Fondant In The Fridge??

Decorating By sugarmamma03 Updated 31 Aug 2008 , 8:32pm by Denae

sugarmamma03 Posted 28 Aug 2008 , 11:13pm
post #1 of 7

I am very confused about whether or not it is okay to keep a fondant covered cake in the fridge while you finish decorating the other tiers? I have heard yes and no, and I am wondering what the best way to store these cakes would be?
I live in Alberta, Canada. I don't know if location/humidity, etc make a difference or not.
How do you store your cakes?

6 replies
PinkZiab Posted 29 Aug 2008 , 12:43am
post #2 of 7

I refrigerate all of my cakes, without exception. I work 99% in fondant (I only do buttercream cakes as a special request... and only if they beg lol). I will note that I only use Satin Ice or "regular" homemade fondant (gelatin, glucose, PS & water), and I've never used MMF, so that could make a difference. But Satin Ice and my homemade stand up perfectly in the fridge. All of the cakes in the commercial settings I have been in have also been refrigerated, fully fondanted (usually Satin Ice, as well).

Ruth0209 Posted 29 Aug 2008 , 12:56am
post #3 of 7

I always refrigerate my fondant cakes, too. I do uncover them and bring them to room temperature a bit ahead so if they "sweat" they have time to dry out again. Just don't touch them if there's condensation on them or you'll leave marks. In my climate they dry off just fine. In a more humid environment, it probably takes longer.

sugarmamma03 Posted 29 Aug 2008 , 2:16pm
post #4 of 7

Thanks so much!

maisyone2 Posted 29 Aug 2008 , 2:47pm
post #5 of 7

I rarely refrigerate my cakes. There's truly not a need to unless you are using an icing or filling that absolutely requires refrigeration. In the 30 yrs I've been doing cakes, I've never had a problem because I didn't refrigerate a cake.

mommakristin Posted 29 Aug 2008 , 2:50pm
post #6 of 7

When i first started I would freeze my cakes ahead of time and then cover them with fondant then refrigerate them. I had a heck of a time with them sweating. I don't know exactly how long to let them sit to become room temp before I start working with them. Plus, my concern is I have always used water to adhere my fondant flowers, details etc. when you set the cake out to bring it to room temp then put it back in the fridge then take it out again, the water that is holding the details on also starts to run and then your cake starts to look horrible.

I just find a helpful trick to applying the details other than water so i am going to try that maybe that wont run down a cold cake at room temp.

Denae Posted 31 Aug 2008 , 8:32pm
post #7 of 7

hey jana...i alway refrigerate my fondant covered cakes. BUT, i don't refrigerate them until i am completely done. when you take them in and out of the fridge...when they start to "thaw"...they sweat really bad and when you are working with it, they are a lot easier to mess up and the colors start to run. plus, it's a lot better to deliver cakes or have your customers to pick the cakes when they are chilled..less room for error, that way the cake isn't so soft.

Quote by @%username% on %date%