3Ft Rental Dummy Cake? Help!

Business By jillmakescakes Updated 3 Sep 2008 , 11:36pm by jillmakescakes

jillmakescakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jillmakescakes Posted 29 Aug 2008 , 3:08am
post #1 of 16

Ok, so here's a totally new request for me--

I had someone ask me for a 3ft artificial cake for a 50th birthday party. They are willing to let me choose the design incorporating cream and gold. They also want to know if they can return the dummy afterward because they don't want to just toss it.

I'm ok with doing it because I am hoping to open shop in the next 6-9 months and a 3ft display cake would be a great window display, but I"m a little unsure how much to charge. I've figured that it will cost about $50 just for the dummies (I don't currently have 9 extras).

Any thoughts, suggestions, contract clauses, or tips would be appreciated!!! Thanks!

15 replies
Tashablueyes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tashablueyes Posted 29 Aug 2008 , 4:53am
post #2 of 16

Usually the consensus is that it takes just as much work to decorate a dummy, and they're not cheap to purchase either, so you should actually charge the same as you would for a real cake.

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 29 Aug 2008 , 12:56pm
post #3 of 16

I know I'm in the minority, but I don't think that you should charge EXACTLY what you'd charge for a real wedding cake. Using dummies you're eliminating all of your baking time, so I'd deduct for that. I'd start with the cost of the dummies (and shipping, etc. if you have to order them), then I'd figure out how long it would take me to bake the cakes and subtract that from my overall work time, and that would be the only deduction. Other than that, decorating the dummies is going to take you the same time as decorating a real cake, so you should charge the same for that. In the end it IS going to be almost what a real cake would be, but not exactly.

The customer might not like it, but don't underprice yourself just becasue she's been reading magazines that say dummies are cheaper! They're only cheaper when they're depreciated over time and rented out over and over. If you're making one from the begining it's all about your time and how much that's worth to you.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 29 Aug 2008 , 1:17pm
post #4 of 16

My speech to those who ask about styrofoam cakes:

"It takes the same amount of icing to decorate a fake cake as it does a real one. It takes the same amount of time to decorate a fake cake as it does a real one. It takes the same amount of space in my van to deliver a fake cake as it does a real cake. It takes the same amount of gas in that van to deliver a fake cake as it does a real cake. Working with 6" styrofoam cakes is more work than working with 6" real cakes. I've checked the costs ... I will spend more on styrofoams than I will on cake ingredients. So..... um ..... I'm sorry, you're suppose to get it cheaper WHY?" icon_confused.gif

That said, I will do fake cakes or fake tiers for 80% of the cost of the real cake.

I have the numbers on my FAQ page to show a bride how getting a styrofoam cake AND sheet cakes can end up costing her way more than just getting a regular real wedding cake.

psurrette Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
psurrette Posted 29 Aug 2008 , 1:37pm
post #5 of 16

I agree with indydeb!

You can get cake dummies here for a great cost and shipping
www.dallasfoamonline.com

cakelady15 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakelady15 Posted 29 Aug 2008 , 2:29pm
post #6 of 16

I agree with everyone else that the cost should be pretty close to the same as a regular cake because it does take just as long minus the baking. The only thing I might consider on this is giving them a slight discount because they are going to return it and you said that you would be able to use it again as a display piece in your shop. Normally I wouldn't give a discount for them returning it because really what am I going to do with iticon_smile.gif If you can use it again though you might want to consider that. Not a big discount though!!!! icon_biggrin.gif

Tashablueyes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tashablueyes Posted 29 Aug 2008 , 2:30pm
post #7 of 16

psurrette, since it blocked the name, could you please email me or pm me the info? I want to buy dummies, and I get that they're not cheap to ship, but the shipping on some is nuts!

psurrette Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
psurrette Posted 29 Aug 2008 , 3:12pm
post #8 of 16

How come it came up blocked? We can tell people where to get things?
I guess I didnt know

FromScratch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FromScratch Posted 29 Aug 2008 , 3:17pm
post #9 of 16

We can.. it's just that D allas F oam is blocked and no one knows why. It's silly.. they are a great company to work with.

My thought is that it costs me as much if not more for dummies (if you factor the shipping) and that's with the lack of baking time included since it doesn't cost a ton to run an oven. So a custom made dummy cake.. the same amount as a custom made real cake. If they are giving it back.. then you could take that into consideration and deduct the cost of the dummies including shipping.. but that's as much as I could do.

snarkybaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
snarkybaker Posted 30 Aug 2008 , 12:45am
post #10 of 16

Here's what I offer with dummy cakes.

I end up doing a lot of them for photo shoots and bridal fairs. If the bride wants to rent them it's $150, plus the cost of the party cake ( what we call a bigg-azz filled sheet cake). No cake from us...No dummy. They give us a deposit in the amount of the full price of the cake, and damage is deducted. If it is a big wedding, they will save some money, but the reason brides have done it in the past are: Outdoor reception and want to safely display the cake, want a much bigger cake than the servings they need, and fell in love with one of our magazine cakes, but can't spend $1000 on cake.

FromScratch Posted 30 Aug 2008 , 2:04am
post #11 of 16

I can totally see that for already done dummies.. I'd offer something like that too if I had a bunch lying around. icon_smile.gif

jillmakescakes Posted 3 Sep 2008 , 8:56pm
post #12 of 16

Ok, so here is the update - after figuring how much fondant/dummies/ royal icing and time it would take to make a 9 tier cake for a birthday, I came up with a price of $600 and offered to refund $100 if the cake was returned in original condition. My "customer" called to tell me that was out of their budget.

Was my price unreasonable, or was their imagination bigger than their budget?

Jenni2383 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jenni2383 Posted 3 Sep 2008 , 9:24pm
post #13 of 16

Imagination bigger than budget, I'd say.........9 tier??? That's a lot of work, don't they understand that, maybe you should have them over for a demo icon_smile.gif

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 3 Sep 2008 , 9:52pm
post #14 of 16

Ditto what Jenni said. If it takes you 10 hours, that's only $6/hour, not counting supplies.

Smile and walk away.

FromScratch Posted 3 Sep 2008 , 11:21pm
post #15 of 16

What sized tiers did she want?? A 9 tiered cake for your birthday?? And $600??????? Unless it was a micro cake.. tier's 1"- 9". Did she have a vision for this monster cake??

I agree.. be glad you didn't end up doing it.. you would have kicked yourself at that price.

jillmakescakes Posted 3 Sep 2008 , 11:36pm
post #16 of 16

They wanted a 3ft tall cake to make a big presentation for a 50th birthday for a pastor of a large congregation. The only reason that I was OK with the price was because I would use the cake as a display in my shop. Either way, I'm perfectly OK with not doing it. I don't have the space to store a 3ft cake until I open my doors.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%