Caramel Frosting Recipe?

Decorating By basketlacey Updated 29 Aug 2008 , 3:26pm by cherrycakes

basketlacey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
basketlacey Posted 29 Aug 2008 , 2:41am
post #1 of 4

I am looking for a good caramel frosting recipe to put on top of a yellow cake. I am going to decorate on top of it so it needs to set pretty well (or preferably to crust a little bit). Can anyone help? There are several recipes in the recipe section but not many reviews. I would like some first hand information.

3 replies
nickshalfpint Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nickshalfpint Posted 29 Aug 2008 , 3:02pm
post #2 of 4

I made a snickers cake for my mom and it called for caramel buttercream. All I did was add caramel to my buttercream. I just kept adding the caramel to taste. It didn't crust real well. But the next time I did it I added caramel (not as much as before) and caramel flavoring. It crusted perfectly. HTH

jimagination Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jimagination Posted 29 Aug 2008 , 3:22pm
post #3 of 4

This is my grandmothers recipe and is a family favorite...
Melt 1 stick of butter in a pan add 1 cup of packed brown sugar- cookon low for 2 minutes. Add 1/4 cup of milk, stirring until mixture comes to a boil. Remove from heat and cool. Add 1 1/2 cups of 10x sugar and beat until spreadable. This is a crusting recipe and is really good.

cherrycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cherrycakes Posted 29 Aug 2008 , 3:26pm
post #4 of 4

Hi,

I have a wonderful caramel icing recipe which I posted in this post:

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopicp-6027083-.html#6027083

It does crust fairly fast and it's hard to make it completely smooth but it's very yummy!! If you look in my pictures it's "Grandpa's cake".

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%