Servings Size, Colors, And More ... Oh My!

Decorating By amberele Updated 30 Aug 2008 , 3:42am by kakeladi

amberele Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
amberele Posted 29 Aug 2008 , 3:30am
post #1 of 7

Hello everyone icon_smile.gif

I am going to be doing a wedding cake next week. I have a few questions. I have never done a large crowd so the bride and I talked (she's a friend), and we decided to do a small cutting cake, and a large serving cake.

There are supposed to be around 120-150 people coming (depending on weather and travel). I know it was on here somewhere, but I can't find the thread about serving sizes and sheet cakes. would 1/2 sheet do it? plus the 10" and 8" heart shaped cutting cake? I couldn't seem to find it, so I think i was having a "Duh" moment. So anyhow there;s my first question...

Next...

The top layer, and accents are supposed to be maroon.. anyone ever made this color fondant before? How?

Next...

She wants whipped cream frosting. Which recipe would be best for under fondant? I know its a lot of questions.. I've only ever done light BC cakes. Thanks for the help.. you guys are awesome!

Cassie

6 replies
kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 29 Aug 2008 , 4:52am
post #2 of 7

For the whipped cream, use Frosting Pride or Rich's Bettercreme....both are non-dairy whipped 'icings'.

The # of servings you can get from a 12x16x4 sheet cake is 109 = based on a serving size 1x2x4.
I suggest you make one of those, then a two layer 9x13.
Sorry, can't help w/the color.

mommyle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mommyle Posted 29 Aug 2008 , 5:22am
post #3 of 7

Start here.
http://www.wilton.com/cakes/making-cakes/baking-wedding-cake-2-inch-pans.cfm
This tells you how much each cake makes. Based on a 4" tall cake, mind you.

this is the wilton color chart for mixing colors.
http://www.wilton.com/decorating/icing/icing-color-chart.cfm

HTH
Good luck!

KoryAK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KoryAK Posted 29 Aug 2008 , 6:04am
post #4 of 7

I have put fondant on real whipped cream before... and it melts. Try swiss or italian meringue buttercream for a whipped icing that will stand up all night.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 29 Aug 2008 , 9:06pm
post #5 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by kakeladi

For the whipped cream, use Frosting Pride or Rich's Bettercreme....both are non-dairy whipped 'icings'.

The # of servings you can get from a 12x16x4 sheet cake is 109 = based on a serving size 1x2x4.

Take note that's a 2-layer cake.

My math comes out a little different. If you cut the cake 1" x 2" (by 4" tall), then you're cutting a 12x16 cake into 12 rows by 8 columns, which works out to 12x8 = 96 servings (2 layer cake).

12x18, cut in 12 rows by 9 columns = 108 servings (2 layer cake)

amberele Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
amberele Posted 30 Aug 2008 , 3:36am
post #6 of 7

Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! icon_smile.gif

You guys are soooo helpful!

I'll upload a picture of all when its done! THanks!

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 30 Aug 2008 , 3:42am
post #7 of 7

Ooooppppss.
Thanks debiicon_smile.gif I am forgetting my sizes/servings on some of those sizes and I don't have anything to refere back to - don't have any of my books anymore.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%