Can I Use Buttermilk 3 Days Past The Date On The Carton?

Decorating By mom2spunkynbug Updated 29 Aug 2008 , 4:07am by Mac

mom2spunkynbug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mom2spunkynbug Posted 29 Aug 2008 , 1:15am
post #1 of 9

I JUST got back from the store buying red food color for a red velvet cake and notice just now that the buttermilk I have expired 3 days ago!! Do you think it is ok to use? Or should I be safe & go to the store and get more?

8 replies
JodieF Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JodieF Posted 29 Aug 2008 , 1:32am
post #2 of 9

Is it unopened? If it is, it's probably fine. Open it and smell it. Believe me, if it's bad, you'll be able to tell! icon_lol.gif

Jodie

lorrieg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lorrieg Posted 29 Aug 2008 , 1:33am
post #3 of 9

Check the milk and if it's gone all watery on the top and clumpy underneath it's probably gone. Or shake it and see if it's still smooth when it pours. Then it'll be okay.

You might want to keep buttermilk powder on hand for times like this.

I'm sure some here will be unhappy with anyone using something past it's best before date but it doesn't magically "turn" on that date. icon_smile.gif

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 29 Aug 2008 , 1:42am
post #4 of 9

Is the date listed as a 'use by' date or a 'sell by' date. If it is a sell by date this is just the date that the store is suppose to pull it and you can use it for a little longer.

I have used buttermilk more than 3 days after the date and we are all still alive in my family. icon_smile.gif

If it is clumpy or lumpy throw it out. If it is still smooth you are fine.

woodthi32 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
woodthi32 Posted 29 Aug 2008 , 1:57am
post #5 of 9

I have used buttermilk WAAAAY after the date. If it smells fine and pours smooth after a vigorous shake, it is just fine.................... Buttermilk lasts a lot longer, honestly, than the date on it.

babybundt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
babybundt Posted 29 Aug 2008 , 2:16am
post #6 of 9

it should be fine. if not you can use regular milk with vinegar mixed in. not sure of the amount od vinegar to use but if you look in a good cookbook it will tell you how to make the substitue for buttermilk...............

babybundt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
babybundt Posted 29 Aug 2008 , 2:16am
post #7 of 9

it should be fine. if not you can use regular milk with vinegar mixed in. not sure of the amount of vinegar to use but if you look in a good cookbook it will tell you how to make the substitue for buttermilk............... icon_smile.gificon_smile.gif

sorry about the double post.....

Tellis12 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tellis12 Posted 29 Aug 2008 , 3:09am
post #8 of 9

I had this problem, but I couldn't tell by the "smell" because I think it smells bad anyway! It's good to know you've all used it a couple days after. Thanks!

Mac Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mac Posted 29 Aug 2008 , 4:07am
post #9 of 9

My MIL has used buttermilk a month after the date and we are still here.
I agree that it smells bad anyway so I can't tell that way.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%