too thick. I couldn't get an even color, so I kept going back over one spot and it ended up melting the royal icing and the tiara broke! I had to make a whole new one. I have made 7 tiaras and broke 6 of them!!

this can happen when you use ordinary alcohol as it isn' thin enough or evaporate fast enough and so soaks into the RI
wait till it is pretty much dry and paint on (if you use ordinary clear alcohol wait till it is very dry) the rose essence also stops the 'streky' look painted lustre gets with normal alcohol

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%