I Just Passed My Inspection

Business By momtobtb Updated 1 Sep 2008 , 11:31pm by avgsuperheroine

momtobtb Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
momtobtb Posted 28 Aug 2008 , 9:53pm
post #1 of 11

I love Iowa is all I can say. The inspector just left and gave me my home food license for the state of Iowa. I can legally sell potentially hazardous foods (cream fillings, cheesecakes) baked in my home kitchen! I really don't need a license in Iowa to decorate and sell cakes from my home kitchen, but this just makes it better for me in the long run.

All the inspector did was sat me down at my kitchen table and told me what all I needed. He took the temp of my fridge and that was it! He was impressed that I had my cake stuff already seperate and a thermometer in my fridge and freezer already (thanks to you all at CC for that). I was so nervous because I do have dogs, but he saw the baby gate I have up between the kitchen and the living room and said that was good. I still have it up for my son and the dogs so it works out.

I even have the go ahead to set up at local farmer's markets. YIPPEE!!!

10 replies
Swede-cakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Swede-cakes Posted 28 Aug 2008 , 10:56pm
post #2 of 11

WOHOOO! Congrats, Becky! I went through this a few months ago. I'm excited for you! ...Now get cakin'! icon_biggrin.gifthumbs_up.gif

Lenette Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lenette Posted 28 Aug 2008 , 11:07pm
post #3 of 11

Congratulations! I wish you all the best of success!

thumbs_up.gif

cakefanatic Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakefanatic Posted 28 Aug 2008 , 11:15pm
post #4 of 11

Congrats!!!on your victory and best of luck to you. icon_wink.gif

mommyle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mommyle Posted 28 Aug 2008 , 11:15pm
post #5 of 11

Totally jealous!!! Way to go!!!
The hoops that we have to go through up here... UGh!!!
Good luck and Good baking!!!

JFoshee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JFoshee Posted 28 Aug 2008 , 11:16pm
post #6 of 11

I'm excited for you and envious. I live in Florida. You can't have a "legal"home kitchen set up for baking. I also have a detached building that the dept of Agriculture said I could use, but zoning in my county said that home baking does not qualify as a home based business. I'm so upset. I almost set up shop at a catering store and was going to rent her kitchen. But I just can't be away from the house full time like that with the rest of my family duties.

But congratulations to you in Iowa!!!!!

lardbutt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lardbutt Posted 29 Aug 2008 , 2:54pm
post #7 of 11

Maybe I should move to Iowa! SC doesn't allow ANYTHING! icon_cry.gif

Congratulations, I wish you much success!!!!!!!!

Iloveweddings Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Iloveweddings Posted 30 Aug 2008 , 12:46am
post #8 of 11

Congratulations! I am so happy for you. icon_smile.gif

avgsuperheroine Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
avgsuperheroine Posted 1 Sep 2008 , 7:44pm
post #9 of 11

I'm curious, I live in Iowa also in a smaller town. The lady that did our wedding cake said she has to use a commercial kitchen to do cakes. What's the circumstances that make it possible to do it at home? Id be interested in doing some occasionally.

momtobtb Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
momtobtb Posted 1 Sep 2008 , 10:29pm
post #10 of 11

avgsuperheroine,

In Iowa it's very easy to set up shop in your own home. If you don't plan on selling any potentially hazardous foods (cream fillings, cheesecakes, etc....items that need to be refrigerated) then you don't need a license. If you want to sell cream fillings and will make less than $20,000 a year doing so then you need a home food operation license which is what I got. If you make over $20,000 then you will need a commercial kitchen set up. I have the forms from the State if you'd like for me to email them to you. I'll PM you.

Also, check with your county/city to see if they have certain restrictions. The only thing we can't do is have customers come by the house to pick up their cakes and pay since this isn't a storefront. It's more of a zoning issue as well.

avgsuperheroine Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
avgsuperheroine Posted 1 Sep 2008 , 11:31pm
post #11 of 11

Thanks for the info. I wonder if our cake lady can't do it in her hoome because she has so much business. We only have one bakery in town (other than walmart) and she's the only other cake person I know of for a town of 12,000 so she keeps pretty busy. She doesn't do fondant though, and I only work with that. I thought it may be fun to eventually sell them.

Gotta go my bday cake is ready for me. Thanks again-

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%