Cake Mix...

Decorating By ElinJ Updated 29 Aug 2008 , 9:08pm by indydebi

ElinJ Posted 29 Aug 2008 , 1:17am
post #1 of 4

As you can tell, I'm new to here, but most of the posts Ive read so far, involve using boxed cake mixtures? Does that mean its pretty much pre made for you?

If so why do you do this? is it because it lasts longer than using fresher ingredients??

I find my own recipe far better than any boxed stuff...The only thing I'm worried about is that it wont hold fondant icing because the sponge I make is very light?

3 replies
foxymomma521 Posted 29 Aug 2008 , 1:19am
post #2 of 4

If you search, you'll find a ton of box vs. mix threads. Welcome to CC by the way!

TexasSugar Posted 29 Aug 2008 , 4:06am
post #3 of 4

If you have a scratch recipe that works great for you, then don't change it. What works for some doesn't always work for others.

Alot of people that use cake mixes don't have luck finding the right scratch recipes for them, just like cake mixes better, or don't have a desire to change what isn't broken for them.

And on this site for every scratch baker you are going to find a cake mixer or doctored cake mixer. icon_smile.gif

As far as your cake being too light for fondant, I guess the only way to really find out is try it. If it doesn't, maybe some of the scratch bakers can help you find out.

indydebi Posted 29 Aug 2008 , 9:08pm
post #4 of 4
Originally Posted by ElinJ

Does that mean its pretty much pre made for you?

No, it doesn't mean that.

Quote by @%username% on %date%