Square Dancing Cake For 50Th Wedding Anniversary

Decorating By mom1234 Updated 31 Aug 2008 , 5:24am by BCJean

mom1234 Posted 29 Aug 2008 , 3:40am
post #1 of 8

So I got this bright idea to make a square dancing cake for my mom and dad's 50th wedding anniversary because that is where they met and did most of their dating. Now my older sister is coming up and I'm hoping the two of us can make a really cool cake. Any ideas of where to start looking for designs and ideas? Any help would be awesome!

7 replies
kakeladi Posted 29 Aug 2008 , 4:39am
post #2 of 8

Oh how I wish I had access to my Wilton Yrbks....there was a great sq stacked cake a good # of yrs ago.....maybe in the late '80s? I can 'see' it inmy mind....yellow, 2 tier, w/color flow sq dancers around the sides....... Maybe someone will know what I'm talking about...... to help you find it.

sayhellojana Posted 29 Aug 2008 , 5:40am
post #3 of 8

Maybe you could pipe a pattern around the edges like a square dancing skirt? they usually have ruffles and such on the hemlines, maybe a similar idea could be used on the sides of your cake.

mom1234 Posted 30 Aug 2008 , 6:54pm
post #4 of 8

That's a good idea maybe I'll do something along the lines of the skirt. That would be cool. I can remember my dad's one shirt as well

Mike1394 Posted 30 Aug 2008 , 7:10pm
post #5 of 8

I want to see a square cake dance. I would even be happy seeing a round cake dance. Now a sheet cake dancing that would just throw me over the edge. LOLOLOL icon_biggrin.gif

Mike

3GCakes Posted 30 Aug 2008 , 7:25pm
post #6 of 8

Now that's a festive theme! My dad and step-mom met square dancing.

I always think of hay bales, you could do little squares of cake with hay-colored "straw" made with the grass tip...then you "tie" them around each end with black icing....or maybe a fondant or gum paste fiddle....or banjo...or band.

I like the idea of the skirt...square dancing skirts are so flouncy and cool, you could almost do a wonder-mold girl with a fondant square dance skirt.

Have fun! What a great theme!

levinea Posted 30 Aug 2008 , 8:08pm
post #7 of 8

I think a tiered cake would be neat - one tier done in the pattern of a square-dancing skirt (with a ruffle for the lower border) and the other being the plaid pattern of a western men's shirt. Then against one of the tiers you could place black silhouettes of square dancers made out of fondant or gumpaste.

BCJean Posted 31 Aug 2008 , 5:24am
post #8 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike1394

I want to see a square cake dance. I would even be happy seeing a round cake dance. Now a sheet cake dancing that would just throw me over the edge. LOLOLOL icon_biggrin.gif

Mike

What is this, Saturday Night Live?

You know all of our cakes come to life at night, while we are sleeping. That is why some decorators wake up and find the cake which was fine the night before has collapsed or split or the icing slid off......

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%