How To Make An Opera Cake. Tips & Experiences. Anyone?

Decorating By maimai16 Updated 31 Aug 2008 , 2:38pm by maimai16

maimai16 Posted 29 Aug 2008 , 2:16am
post #1 of 12

hi CCers! :wave:

i've dying to try this cake but dont have the courage to give it a shot... maybe you guys could help me by giving tips and tricks you have done to make doing this cake easier thumbs_up.gif

thanks in advance! icon_biggrin.gif

btw, here's the pic of the cake

11 replies
thecakebox Posted 29 Aug 2008 , 4:15am
post #2 of 12

Opera cake is not hard, but there are a lot of components to it, do you have recipes for everything? Maybe it would help if we knew exactly what kind of help you were looking for?

bekahzzz Posted 29 Aug 2008 , 12:26pm
post #3 of 12

I make these all the time. My best advice would be not to rush But here are some other tips...make sure to refridgerate between each step. Bake the cake in the thin layers already so you don't have to try and cut them yourself. All the layers are supposed to be the same size so make you think about that when spreading ganache and buttercream. Lastly if you make the glaze a thinner than the one pictured you wont have to spread it as much and it will keep its sheen more.

Let me know if you have any questions, I just made one last weekicon_smile.gif

maimai16 Posted 29 Aug 2008 , 1:38pm
post #4 of 12

actually i've been searching for a recipe that i think is simple and the ingredients are not that hard to find here in our place. or if someone is willing to share and would swear that they got rave reviews on their recipe icon_biggrin.gif and, sorry for not being specific on what i needed hehe anyway, here are the links of the recipes that i've been reading...
hmmm... what do you think? icon_smile.gif

thanks for your response... expect a pm from me these days hehe would you mind sharing the recipe you used? icon_biggrin.gif

bekahzzz Posted 29 Aug 2008 , 1:43pm
post #5 of 12

I'll check when i get home...I know the only recipe I used was for the almond jaconde cake. I can get you that one though.
Then I just made ganache and italian buttercream (flavored with coffee extract). As for the coffee syrup, I used a simple syrup and while it was still hot added instant coffee and kaluha to it....worked well for me. Feel free to contact me!

holoien003 Posted 29 Aug 2008 , 2:06pm
post #6 of 12

ummm...what the heck is an opera cake?

bekahzzz Posted 29 Aug 2008 , 2:13pm
post #7 of 12

Its layers of almond cake with coffee buttercream, chocolate ganacha and chocolate glaze on top with the edges trimmed to show all the layers...

maimai16 Posted 29 Aug 2008 , 2:24pm
post #8 of 12

anything would be fine hehehe actually i'm thinking to make SMBC because i tried SMBC before though i think IMBC is much stable than SMBC... i guess i'll just wait for your recipe... i'm so excited hihihi

according to the first link i have posted the classic opera cake is a work in six acts. there are three thin layers of almond cake, each soaked in a potent coffee syrup; a layer of espresso-flavored buttercream; one layer of bittersweet chocolate ganache; and a topping of chocolate glaze. traditionally, the cake is decorated with its name written in glaze across the top and finished with a piece of shimmering gold leaf. it is obviously a rich cake, but it is surprisingly not a filling cake, and I'm convinced this is because Maestro Niau has orchestrated the cake's elements so perfectly.

maimai16 Posted 29 Aug 2008 , 2:27pm
post #9 of 12

i am so eager to make this cake because it is so light and yummy... the combination of chiffon like cake soaked with coffee, iced with coffee buttercream and bittersweet choco ganache is divine... i think i can eat the whole cake hihihi

StephW Posted 29 Aug 2008 , 2:53pm
post #10 of 12

This cake sounds so interesting. I have never heard of it before. Can it be made with other flavors... something besides the coffee flavor?

bekahzzz Posted 29 Aug 2008 , 3:04pm
post #11 of 12

It can be made with anything you like, those are just the "classic" flavors of the cake with the "Opera" title.
I'm pretty sure it was a challenge on the daring bakers website, so if you google "opera cake" you can see a bunch of variations.

maimai16 Posted 31 Aug 2008 , 2:38pm
post #12 of 12

i just noticed that the steps in assembling opera and tres leche is almost the same... they just differ on flavors...

Quote by @%username% on %date%